It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. labor shortage is reaching a critical point

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The #1 problem with the economy is the big daddy government and unions taking money from their employees in exchange for protections

No more unemployement pension plan 401k medicare social security none of it

I want my money in my pocket and I will manage my own finances and setup my own secueiry

If everyone had their money put back in their own pocket and were responsible for their own safety this counrey would be THRIVING

But no everyone is scared of their own shadow and needs big daddy government to save them

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

Go ahead and continue to ignore the problems though eventually they will fight back even more than they are now

Bah, even their fighting is lacking... like a fire cracker that just sizzles...I wish they would put up something other than a whimper. At least show some determination in something.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

This is how wages increase.
edit on 6-7-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The #1 problem with the economy is the big daddy government and unions taking money from their employees in exchange for protections

No more unemployement pension plan 401k medicare social security none of it

I want my money in my pocket and I will manage my own finances and setup my own secueiry

If everyone had their money put back in their own pocket and were responsible for their own safety this counrey would be THRIVING

But no everyone is scared of their own shadow and needs big daddy government to save them

I agree to a point... in the not too distant past communities took care of each other without big Government stepping in. The problem with big Government is it is way too costly and you get only bear minimum in return...not a good life anyway you look at it.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I really hate the greed based economy.

Waaaay too much responsibility and expectation on the employee in society to bend over backwards for the employer to better their employers standing in life, and little to no expectation from the employer to likewise do the same for the employee.

Is like the only standard for the success of a company is how fat the wallet of the person running it. We've completely removed the responsibility of the employer towards the improvement of society and their employees which are a part of it. It's all about how much the employer can get away with.

Societies success is determined by the success of those at the bottom and top.

Every company with workers struggling to make ends meet is a failed company.

Any employer who's workers are struggling should be ashamed to show their face. They are failures towards the respective society they live in.

Society is a group of individuals working together for mutual benefit. It is not individuals working to benefit over each other. The ideal society works towards the benefit of all while rewarding those who contribute the most towards the improvement of society as a whole. The success of a society is once again determined by the success of those on the bottom as well as those on top. Any society where those on the bottom are struggling to survive has failed somewhere, and any society where those who contribute most are not rewarded for their efforts has likewise failed.

What we currently have fails those at the bottom and unfairly rewards many behaviors which harm rather than benefits society to excess at the expense of those at the bottom.
edit on 7/6/2018 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
If you don't have a job its because you dont want a job.

This is what my hubs has been saying about W MI/GR metro for the 3 and a half years we've been here. There's jobs here, plenty of them. It's been a veritable job wonderland since the first day here, and it shows no signs of slowing down.
If you're jobless in the GR metro, it's not because you can't find a job, it's because you don't want one.

However, I can't say this is indicative of anywhere else in the country. A lot of places never seemed to recover from the '08 blight effect. Just because it's doing great here doesn't mean it's doing great in XYZ Town, Kentucky or some such.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Maybe we should examine why our society can't seem to produce qualified employees. We could have factories that produce things so anyone can do those jobs. Many people I know don't want to work at a hard job now, they choose cushy jobs then join a fitness club to get exercise. The schools evidently are not doing their job getting our kids interested in doing real work, they steer them into piles of college debt which causes the teenagers to avoid working long and hard since repaying the loan will suck them dry financially

The society we have created is severely flawed. There is nothing wrong with being a construction worker or working in a flooring mill or small factory. There is nothing wrong with being a worker for the county or city or just working at a hardware store or lumber yard. Well, these jobs are even being erased, and nobody can afford to work them and pay the new Obamacare rates.

Quit creating jobs only a certain type of person can do in this country, not all workers can be computer programmers or create software. Not all workers are qualified to work at a military contractors factory or NASA contractor. We need jobs to keep everyone working, not just people who are dumb enough to go forty grand in debt with College.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Those aren't the only jobs out there that pay well.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

That's a good point, but a lot of that has to do with the rampant fiscal irresponsibility of many cities and counties.

Its what sets apart Junction City, Kansas and Manhattan, Kansas. Those two cities are 15 miles apart and there's a world of difference between them.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I'm literally on a union construction as we speak. One of the finishers from local 5 hasnt worked in 5 months.

The compant I work for only keeps 2 guys on full times everyone else gets hired fired at will

Telling everyone to get into the trades is a very bad idea

Ita hard work thankless. Most guys drive in a 3 state radius and only get paid 1 day not always put up in hotwks and often they will go months without work

Ita not for a lot of people

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The reason no one wants to work is simple. Deep down most people realize that societies is supposed to improve for all that contribute and have now recognized that it hasn't and is unfairly only improving for a select few while more is expected of them for less.

The reason people from poor countries come to the US and work harder is easy to understand. Compared to their # hole of a country it's actually an upgrade in living from complete and total destitution.

Saying we have a better standard of living then the worst living conditions possible is saying little about our societies success.

We can do better and most people are aware of it.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

You mean after attending school for 12 years we tell them they need 4 more years to do anything?
Huh.
Something don't seem right

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Eventually, they'll realize you don't need degree-holding employees to fill basic positions. The requirements for relatively low-paying work is often ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

This is the main prt of the problem

You need literally move mountains for peanurs and then your told you shoulsnt have basic expectations in return and they are wrong period

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

After being drug through the dirt with ever decreasing wages for decades, the poor working people are finally going to hopefully see a pay raise! Funny how the Democrats always complain about wealth inequality but then turn around and condone illegal workers coming into our country and driving the pay rates down to poverty levels. Effing hypocrites.

Let those other countries worry about heir own people for a while while we help the poor hard working people of OUR country FIRST!

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I'm literally on a union construction as we speak. One of the finishers from local 5 hasnt worked in 5 months.

The compant I work for only keeps 2 guys on full times everyone else gets hired fired at will

Telling everyone to get into the trades is a very bad idea

Ita hard work thankless. Most guys drive in a 3 state radius and only get paid 1 day not always put up in hotwks and often they will go months without work

Ita not for a lot of people

Trades are not a bad idea.

Most small businesses are started from trades.

Unions are cancer anyway. They were once useful all they are now is a cash cow for democrats. Don't use unions as a model for what its like to work in the trades.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The reason why big business loves foreign labor is they'd love to drag us down to a third world # hole where we beg for table scraps while they do all the profiting. Not because these foreign workers are more reasonable with their expectations, they've just been deprived so long, damn near anything is an improvement.

Don't buy into the bullsnip.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

No I'm non union I dont want the union taking half of my paycheck for a pension ill never receive I'm just working on a job because they are short handed and I'm waiting for my next job to start in 2 weeks

The union does have a bar non apprentice program that's tue best thing

You can make more by far as an independent contractor
edit on 6-7-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Looking to hire a Jr level developer with 10 years experience with this technology that's only been a thing for 2 years.
This Jr level developer should get work done twice as fast and three times cleaner than their peers.
This Jr level developer should be eager to work 80 hours a week without overtime.

Labor shortage my ass. Stop trying to shaft people and maybe you can find someone to do your #ty little job.

Brazil lost to Belgium and am agreeing with toysforadults on something....

Twilight zone

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

The only labor shortage is because companies are not willing to pay enough to fill those positions... Armericans are willing to do whatever.. They just aren’t willing to do whatever for minimum wage..

Wrong. THere's no labor shortage of minimum wage buffoons who aren't qualified for anything else. The labor shortage exists for trained and skilled workers. Have a degree in chemical engineering? You won't have trouble finding a job and it won't be at the minimum wage. Have a degree in English literature? You and a couple dozen others can compete for a job at McD's. And "immigrants," by and large, won't help. Too many of them think the way to use a toilet is to stand on it. The labor shortage is not just about bodies. It's about skilled and literate workers.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join