It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local government purchases their own media with your tax dollars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

New Jersey poised to invest $5 million into local journalism

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- What if every state in the union provided some seed money for local journalism -- as a way to rebuild some of what's been lost through years of budget cuts and layoffs?
That's what New Jersey is on the verge of doing. Public media advocates are calling it a historic legislative victory.
Last month, both houses of the New Jersey legislature passed the "Civic Info Bill." The bill sets up a nonprofit group that will be supported by five of the state's universities. A board of directors will approve grants to strengthen local news coverage.
New Jersey governor Phil Murphy signed a state budget on Sunday night that allocates $5 million for the Civic Information Consortium.
But Murphy hasn't signed the bill yet. His spokesman told CNN "we are reviewing all legislation sent to the governor's desk for signature."
Because the $5 million was included in the budget, advocates for the bill are optimistic.
"Never before has a state taken the lead to address the growing crisis in local news," Mike Rispoli, the state director for Free Press Action Fund, said in a statement.
Rispoli said New Jersey is now "a model for the rest of the nation."

www.weny.com...

So I guess we can all look forward to official state-run media now. Now I'm sure there will be some with no issue with this.

I'd have to ask. . . why? I think this is disturbing as hell.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I just posted a rant about the damm media . We basically have state run media now

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

New Jersey poised to invest $5 million into local journalism

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- What if every state in the union provided some seed money for local journalism -- as a way to rebuild some of what's been lost through years of budget cuts and layoffs?
That's what New Jersey is on the verge of doing. Public media advocates are calling it a historic legislative victory.
Last month, both houses of the New Jersey legislature passed the "Civic Info Bill." The bill sets up a nonprofit group that will be supported by five of the state's universities. A board of directors will approve grants to strengthen local news coverage.
New Jersey governor Phil Murphy signed a state budget on Sunday night that allocates $5 million for the Civic Information Consortium.
But Murphy hasn't signed the bill yet. His spokesman told CNN "we are reviewing all legislation sent to the governor's desk for signature."
Because the $5 million was included in the budget, advocates for the bill are optimistic.
"Never before has a state taken the lead to address the growing crisis in local news," Mike Rispoli, the state director for Free Press Action Fund, said in a statement.
Rispoli said New Jersey is now "a model for the rest of the nation."

www.weny.com...

So I guess we can all look forward to official state-run media now. Now I'm sure there will be some with no issue with this.

I'd have to ask. . . why? I think this is disturbing as hell.

*plays Taps*

Both houses you say? I guess they can agree on something......

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Strange that while the hysteria of "russia" is ongoing some would want to follow this model...
en.wikipedia.org...
From you op

"Never before has a state taken the lead to address the growing crisis in local news," Mike Rispoli, the state director for Free Press Action Fund, said in a statement. Rispoli said New Jersey is now "a model for the rest of the nation."

I vote no thank you on state run media.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I think we should all wait to see how CNN tells us to react. Or if Trump is for or against. Either of those will offer you an glimpse into the future.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Do they not have NPR in New Jersey?

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I'd have to ask. . . why?

To answer that question, one needs to understand Donald Trump.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

They will only care if Republicans do it. I personally think no government sponsorship is what we should have.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

To answer that question, one needs to understand Donald Trump.

You will kindly assist in that please?

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Governments of the world have been running mainstream media for decades now, they fund journalists that have links to the secret services.

Having a dedicated state-funded news source doesn't really change anything, just same old.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: R1CK3O

But now they will be able to buy their media straight from the taxpayers pocket, much more efficient!

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

What if every state in the union provided some seed money for local journalism -- as a way to rebuild some of what's been lost through years of budget cuts and layoffs?

Have they not considered what has been lost due to budget cuts and layoffs was...... necessary.

Must everything be bloated??

I wasn't aware of a "growing crisis in local news"... unless they're speaking to the fact that real journalism is essentially dead because of (lack of) ethics (taking bribes, bias, etc.)

I swear they just make sh*t up day in/day out to justify larger budgets/increased spending!

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

It's a government bailout of the MSM.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Too big to fail again?

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

New Jersey poised to invest $5 million into local journalism NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- What if every state in the union provided some seed money for local journalism -- as a way to rebuild some of what's been lost through years of budget cuts and layoffs? That's what New Jersey is on the verge of doing. Public media advocates are calling it a historic legislative victory. Last month, both houses of the New Jersey legislature passed the "Civic Info Bill." The bill sets up a nonprofit group that will be supported by five of the state's universities. A board of directors will approve grants to strengthen local news coverage. New Jersey governor Phil Murphy signed a state budget on Sunday night that allocates $5 million for the Civic Information Consortium. But Murphy hasn't signed the bill yet. His spokesman told CNN "we are reviewing all legislation sent to the governor's desk for signature." Because the $5 million was included in the budget, advocates for the bill are optimistic. "Never before has a state taken the lead to address the growing crisis in local news," Mike Rispoli, the state director for Free Press Action Fund, said in a statement. Rispoli said New Jersey is now "a model for the rest of the nation."

NOWHERE, in that entire quote does it even mention Trump, yet you somehow managed to make it about him. That takes some serious mental gymnastics.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Wait a second I gotta pinch myself. (That hurt)

George Orwell was correct! Who woulda thunk it... Please tell me you guys knew this was going to happen.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

TDS award nominee

We can call the award ceremony The TarDS.

...or maybe the TurDS.
edit on 3202x6732America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago7 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Too big to fail again?

Well, when something isn't working, spend more money!

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Wait a second I gotta pinch myself. (That hurt)

George Orwell was correct! Who woulda thunk it... Please tell me you guys knew this was going to happen.

It was in the newsletter but it was on page 2.

No one reads the damned things anyway.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Don't Universities get enough state and Federal money?
They should do it for free but I wouldn't want it.
We already know the slant Universities will put on everything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join