It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we deserve the '4th of July' anymore?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Although tonight at "4th of July" parties from seas to shining sea the topic of what the day is actually about is going completely unacknowledged, this piece isnt a beef against that travesty. This is about who We are supposed to be, what we rebelled against, and that reality in perspective of what "We've" become.

Before we begin...
The Federal Government is NOT "America".

The US Military is NOT "America".

The Republican Party is NOT "America".

The Democrat Party is NOT "America".

The US Congress is NOT "America".

The US Senate is NOT "America".

The POTUS... any POTUS... is NOT "America".

US Foreign Policy is NOT "America".

To criticize any of the above is NOT "Anti-American".

Where to even begin...
It can be surmised that when asked what did "we" rebel against they'd think of the Boston Tea Party. And some might even think it further into it being against taxation. That would still be but a surface symptom of 'what' "we" rebelled against.

That policy was certainly a trigger.

Yet the actual war was against an imperialist state.

And victory against said imperialist state is what Independence Day (ahem the 4th of July) is supposed to be about.

The problem is, it didnt take long for imperialists to rise to the top of the ranks and push the United States into an imperialist posture. Sure back in those days it made 'prefect sense' to expand from sea to shining sea. A different age that was.

And got to the other side they did. Borders evened out. And the 20th Century was born. The roaring 20's oh my. Then came World War 2, and in the first 'episode' of the war propaganda film, Why We Fight, in explaining the differences between Nazi Germany and Japan and Fascist Italy, and why we needed to fight them, the commonality between them that "we" had to go fight them for was 'plain old dirty imperialism' (paraphrasing).

Not longer after that "we" conquered "our enemies" (imperialists) across both sides of Eurasia. Which we still celebrate it everyday on TV (at least ten times as much as every other conflict "we've" been in combined).

Then, almost immediately, we "needed" to go fight a global conquest against Communism. Since it was an imperialist front dripping with ambition, there certainly is a certain logic to the general premise of pushing back against it, in hindsight.

The problem is "we" became the likes of 'more imperialist than imperialist' in contrast to how kick ass an imperialist the USSR's operation ever proved to be.

It took a long, long time, but then "we" prevailed once again. Pats ourselves on the back, go for it.

Problem is, once that struggle was ended, "we" didnt stop being imperialist. If anything it was ramped up and I mean even before 9/11.

9/11 which was even in the 9/11 Commission Report a result of "blowback" from imperialism, to which in response "we" went apes##t with out and out in your face imperialism. Where Bush took US into Iraq, and then Obama took US into Syria. Creating yet another complete generation (at least) of new combatants to continue the cycle of blowback.

Anyone remember what we rebelled against; what we celebrate every year on "The 4th"? Imperialism.

We celebrate a day, for many of us its bigger than Christmas, with total contempt for history most everyone seems to display. 'Distgustingly' so in many cases each year.

A damning history where "we" overthrew the democratically elected government of Iran, so that multinational corporations could continue robbing the people there blind for all that oil. Where they had to declare independence from US, spectacularly in 1979, yet we dont recognize that event for what it was (the thing we celebrate every 4th), and instead call it the "Hostage Crisis". From which point "we" have held them in such contempt "we" literally sicked Saddam Hussein (armed with "our" chemical weapons) on them, to the tune of 105,000–375,000 being killed (in the Iran-Iraq War) to maintain "our" hubris. After 9/11 they offered to help US in the "War on Terror" (terrorism is a tactic you cant have a war against a tactic), yet "we" branded them part of "The Axis of Evil" (World War 2 jingoism) and have been in a state of war with them ever since (do note that military conflict is but one form of warfare).

And that history lesson is barely scratching the tip of the iceberg along those lines in the history of "our" hypocrisy regarding our annual marveling of our own magnificence on the 4th of July.

While in this (over the top lackluster) outrage of what I'm getting at imperialism is but one component. Go check out the list of grievances that took the Founding Fathers to war with -imperialism-, known as the Declaration of Independence, and see how damn near the entire lot is true today (even more so in so many the most important of them), for the reality of our "freedom" to be put into perspective.

edit on 4-7-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Ancient Alien theorists say "YES"

None of what you speak of is "America"

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

We've willingly put into place over the years all the things that was rebelled against.

Like every other holiday, the 4th is so far removed so far from what it stands for.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

LIES!

YOU are your nations Foreign Policy!

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

LIES!

YOU are your nations Foreign Policy!

Yet , my nation is not "America"

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Doesnt matter. YOU can still be a 'good American' by adopting your nations foreign policy as your own identity.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Doesnt matter. YOU can still be a 'good American' by adopting your nations foreign policy as your own identity.

Yes , but not "American" foreign policy

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

when we became the ones who policed the world police, this country went to tits; a free for all, all up for grabs, the coveted world super power status.

the 'number one ' only has one way to go...
but I get what you are saying. you're right.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
"Deny Ignorance" (ahem deny being ignorant).

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Not to over simplify or rationalize in a sentence or two but, after the US had secured it's borders gathered its resources built it's business and industry up and yes overwhelmed an native population. It had al ready become a place for the rest of the world's tired and huddled masses

It was twice it was pulled into world conflict when close to a majority of it's citizens wanted no part of the old world BS. Once WWII was over and they were left on top, they did pretty much what any top dog would have done in that era. Except I guess the Soviet Union or China. Thats about the time the mega corporations started thriving. War tech and a second more lucrative Oil boom sprang up in the Middle East. Honestly its wonder it didnt turn out much more worse than it has. Being cynical is the easiest thing to do, and in todays world it is lauded as intellect.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
As long as there are those that draw breath that care about this country, our constitution, and our republic, then YES we absolutely do.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Couldn’t have said any better, thanks and star&flag for you.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Before we begin...
The Federal Government is NOT "America". - Duh

The US Military is NOT "America". Then who else serves in our armed forces?

The Republican Party is NOT "America". Again, duh

The Democrat Party is NOT "America".See Above

The US Congress is NOT "America". See Above 1 more row

The US Senate is NOT "America". See Above 2 more rows

The POTUS... any POTUS... is NOT "America". Correct

US Foreign Policy is NOT "America". OK?

To criticize any of the above is NOT "Anti-American". You're right, it's just pointing out the obvious

Nothing, not 1 thing in your op, has anything to do, with the 4th of July, or why we celebrate it.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The fact that no one thing defines America is exactly what we celebrate.

My tradition is to always bring up the revolutionary war during the fireworks shows, and to try to name a forefather or American Patriot with my family each time a firework explodes. It's extremely difficult but fun if you like history. I was with a friend of my fiance this year and she didn't know why I brought up the British, or who we fought during the revolutionary war...

But of course we still deserve to celebrate. We created an amazing place to live, and no matter how polarizing things get (these times are far from the first time), we are ultimately striving to be the best country in the world. Still striving to be free of tyranny and oppression. I love this country, I love my state, and I love my fellow countrymen no matter where I'm at.

This country will come together again, and we will be stronger because of the storms we've endured together. In the end, we're all just a giant disfunctional but loving family.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   
America consists of Colonists who escaped from other Colonies abroad, only to recreate new colonies created by other Colonist leaders so that they could make new rules mixed with old ones. Nothings changed in 350 years. Although the Natives didn't have much say in their lands being taken, no Country that ever conquered did either.

Only difference being that now, people are supposedly ''civilized'' and either conservative or liberal. If it looks like sh't and it smells like sh't chances are it's sh't.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   
A day to respect those who put themselves in harms way in order for you to be here.

A day to respect your elders, as many have spent this day in the service of this country.

Then, light a firecracker, drink a beer and enjoy the day.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

We've willingly put into place over the years all the things that was rebelled against.

Like every other holiday, the 4th is so far removed so far from what it stands for.

But that's okay, isn't it?
I mean, the kids have their phones, the wife has her xanax and a minivan, and I have my bass boat and go hunting....

I agree w/ you 100%

To me, it seems people want thier creature comforts over safety, security, etc.

We preach individualism, yet punish those who dare to be different, it seems.

We encourage hard work, yet make sure even the non-contributors get the benefits.

We rule by majority decision, yet bow down to special interests/minority segments. (Not just race, though that is certainly included)

By and large, we have become what we left behind in 1776.
Honestly, I'll do my part to (Even though I'm a Trump fan, conservative, but NOT a republican, I hate this phrase) Make America Great Again, I kinda believe it may be too late.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Funny I always thought the 4th represented our independence from a foreign power and the English Crown. Taxation without representation and all those quaint historical quotes etc etc..

Nothing any of us can do about the old history; even though there are those constantly trying to rewrite history as I post this... But today the same old sh*t you implied is going on. Syria, Yemen, or anyplace else US bombs are falling for a regime change... Iraq and Libya seem to be great garden spots of peace and tranquillity after our intervention.. (sarc) Where were, or are, the protest over current American foreign policies ?

Everything else that came after independence, right or wrong, came afterwards..And...by the way things are going I will be surprised if the country last another 242 years.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Funny I always thought the 4th represented our independence from a foreign power and the English Crown

Britain was not a " Foreign Power "

North America was colonised by The British and became part of The British Empire. The inhabitants of the 13 North American Colonies where British Subjects. .

How do you claim Britain was a foreign power ? I await your reply with interest.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

No argument from me .. They wanted local control of government and taxes. Yep I think I read only 3 present took up arms against the British and another small percentage supported them.. But as history shows that was all it took back then to establish self governance and the country known as America.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join