It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research: White conservatives prefer authoritarianism to democracy if marginalized people benefit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
www.nbcnews.com...

I find this study troubling and in many ways true. Since this is such a hotbed of Trump supporters, I am asking for intellectually honest (meaning willing to admit your biases, fears etc) replies to the main themes of this article.

Based on surveys from the United States, the authors found that white people who did not want to have immigrants or people of different races living next door to them were more likely to be supportive of authoritarianism. For instance, people who said they did not want to live next door to immigrants or to people of another race were more supportive of the idea of military rule, or of a strongman-type leader who could ignore legislatures and election results.

Yikes.... as much as liberals are demonized on here, I don't know any liberal who would prefer military rule or a tyrannical leader with no term limit over a democratic republic. Does the same ring true for the conservatives on ATS?

Black people, Asians, Native Americans and women were prevented from voting for significant stretches of American history. America's tradition of democracy (for some) exists alongside a tradition of authoritarianism (for some). The Founders supported democracy as long as it was restricted to white male property holders. Today, our understanding of democracy is more expansive — at least in theory.

In practice, the GOP has increasingly been embracing a politics of white resentment tied to disenfranchisement. "Since Richard Nixon's ‘Southern Strategy,’ the GOP has pigeon-holed itself as, in large part, an aggrieved white people's party," Miller told me.

I know its been a hot topic here to repeat that it was the democrats who fought for slavery and who started the KKK (both true). But ever since LBJ fought on behalf of the civil rights movement, the white nationalists has been voting republican.

Trump's nativist language made the GOP's sympathies more explicit, leading to further erosion of support among non-white voters. George W. Bush won 35 percent of Hispanic voters in 2000; Trump won only 28 percent. His showing with Asian-American voters was only 27 percent — worse than any winning presidential candidate on record.

White people continue to decrease as a percentage of the U.S. population; at some point, it's going to be impossible to win a national, democratic American election with a platform that alienates people of color. The GOP, seeing their coming demographic apocalypse, has pushed voter ID laws and other barriers to voting to try to prevent black and other minority voters from getting to the polls. In Wisconsin, Republican Governor Scott Walker even attempted to delay elections for state seats that he believed Democrats would win.

Is there concern by Trump supporters on here that they will be marginalized if minorities, women, homosexuals etc have the same rights as them? Personally, I see some of these concerns as projection: if minorities became majorities, maybe we would treated the same way some of them have been treated... or are there other issues at hand?

A party built on demonizing and attacking marginalized people is a party that will have to disenfranchise those same people if it is to survive.

Blaming authoritarianism on partisanship suggests that both sides are equally to blame for the erosion of democratic norms. But greater commitment to abortion rights and free healthcare in the Democratic party isn't a threat to the foundations of democracy. The growing concentration of intolerant white voters in the GOP, on the other hand, has created a party which appears less and less committed to the democratic project. When faced with a choice between bigotry and democracy, too many Americans are embracing the first while abandoning the second.

"Social intolerance isn't just leading to GOP support as we know it and see it now," Miller says. "It's leading to preferences in favor of the kind of candidate the GOP ultimately nominated and supported for president." In embracing the politics of white identity, then, the GOP made a Trump possible — and is likely to make more Trump-like candidates successful in the future.

I have seen so many comments on here how liberals are a threat to America. I understand the anti globalist position and can agree in large with those who oppose it. That being said, there is an overt attempt to play on peoples fear of immigrants. The wall is a classic example of this, as are Trump comments about Mexico not sending their best, but sending rapists and drug dealers.

US foreign policy has reeked havoc around the world. If any nation threatens to nationalize their resources (especially oil or gas) or refuses to sign up with the world bank / IMF systems, we will fund the resistance, destabilize and topple your government. If those methods fall short of working, we start beating the war drums. While this has happened all over the world, in South and Central America we see how effective our tactics are. Now we see those chickens come home to roost in the asylum seeking refugees of those nations.

I don't believe we should allow anyone and everyone to move here, yet at the same time I believe we have deeper issues when it comes to fear or hatred of other cultures. If it came to it... would any of you suspend the constitution to support an authoritarian who promised to protect us from outsiders?

I don't believe we should give up our freedoms or our protections. I believe we should all be treated equally and it bums me out to think there are people who feel threatened by minorities who simply want the same rights and protections as the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Harpua

Earlier in one of my threads, I mentioned that eventually the polarization of this country might lead to people thinking the only way to restore order is by the iron fist of a dictator.

However, I disagree it's just conservatives. It's also a problem among liberals (see Evergreen as an example).
edit on 7/6/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

the article will make many on the left feel smug and superior that the lowly white man has been proven to be not only xenophobic, but wishes authoritarian rule.

While all the while the left is fighting tooth and nail for an omnipotent government to rule them all.

For the record, as a Cherokee woman, build the damn wall.

I am not threatened by a minority... I AM one.

I also understand sovereignty.

This isn't about other cultures.

It is all about people entering our country illegally.

I hope that is simple enough for you to understand.

I doubt it will be.

ETA: Feel free to ask a Native American about the results of unchecked immigration. We have some stories for you!

edit on 6-7-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

How many people in the population qualify as intolerant white people?

Why is nbc equating this to trump? Trump has tried refusing to do anything to force congress to do their jobs. They refused. That ismt authoritarianism. Its demonstrably opposite.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The democrats back then that made up a large percentage of the population of the south, were conservatives. democrats didn't switch to liberal until the early part of the last century. KKK, etc, those were conservatives (duh) and they happened to be represented by the democrat party.
LINK

Also, when are these "conservatives" that hate minorities and want to live under military totalitarianism going to wake up and realize that we are all humans and all equal?
When are these conservatives (and progressives) going to wake up and realize that we are all in the same boat and the true enemy is the 1%?

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

"strongman-type leader who could ignore legislatures and election results"

Like Venezuela ?

Like Cuba ?

Closer to home, it's the DNC that rigged the primary for Hillary. The GOP did nothing of the sort.

It's also the DNC that to this day seeks to ignore the Presidential election results of 2016

On the subject of being honest with yourself, look around, look at history....does not match your/NBC's "theory"....
edit on 6-7-2018 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-7-2018 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
racist drivel

I'll be voting for Trump in 2020 and full Republican ticket in 2018.

oh just an fyi white nations seem to be the place where the rest of the worlds poor are actually dying to get to to live in better conditions

just saying
edit on 6-7-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I can comfortably say that this study is absolutely true. Why wouldn't it be?

I would rather burn this whole country to the ground than see someone get something they didn't earn. Sometimes my kids ask for ice cream or food or clothes or something, and I tell them if they want it so bad to go clean the garage. My house has never been cleaner.

Why? Because I'm a real American.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
racist drivel

I'll be voting for Trump in 2020 and full Republican ticket in 2018.

oh just an fyi white nations seem to be the place where the rest of the worlds poor are actually dying to get to to live in better conditions

just saying

I'm guessing you missed the part where the US destabilizes and topples regimes unfriendly to our interests, most often leading to corrupt leadership of those nations.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

A few things need answered here seriously.

1) The authors found that white people who did not want to have immigrants or people of different races living next door to them were more likely to be supportive of authoritarianism.

Question: How many? What % of "white people" fall into this category? 1 out of 10,000? 1 out of 1,000, 1 out of 100? This data is bunk unless we have what that total really is.

How is this sample done? Did they go to a Klan rally and only ask them?

2) The World Values Survey data used is from the period 1995 to 2011 — well before Donald Trump's 2016 run for president.

OK. Now we got it. Someone found some old data that says white people are racists and are now pushing a story.

OK, Let's find that sampling data. I want to know how many racists there are!

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
When the Government boot is on your neck whether it is a right boot or a Left is of no consequence. Rather than being for any political ideology I am simply opposed to being pushed around by authoritatians.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

It is all really a deflection to let their corporate masters rape and pillage the economy..

It is a shell game..

“Hey get mad at all these groups with no power or authority to effect your life and ignore the man behind the curtain as he Robb’s you blind.”

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

the article will make many on the left feel smug and superior that the lowly white man has been proven to be not only xenophobic, but wishes authoritarian rule.

While all the while the left is fighting tooth and nail for an omnipotent government to rule them all.

I doubt it will be.

ETA: Feel free to ask a Native American about the results of unchecked immigration. We have some stories for you!

Cherokee here . I can trace my mother's heritage back .
And I fully agree.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Yep

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

While I’ve always warned against the ever widening polarization (See: www.people-press.org...) and loss of moderates as the driving force behind this useless hysteria of extremists, this finding provides a new angle to pursue. Thank you for the thread.

I don’t know how honest I can be but I am well aware of my biases among which is a bias to discount ‘mansplaining’ which will come into play here perhaps.

I’m off to do my homework and will return.

Again, thank you for your presentation.

Don’t’ let the knee-jerks (emphasis on the Jerk) get you down.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I doubt it will be.

Don't assume you know how 'those on the Left" feel. The left and members of the Democrat Party are very different.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

A few things need answered here seriously.

1) The authors found that white people who did not want to have immigrants or people of different races living next door to them were more likely to be supportive of authoritarianism.

Question: How many? What % of "white people" fall into this category? 1 out of 10,000? 1 out of 1,000, 1 out of 100? This data is bunk unless we have what that total really is.

How is this sample done? Did they go to a Klan rally and only ask them?

2) The World Values Survey data used is from the period 1995 to 2011 — well before Donald Trump's 2016 run for president.

OK. Now we got it. Someone found some old data that says white people are racists and are now pushing a story.

OK, Let's find that sampling data. I want to know how many racists there are!

Here's an article for you ... from the National Geographic ... since you seem unlikely to follow the links to the actual research provided in the nbc article:

About a town that was saved economically by an influx of hispanic residents:

Then it all changed. Funfest, in Sally Yale’s eyes, became too scary.

Too uncomfortable. To be honest … too brown. “You just know if you go to a public event, you know you are going to be outnumbered,” Yale says.

“You know you’re going to be the minority, and do you want to go?”

Outnumbered is a word that came up often when I talked with white residents of this eastern Pennsylvania town.

Outnumbered in the waiting room at the doctor’s office. Outnumbered at the bank.

Outnumbered at the Kmart, where the cashier merrily chitchats in Spanish with Hazleton’s newer residents.

Hazleton’s experience offers a glimpse into the future as white Americans confront the end of their majority status,

www.nationalgeographic.com...

It's FEAR and fear is what propels the Strong-Man dead-end solution. I don't dignify #45 as a strong-man but I believe him to be the unruly puppet of one.

Fear must be examined just as much as, more even, then unconscious conditioned biases.

I got distracted back to home work....

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

There's just so many things wrong with this! But let's start with the fact that we do not have a democracy, we were never intended to have a democracy, and it's because democracy is authoritarian in and of itself. It's mob rule. It's might makes right. And there is no place for natural inalienable individual rights. When the majority wants your opinion, they'll tell you what it is. When the majority says "jump," you'll ask "how high?"

As far as the military rule, our local police aren't that much different at this point. And it's shameful how many things people want to use the rule of law and the point of a gun to force on others.... to impose their will on others... and by golly gee we're gonna hurt you if you don't comply. We can quibble about moral relativity and rationalize and qualify all we want, but the end result is the same. Too many people are in jail for moral crimes who never posed a threat to anyone. And too many others are jailed simply for not jumping through government hoops. That's not a left or right thing; that's just a people thing at this point.

Which, of course, brings us to the whole illusion that there's any difference between left and right. Sure, they throw out their talking points and buzzwords and weasel words, all designed to rile up their "base," but they're all corrupt critters looking out for their own best interests and saying whatever will get them re-elected -- and a pretty penny from the corporate fat cats.

And the people blame each other and fight each other and hate each other. And as long as anyone is forcing their will on anyone else, that's how it will be. There will be no peace. That's democracy.

But when we respect individual rights -- as protected in our Constitutional Republic -- we can leave people be who aren't hurting anyone, and use the law and our collective resources to encourage and promote the greater good. Not to punish and hurt.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
We actually already know which part of the brain controls such behavior. Posterior Medial Frontal Cortex. It controls belief in God but it also controls such behavior as intolerance towards others, such as immigrants. Experiments have shown that as the part of the brain is shut off, belief in God also goes down and tolerance towards others goes up.

We think we shape our opinions and values one way, then we find out we're just wired that way. It may be very. very difficult to simply rewire those connections, which is why people rarely change.

I'm sure this is hardly going to be the last study on it, but at least a link is found. The scary part is that once we know what controls what, we are susceptible to control.

NCBI
PNAS
PsyPost
Daily Beast
edit on 6-7-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join