It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research: White conservatives prefer authoritarianism to democracy if marginalized people benefit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Well there has been a strong link between Libertarians and white supremacists.

Most American Libertarains are just hypocrites who only do not approve of "big government" when they dont see it forwarding their interests.

When "big government" does promote their interests, suddenly they lose their Libertarian principals.

So of course they would support a tyranical strong man.

Why did so many so called Libertarians go on to support Donald Trump ? The guy is the farthest thing from a Libertarian, but again he is backed by the Kochs and the Libertarian apparatus because they want lower taxes for billionaires and deregulation for banks and corporations.

Those are the interests of the oligarchs, but as for the regular people, they are brainwashed by right wing propaganda to see their interests defined by THEIR RACE, and thus will support "big government" when it supports their percieved racial/cultural interests (the wall, immigration restrictions) and be against it when the opposite is true.(social programs) this is a funny one because social welfare programs help far more white people than minorities, but they are just so brainwashed into thinking that only minorities benefit from these programs, that they oppose their very own interests all in the name of "sticking it to some coloured people".

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

"In practice, the GOP has increasingly been embracing a politics of white resentment tied to disenfranchisement. "Since Richard Nixon's ‘Southern Strategy,’ the GOP has pigeon-holed itself as, in large part, an aggrieved white people's party,"

As I mentioned earlier: not all conservatives are racist, but a vast majority of racists are conservative.

I am white, but not conservative. I prefer to judge people based on their merits or lack thereof.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harpua
a reply to: FyreByrd

The immigration "problem" is closely related with our foreign policy. It is not a straw man argument, it shows causation and responsibility for the "problem.

And to address other critiques of my thread title or the premise of the study, while not all white conservatives are racists, I'd venture to guess that all white racists are conservative. Trump stokes those fires intentionally and the racists love it. To support him without acknowledging this and opposing this aspect of his personality and policy is troubling.

I voted for Obama but was sickened by his paying wall st criminals and bombing nations we aren't at war with.

What I don't see happening with Trump supporters is their willingness to call him out for the morally reprehensible things he says which further stokes the flames of racists.

Pocohantas, mexican rapists and killers, # hole countries... every time he says something like this, people on here defend him in every way imaginable instead of saying, yeah, thats wrong... but I like his tax cuts, so I don't care.

That at least would be intellectually honest.

It is a strawman as the OP was "White conservatives prefer authoritarianism to democracy if marginalized people benefit" - there is nothing at all about immigrant vs citizen - just color.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Ok, I'll start a separate thread where I show that our foreign policy help lead the way to people wanting to leave their country for ours... and this in turn triggers with racist tendencies to want a tyrant to run the show.

Will that help ease the pain of this logical fallacy?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harpua
a reply to: infolurker

"In practice, the GOP has increasingly been embracing a politics of white resentment tied to disenfranchisement. "Since Richard Nixon's ‘Southern Strategy,’ the GOP has pigeon-holed itself as, in large part, an aggrieved white people's party,"

As I mentioned earlier: not all conservatives are racist, but a vast majority of racists are conservative.

I am white, but not conservative. I prefer to judge people based on their merits or lack thereof.

Interesting you say that considering the topic of the thread.

Its not adding up is it?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: loam

originally posted by: FyreByrd

...and have friends who'll tell us when we are being inconsistant with our values.

I take it that hasn't happened for you.

IMO they are pushing a narrative and to me it looks disingenuous and purposeful.

That's just my opinion though, probably wrong but I also doubt I have to tell you that.

Note that this thread, as many have recently, has brought out the throwaway members names that will be gone in two weeks.

This is the ongoing influence campaign. It's allegedly all about Russian influence, but the ongoing forum trolling is ignored. I've seen dozens upon dozens of names show up since shortly after the election. It's paid opposition. Any guess who might be paying? The good news is that this bs is backfiring on them.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Anyone else find it ironic that "scientific studies" of a racist nature or premise are now FLOWING out of our Universities on the daily?

How many favor minorities or bash whites? My guess is nearly all.

Disturbing trend.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   

For instance, people who said they did not want to live next door to immigrants or to people of another race were more supportive of the idea of military rule, or of a strongman-type leader who could ignore legislatures and election results.

Dems are the only ones who seem to be ignoring legislatures and election results.

Is there concern by Trump supporters on here that they will be marginalized if minorities, women, homosexuals etc have the same rights as them?

There are plenty of minorities, women, homosexuals ect, who are Trump supporters. All Trump supporters aren't white men.

edit on 7-7-2018 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I said nothing about the study.

I said everything about the purpose it was put to. You know jack-all about the intolerant whites, their political leanings and voting patterns. The newspaper article in question takes old data and draws a heck of a faulty logic leap to decide that all those people in the data are automatically Trump voters and conservative. *That's* the fake news angle here.

God is Love -> Love is Blind -> Ray Charles is Blind -> Ray Charles is God!

That's the sort of logic chain this article constructs and you want to buy it because you so desperately need to believe that anyone who didn't support Hillary had to have some nefarious, evil motive for it.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Harpua

These days, any none- neo-Marxist policy is branded as white oppressive.

Good grief! You find papers produced that will teach you that math is white oppressive.
edit on 7-7-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues

For instance, people who said they did not want to live next door to immigrants or to people of another race were more supportive of the idea of military rule, or of a strongman-type leader who could ignore legislatures and election results.

Dems are the only ones who seem to be ignoring legislatures and election results.

Is there concern by Trump supporters on here that they will be marginalized if minorities, women, homosexuals etc have the same rights as them?

There are plenty of minorities, women, homosexuals ect, who are Trump supporters. All Trump supporters aren't white men.

To me, the funniest part, is the Prez the Donald won, by a narrower margin, than the 2 time Obama voters, who voted for him!

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Fully noted and agreed with.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
And this is really a symptom of the emotional blackmail certain elements of the country are trying to perpetrate.

"Do as we say or else we'll continue to deride you as the horrible, awful, no-good, very, very bad people you will prove yourselves to be by not doing what we say because only we are the arbiters of the new moral purity in this country."

It's a sort of religious thing in a way.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

neo-inquisition

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

It's worse. Given the birth-rates, we actually need immigration in order not to have a SHTF scenario within a few decades.

And that's the hidden irony with the closed border policy of the more "conservative" fear & loathing in the West here. They're either too ignorant and stupid to think things through or there is something more sinister at work, with the endgame of wrecking havoc on our social security systems. Could be both though.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I am simply opposed to being pushed around by authoritatians.

Then do you oppose Trump? The man is trying to turn America into a fascist dictatorship.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

The citizens being brought in need to be productive ones. Simply mass recruiting a bunch of people who are going to live on social safety net systems for all of their lives and raise children who are mostly doing likewise doesn't solve your demographic crunch, it adds to it.

Most conservatives I know are not opposed to immigration. We are opposed to the mass importation of the low skilled simply because ... reasons, and the mass amnesty of those who broke laws to enter this country.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Just reading the research it's clean the person went in with a biased agenda and simply made the conclusions they want happen. Why are they researching White people?

Reading further it's a clear agenda hack piece. I would trust this about as much as an alcoholic with a bottle of wine and my car keys.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I pray that history will be kind to the rightful heirs of this nation. I would love to see a true Native American as a leader of this nation. I don't blame the current generation for the past. But I do think that the current generation should be doing a lot more to recognize and make amends for such atrocities perpetrated against your great people.

I have been lucky enough to befriend several native Americans in my life. Some of the most beautiful and spiritual people I have had the pleasure to meet.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I said nothing about the study.

I said everything about the purpose it was put to. You know jack-all about the intolerant whites, their political leanings and voting patterns. The newspaper article in question takes old data and draws a heck of a faulty logic leap to decide that all those people in the data are automatically Trump voters and conservative. *That's* the fake news angle here.

God is Love -> Love is Blind -> Ray Charles is Blind -> Ray Charles is God!

That's the sort of logic chain this article constructs and you want to buy it because you so desperately need to believe that anyone who didn't support Hillary had to have some nefarious, evil motive for it.

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much" William Shakespeare

Or "A little to close to home for comfort"?

<< 1  2    4 >>

join