It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000 Detroiters duped thinking they were getting a free home

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
1000 Detroiters showed up at city hall thinking they were going to get a free home on the 4th of July. I guess some kind of ad campaign started circulating on social media that the city was giving away free homes.

I don't really find it funny. One thing you have to understand about Detroit is it's a desperate place with a lot of desperate people. The schools are a mess with no heat in the winter. Not enough jobs to go around and of the jobs there are they don't pay much. I'm not black but I know what it's like to be poor. It's easy to point your finger at poor people and say it's their own fault or say things like I escaped they can too. I say lucky you and unless you know someone else's circumstances in life it's best not flap your gums.

www.fox2detroit.com...

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Detroit is run by people who are in the Obama mode of thinking. He did the same thing to Black America on a much much larger scale.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ha! You said flap!! 1000 of America’s biggest losers? Love to see pictures of that group of poor oppressed people

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Bwhahahahaha!
That's too funny.
The old saying when it sounds to good to be true still applies.
Odd thought comes to mind.
They all have some sort of Internet access and means to use it like a smart phone or computer but asking someone to get a photo ID to vote is voter suppression.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The sad part is, there are probably thousands of abandoned houses in Detroit that could be fixed up to a livable condition with a reasonable amount of effort.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Hopefully these fake houses also included built-in, fake wi-fi.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

You are probably right but I doubt the people showing up for a free house have the resources to fix an old house.
Those that do have the resources probably would not want to live in the neighborhood.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
1000 Detroiters showed up at city hall thinking they were going to get a free home on the 4th of July. I guess some kind of ad campaign started circulating on social media that the city was giving away free homes.

I don't really find it funny. One thing you have to understand about Detroit is it's a desperate place with a lot of desperate people. The schools are a mess with no heat in the winter. Not enough jobs to go around and of the jobs there are they don't pay much. I'm not black but I know what it's like to be poor. It's easy to point your finger at poor people and say it's their own fault or say things like I escaped they can too. I say lucky you and unless you know someone else's circumstances in life it's best not flap your gums.

www.fox2detroit.com...

I guess they never learned nothing in life is free....

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

www.fox2detroit.com...

So now , you have to ask yourself what happened to Detroit to cause the shape it is in....
But the Liberal answer that I am expecting does not hold water.
It boils down to local , county and State officials elected by those people .
"You get what you put in
And people get what they deserve"
Kid Rock - Only God Knows Why.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Free homes?

Who's handing them out a Nigerian Prince? LoL

Nothing is free, there is always a cost.

And if something looks too good to be true, which free homes would seem to qualify, it generally stands that it is too good to be true.
edit on 5-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I'm not black but I know what it's like to be poor.

I'm surprised no one's called you on this. I personally don't care but I'm sure some people might be offended. Either way, cheers buddy!

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
GOnna have to do something...expectations were set, and riots will now ensue.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
The sad part is, there are probably thousands of abandoned houses in Detroit that could be fixed up to a livable condition with a reasonable amount of effort.

They could. There were people who were flipping homes that started at $500. Those were beautiful homes on their own grounds with mock turrets, brick walls, front stone staircase. But the problem ... crackhouses and Obama supporters.

One woman bought up and renovated at home. Then a political activist squatted in her home and refused to leave until the case went to court:

detroit.curbed.com...

detroit.curbed.com...

The other hazard is scavengers who will strip a home and business for copper wires, cables, air conditioning coils, never mind street and traffic lights.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I guess some kind of ad campaign started circulating on social media that the city was giving away free homes.

So what does this say about the idiot who started that rumour? These things don't start themselves.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

For awhile there, you could have bought a home for as little as $700.

Not much a home as a shell of a house. They strip the siding, copper wire and furnaces for scrap.

But you could buy one for that price.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

No, they don't.

It could have been a simple misunderstanding that snowballed out of control...but I doubt it.

Someone thought it'd be amusing, sad to say...
edit on 7/5/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

They could. There were people who were flipping homes that started at $500. Those were beautiful homes on their own grounds with mock turrets, brick walls, front stone staircase. But the problem ... crackhouses and Obama supporters.

One woman bought up and renovated at home. Then a political activist squatted in her home and refused to leave until the case went to court:

detroit.curbed.com...

detroit.curbed.com...

The other hazard is scavengers who will strip a home and business for copper wires, cables, air conditioning coils, never mind street and traffic lights.

Yep. One of my clients tried to rehab a rental on the east side. He gave up after the second time they cleaned his house out of copper in the wires and plumbing. As soon as his contractors would leave, they would break in and destroy all the rehab work.

It's crazy they do stuff like that.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I figured it was a Tyler Perry scam. Been a ton of those lately, and always targeting the AA community.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
so 1000 people need liveable homes, and we just laugh at their stupidity.

Hahaha suckers..

*zips up tent, it's cold tonight*

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I've never been to Detroit, but I've always found it fascinating for some reason. I've spent a lot of time looking around on google street view, it seems to be a very lush, green and sunny place, in the summer at least. There's heaps of vacant, furtile land everywhere, but no one appears to be growing any vegetable gardens at all? If people were only a little more self-sufficient there, it probably wouldn't be so desperate.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join