It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s Trade War Is Wreaking Havoc on the Dairy Industry

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Topcraft
a reply to: Willtell

I'm from Wisconsin, and I do believe that Canada hit us with a very large tariff, ( of 250 to 300 percent) on dairy long before Trump was even in office. So it's ok for them to do it, but not Trump? Give me a break.

Forgive Willtell. He's desperate for something..anything..to validate his disdain for the man that's making America even greater.

Facts are facts
Reality is reality

Dairy farmers are hurting. How would you feel if your business was impacted by Trump’s unwise policies?

Obama's policies severely hurt our health insurance business, along with a whole lot of families.

President Trump is leveling the playing field. Obama was robbing from the middle class to give to the poor.

Big difference.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I dont see tariffs making a huge difference in expenses. Adds less the. 100.00 to the cost of a car. And aluminium adds 9 cents per pound. For at least a year these costs will not be transferred to consumers.

As far as Milk farmers are under contracts what they can sell it for doesn't change until contract ends. In the case of Mexico they cant produce enough milk so they will have to make a deal or go without.

So tariffs really wont have an effect on consumers until 2019 assuming businesses just dont absorb the extra costs.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yours isba weak minds game. You make elaborate claims, someone says your wrong and offers evidence, and your argument is "well, if he hasn't hurt you then he's a jerk for not helping you more." By that logic, you're a jerk for not adopting every parentless child. What a moron.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I work in a dairy. I've been doing this for almost 16 years. Trump has nothing to do with the problem.

He's exacerbating the already existing problem with the trade war and tariffs.

So he DOES have a lot to do with the problem,

He is the problem right now

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

No one ever said this process would be painless. But Canada depends on America more than America depends on Canada. That gives America the upper hand here. American workers need to be given a fair chance at competing in the global market. If that requires shifting alliances, tariffs, and renegotiating deals then so be it.

The dairy industry will recover. I assure you. Do you see Canadians and Americans willing to slow their ice cream consumption? I think not...

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I work in a dairy. I've been doing this for almost 16 years. Trump has nothing to do with the problem.

This trade issue is like a house fire; you could dump a bottle of water on it and pretend that you've done something (prior Administrations), or you could call the fire department out to solve put out the fire (what the current Administration is doing). Let's dive a little deeper though:

By dumping the bottle of water on the fire, you get the appearance of doing something while in reality doing nothing. People that heard about your attempt to stop the fire will look at you as a hero (if they don't know exactly what you did), and the fire keeps burning.

By calling the fire department out, you sadly inconvenience anyone going or coming from the neighborhood, but you also get the fire put out. You may not get the kudos of being a hero by calling the fire department, but you do get the satisfaction of the fire being put out.

Once again you seem to know best, so let me quote myself here;

what would you do if you have to level the playing field if the opposite side refuses to work with you? Do you give in (like the last Administration) or do you create an environment that forces the opposite side to reflect on it's choices (like the current Administration)?

I ask this again since it kind of sounds like you just want the US to "bend over and take it" rather then have a fair trade agreement.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Dont take it from a guy that's been in it for 16 years, lets just find reasons to bash Trump... Pfffft

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

You don't know anything about this business in particular. We always have a low season in summer. Every year. I'm an expert in this topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join