It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research: White conservatives prefer authoritarianism to democracy if marginalized people benefit

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

“The whole notion of whiteness as we know it depends on not being a minority,” says Brian Glover, a professor who specializes in 18th-century British literature at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina.

“In the 20th century, the white man was the best deal that anybody ever had in the history of the planet.

I mean, in America you could feel like you were at the center of everything. You didn’t have to justify yourself.”

www.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Harpua

OK, so this study has nothing at all to do with Trump or actual Trump voters.

It was a study of intolerant white folks that said nothing about their actual political ideology or how they voted. For all we know, they may have been a bunch of KKK democrat voters (you know, Robert Byrd types).

But because the press is full-on invested in the idea that all Trump supporters are white folks and that Trump himself is an intolerant bigot, then this study must be a bunch of his hand-picked supporters having been surveyed despite the fact that the data they used came from:

The World Values Survey data used is from the period 1995 to 2011

For goodness sakes, they started collecting data from the Clinton Era! ... but by all means, let's follow right along with the press and believe this survey has something exclusive to do with Trump and people who vote for him!

Be good little sheep.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Looks like the "surveys" are biased and trollish and total social/political bait.

Desperate election year with more at stake than usual.

💥🎃💥

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

What the hell???

The study is on:

white people who did not want to have immigrants or people of different races living next door to them

How does that equate to Trump people or conservatives????

Unbelievable how some people gorge themselves on such BS.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The World Values Survey is a huge data base of information that you can search and compile in many different fashions. The available data is through 2014. It is the basis for the Research Paper referenced in the OP's cited article. If you want lots of raw data, it's here:

www.worldvaluessurvey.org...

The actual paper can be found here - it is scholarly with embedded reference to the sources used.

github.com...

So that you may decide whether or not the methodology is up to "Your" standards.

PS: This is really a good paper. Unfortunately I don't seem able to cut and past parapgraphs... I'll continue to try.

Their conclusion in White Outgroup Intolerance and Declining Support for American Democracy feels valid to me. It answers, and I'm continuing to read, some questions that seemed very strange to me. The confluence of Constitution and individual rights worship and the approval of laws and actions in clear contradiction to the Constitution. I've always found that particular Values mismatch (especially the inability to decern the mismatch) quite disturbing.

I like folk to be aware of their inconsistancies - we all are - it helps if we are aware (and have friends who'll tell us when we are being inconsistant with our values).

edit on 6-7-2018 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Send this thread to the HOAX Bin.

I found the actual study....

Your thread title is biased as hell considering the category breakdowns and I would say identifying Conservatives as this outgroup is bull. I will include the link and the graph.

And BTW, That Outgroup is not Republicans as that breakdown is shown separately.

Intentional deceptive thread title as your NBC article source doesn't identify Conservatives as this "Outgroup" or even have the word Conservative in the article at all!

Coincidently, the word Conservative is NOT in the Study one time either.

LOL.

github.com...

edit on 6-7-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

It's worse than a hoax.

It's the appropriation of one group's hate to slime and justify your own hate of an entirely different group.

Spooky times.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

oh look more anti white confirmation bias

you wouldn't be pushing a specific agenda on purpose would you?

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
The World Values Survey is a huge data base of information that you can search and compile in many different fashions. The available data is through 2014. It is the basis for the Research Paper referenced in the OP's cited article. If you want lots of raw data, it's here:

www.worldvaluessurvey.org...

The actual paper can be found here - it is scholarly with embedded reference to the sources used.

github.com...

So that you may decide whether or not the methodology is up to "Your" standards.

PS: This is really a good paper. Unfortunately I don't seem able to cut and past parapgraphs... I'll continue to try.

Their conclusion in White Outgroup Intolerance and Declining Support for American Democracy feels valid to me. It answers, and I'm continuing to read, some questions that seemed very strange to me. The confluence of Constitution and individual rights worship and the approval of laws and actions in clear contradiction to the Constitution. I've always found that particular Values mismatch (especially the inability to decern the mismatch) quite disturbing.

I like folk to be aware of their inconsistancies - we all are - it helps if we are aware (and have friends who'll tell us when we are being inconsistant with our values).

got it, I know who you are for sure now

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
We actually already know which part of the brain controls such behavior. Posterior Medial Frontal Cortex. It controls belief in God but it also controls such behavior as intolerance towards others, such as immigrants. Experiments have shown that as the part of the brain is shut off, belief in God also goes down and tolerance towards others goes up.

We think we shape our opinions and values one way, then we find out we're just wired that way. It may be very. very difficult to simply rewire those connections, which is why people rarely change.

I'm sure this is hardly going to be the last study on it, but at least a link is found. The scary part is that once we know what controls what, we are susceptible to control.

NCBI
PNAS
PsyPost
Daily Beast

once again you are misrepresenting an argument which is typical of the left. you are making the argument about all immigrants not illegal immigrants and unchecked immigration

you see how you guys try to manipulate and twist the narrative to support the agenda?

how do I get on the e-mail list??

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   

...and have friends who'll tell us when we are being inconsistant with our values.

I take it that hasn't happened for you.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

the article will make many on the left feel smug and superior that the lowly white man has been proven to be not only xenophobic, but wishes authoritarian rule.

While all the while the left is fighting tooth and nail for an omnipotent government to rule them all.

For the record, as a Cherokee woman, build the damn wall.

I am not threatened by a minority... I AM one.

I also understand sovereignty.

This isn't about other cultures.

It is all about people entering our country illegally.

I hope that is simple enough for you to understand.

I doubt it will be.

ETA: Feel free to ask a Native American about the results of unchecked immigration. We have some stories for you!

Well said, and much respect to you

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Article is extremely biased.

I do agree with some of the statements, white privilege is actually taken for granted, and that both sides of the political spectrum need to check themselves before they wreck themselves.
It's a world that no one will ever really understand, because unless you know people on an individual level it will never seem eye to eye.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harpua

originally posted by: toysforadults
racist drivel

I'll be voting for Trump in 2020 and full Republican ticket in 2018.

oh just an fyi white nations seem to be the place where the rest of the worlds poor are actually dying to get to to live in better conditions

just saying

I'm guessing you missed the part where the US destabilizes and topples regimes unfriendly to our interests, most often leading to corrupt leadership of those nations.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

...and have friends who'll tell us when we are being inconsistant with our values.

I take it that hasn't happened for you.

IMO they are pushing a narrative and to me it looks disingenuous and purposeful.

That's just my opinion though, probably wrong but I also doubt I have to tell you that.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Your thread title is biased as hell considering the category breakdowns and I would say identifying Conservatives as this outgroup is bull. I will include the link and the graph.

And BTW, That Outgroup is not Republicans as that breakdown is shown separately.

Intentional deceptive thread title as your NBC article source doesn't identify Conservatives as this "Outgroup" or even have the word Conservative in the article at all!

LOL.

github.com...

I did too and was able to cite is accuately.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Declining Support for American Democracy

What does that mean?

Let me guess you won't explain that point of view thoroughly in a way that others can understand.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

LOL.

github.com...

I did too and was able to cite is accuately.

Great....Now show us where "Conservative" is mentioned?

You can't because it is not.

The title of this thread is Bull.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   

The immigration "problem" is closely related with our foreign policy. It is not a straw man argument, it shows causation and responsibility for the "problem.

And to address other critiques of my thread title or the premise of the study, while not all white conservatives are racists, I'd venture to guess that all white racists are conservative. Trump stokes those fires intentionally and the racists love it. To support him without acknowledging this and opposing this aspect of his personality and policy is troubling.

I voted for Obama but was sickened by his paying wall st criminals and bombing nations we aren't at war with.

What I don't see happening with Trump supporters is their willingness to call him out for the morally reprehensible things he says which further stokes the flames of racists.

Pocohantas, mexican rapists and killers, # hole countries... every time he says something like this, people on here defend him in every way imaginable instead of saying, yeah, thats wrong... but I like his tax cuts, so I don't care.

That at least would be intellectually honest.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   

OK,

Research: White conservatives prefer authoritarianism to democracy if marginalized people benefit

Where do you see conservative mentioned in the study or the NBC story you are using as a source?

Or..... Are all white people conservative?

<< 1    3  4 >>

join