It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. labor shortage is reaching a critical point

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

datausa.io...

according to this website 12,000 chemical engineers graduate every year, there's currently 4 million of them in the workforce with an average age thats declining meaning that there's probably more younger than older ones

boomers and gen x got lazy i guess
edit on 6-7-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

But, living in the fiction that "equality of opportunity equals equality of achievement," every person with an IQ of 100 figures it must be someone else's fault he doesn't have a well-paying job. It doesn't enter into his mind that he may be too stupid to hack it.

also I would like to point out that you are operating under the false pretense that IQ has anything to do with success, that's completely ridiculous.. go ahead and back that assumption with facts

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

When they're done everyone will require 100's of thousands of school debt and 10 years working for free in a college intern program to get the experience needed before they can compete to get hired, and you'll still defend it and call everyone lazy.

You must be blind if you can't see the ever increasing hoops people need to jump through for less, as well as the increasing decline in worth of the multitudes of jobs necessary to keep society afloat.

A future of indentured servitude to become free enough to work to start paying back the debt you earned during your indentured servitude. Such a dystopian hellhole you want for us all with this line of thinking.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

When they're done everyone will require 100's of thousands of school debt and 10 years working for free in a college intern program to get the experience needed before they can compete to get hired, and you'll still defend it and call everyone lazy.

Not true. Today there is no reason whatsoever that anyone with a modicum of talent cannot get a full ride--especially if you can claim minority status. My daughter is in the business of finding scholarships for high school students. ON AVERAGE she gets $300K worth of scholarships PER STUDENT. Of course, they don't take advantage of all of this because they can choose only one school. The caveat: Good grades and a healthy attitude. Basically, if you've blown off high school, it's all over for you.

Plus, if you wind up getting loans and have a decent major, you'll have no trouble paying them back. If you use loans to get yourself an English degree, you're being stupid. If that's all you qualify for, you are stupid.
edit on 7/7/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

But, living in the fiction that "equality of opportunity equals equality of achievement," every person with an IQ of 100 figures it must be someone else's fault he doesn't have a well-paying job. It doesn't enter into his mind that he may be too stupid to hack it.

also I would like to point out that you are operating under the false pretense that IQ has anything to do with success, that's completely ridiculous.. go ahead and back that assumption with facts

Maybe as a rapper. But if you want a good education in a field in demand, you have to hack the math, and with an IQ of 100, you won't be able to do that. THOSE are the facts. If you can be "successful" some other way, go for it.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Ok big shot, let's say everyone does exactly that. Now tell me, what happens then? Thought exercise. Every human on the planet tries to do everything you suggest, pulls out all the stops, no one slacks one bit. What happens?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
A nice hefty increase in productivity.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

So your goal is to trick everyone into working harder for what exactly? More... production? For who?

Your answer is nonsensical and does not answer the question.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I found you can live quite comfortably at $22.00/hr, own a place, a new car and so forth, but don't expect to make that at 20 years old, it took me into my late 30's to get there. I make even more now because the economy is good and so is the commission. The problem is kids these days expect to make what their parents make immediately, that is not very realistic.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

A subsidy and a tax break are two entirely different things. Taxes are paid, subsidies are given. A tax break cannot be a subsidy. Now, earned income credit is a subsidy. Food stamps, is a subsidy. There are many agricultural subsidies. Those are not tax breaks. Don't bastardize language, words have meanings.

Surely these employers should be employing and training people on their own dime, rather than expecting the nation to pay them to employ and train people?

Who creates wealth? The nation? The people?

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

More production, for everyone. That means more products and services for you and I.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I like it. I just got 3 dollars more an hour and was hired on the spot for an identical position at another company.

My former employer started having frequent payroll "errors". I didnt have to be at their mercy for months with accumulating back pay I would need to keep track of and later have to fight for tooth and nail.

I moved on over the weekend and came out on top.

Now the truck I drive is a different color. LoL

edit on 7 8 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

More production, for everyone. That means more products and services for you and I.

Except crops are rotting in the field because their aren't americans to pick it.

www.politifact.com...

How much inflation for groceries are you willing to take?
edit on 8-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

You must be blind if you can't see the ever increasing hoops people need to jump through for less

Who made those hoops?

as well as the increasing decline in worth of the multitudes of jobs necessary to keep society afloat.

If those jobs keep society afloat, why aren't they needed?

A future of indentured servitude to become free enough to work to start paying back the debt you earned during your indentured servitude.

So don't go into debt??? Why is that never an option in these crazy hypotheticals? Well, I know the answer, it's economics. If it became less profitable to go to college than not, people wouldn't go to college, would they?
edit on 8-7-2018 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Ill believe that when I see a corresponding increase in wages

I agree as well.
I think this was put out by the cheap labor express to get more slave wage foreigners in this country.
They sure do hate Capitalism and America first.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
I found you can live quite comfortably at $22.00/hr, own a place, a new car and so forth, but don't expect to make that at 20 years old, it took me into my late 30's to get there. I make even more now because the economy is good and so is the commission. The problem is kids these days expect to make what their parents make immediately, that is not very realistic.

where I live you can get there in 6 months if you can an extruder and want to work 60 hours a week with #ty benefits and barely anytime vacation/ sick days

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

Ill believe that when I see a corresponding increase in wages

I agree as well.
I think this was put out by the cheap labor express to get more slave wage foreigners in this country.
They sure do hate Capitalism and America first.

I really want it to be true because the easier it is for people to find decent jobs the less people will put effort into what I'm getting an education in because it's a really good career field and it takes a lot of effort to succeed

it will drive my earning potential higher

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
a reply to: Bluntone22

I have a similar story as you. Only my house was at 25. The difference between me and you is actually understanding reality.

Minimum wage was enough for me to own a cheap car and a low income apartment when I was 18. Thank God because my mom had a nervous breakdown and I had to care for myslef. If I worked harder I could get a promotion or get some overtime and I could also include adequate entertainment in my life.

Today even shift managers making $15 per hour couldn't afford the lifestyle I had at minimum wage.

Like I said you are narcissistic and out of touch with Today's reality.

The Real Minimum Wage has been decreasing every year.

www.businessinsider.com...

My uncle back in the 60s worked at a restaurant and made enough money to save up and buy a new car and also lived in an apartment on his own. Good luck trying that today.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You missed the context of the discussion.
edit on 8-7-2018 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

I did that delivering pizza's at the turn of the century. I see many people doing the same thing today.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join