It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Bots Label US Declaration of Independence as Hate Speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
LOL, you would think they would have a better filter. At least they actually apologized and restored their posting unlike what they have done with some others.

Of course, they would pretty much have to or this would have been a much bigger story.

gadgets.ndtv.com...

Facebook has apologised after its content-filtering algorithms flagged the US Declaration of Independence as a hate speech.

Parts of the document was flagged as "hate speech" by Facebook bots after a Liberty, Texas-based newspaper, the Liberty County Vindicator, posted on Facebook "small bites" from the Declaration in the lead up to the country's Independence Day on July 4.

Facebook later restored the post and tendered an apology to the newspaper, Liberty County Vindicator said in a report on Tuesday.

edit on 5-7-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Hmmm...I guess if you're a British person from the 1700's maybe you'd be 'triggered' by it??? Or if you at least identify as one...

edit on 5/7/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Screw FaceBook and the Communist leaning
control freaks.

Screw Suckerberger.

Cheers!

S&F

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

This is funny, as long as someone from Facebook remains embarrassed by it.

It's when they're not that we have to really worry.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Yeah I can see why FB thinks that is offensive material that should be blocked. I bet they also consider the US Constitution too controversial, radical, and hurtful to the 'community.'

Hilarious!

edit on 5-7-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Yeah I can see why FB thinks that is offensive material that should be blocked. I bet they also consider the US Constitution too controversial, radical, and hurtful to the 'community.'

Hilarious!

or developing AI/machine learning to detect hateful content is extremely complicated and we've only just began to scratch the surface

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
It was the part that referred to "Indian Savages" that triggered the algorithm. It was a different time then.

Edit:

This was the part it found offensive:

“He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

edit on (7/6/1818 by PistolPete because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   

It doesn't seem like FaceBook has made any progress towards becoming unbiased/impartial, since that weird Zuckerberg was grilled by Congress, and promised "changes".

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
LOL, you would think they would have a better filter. At least they actually apologized and restored their posting unlike what they have done with some others.

Of course, they would pretty much have to or this would have been a much bigger story.

gadgets.ndtv.com...

Facebook has apologised after its content-filtering algorithms flagged the US Declaration of Independence as a hate speech.

Parts of the document was flagged as "hate speech" by Facebook bots after a Liberty, Texas-based newspaper, the Liberty County Vindicator, posted on Facebook "small bites" from the Declaration in the lead up to the country's Independence Day on July 4.

Facebook later restored the post and tendered an apology to the newspaper, Liberty County Vindicator said in a report on Tuesday.

Hang em, hang em all for treason, the bots and their creators who made em and the horse they road in on.... And their pets. Those none patriotic hippies!

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

It doesn't seem like FaceBook has made any progress towards becoming unbiased/impartial, since that weird Zuckerberg was grilled by Congress, and promised "changes".

It was just a show to legitimize their BS.

I know you are smart enough that you didn't fall for that crapshow.

A false sense of action is always used to quell the storm and appease the contradictions to the status quo.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wildmanimal

Screw FaceBook and the Communist leaning
control freaks.

Screw Suckerberger.

Cheers!

S&F

The theory about the book 1984 maybe moves to 2024? It is here now really. You mustn't think about things outside of what you are told is our present day scenario at best.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

or developing AI/machine learning to detect hateful content is extremely complicated and we've only just began to scratch the surface

That's the real issue. From what I have seen, Zuckerberg has his own slightly left bias, as does everyone else have a bias. He has a problem with some people in the organization that run the range of being riddled with TDS to maybe a few staunch Trump fans, and they run the organization... including writing the software.

I have only seen one large such organization in my life that was able to keep their house pretty clean of political bias, and that is ATS. It creeps in, incessantly, and spreads faster than a super-virus.

The real issue right now is the reliance on software to solve the problem of policing the posts. Yes, software is cheaper and faster. But software cannot detect abstract ideologies,m and those abstract ideologies are what it has to detect to do its job properly. We do not have AI yet; we have extremely complex algorithms. No machine can really learn outside it's programmed limitations, and no machine can think.

Just don't try to explain that to the average young idealistic programmer...

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Well of course. It was a hate speech, very well worded, directed towards the King.

Certain parts of it, taken out of context, are very hate filled (and demonstrably true) all of it directed at the King and demonstrating reasons to secede from British rule and forge a new country, independent of foriegn laws.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
There goes another few thousand facebook drones off the farm.

Dear Mark,
You are a horrible globalist.
Learn to control your flock.

Sincerely,
A. Merkel.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I am surprised any body outside of the business circles still use social media. In light of the revelations of government spying, corporate data collection and the auction of personal information to the highest bidder, I guess I just assumed their most recent betrayal of trust (selling data for political reasons) was the final nail in Facebook's proverbial coffin

I fail to see the utility in a platform that censors speech to a point they control what you do and do not say

These tech giants are monopolies that should be broken up. Consolidation of power is rarely a good thing

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Facebook bots determined Declaration of Independence is hate speech.

This is my shocked face.

Just goes to show the leftist anti-American douche-bags programming the bots who they really are.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

They aren't. They are only concerned about revenue loss.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: loam

They aren't. They are only concerned about revenue loss.

Revenue loss has a way to go for the idiot who runs that sight. He might be already so rich he don't care anymore. FB needs to go away and I am still using it to see classmates. I will have to quit.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The part they took offense with wasn't even incorrect given the situation when it was written. This is as stupid as saying Laura Ingalls Wilder's writings were in any way racist. Until 120 years or so ago Americans were actively fighting indians in the western US and yes, by definition of the word, those indians were savages. The modern "noble savage" myth is largely to blame for why modern times seems to be eager to whitewash the fact that the fighting was mutual between the sides and neither party was in the right or the wrong. It was a simple case of cultural clash and land wars and the more powerful side won. It's happened countless times through history and there's just no reason for anyone not directly kin to the side that lost to get all lugubrious over it.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
yup, this is the agenda

break down nationalism, 2nd and 1st amendment, implement a technocratic global control grid centrally managed by the "authority"

think True Blood

new topics

<<   2 >>

join