It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYT - Let's Kill The First Amendment. How Conservatives Weaponized the First Amendment

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

It's speech.

Once you start to regulate it, put limits on what can and cannot be said, then you start to restrict things that you simply don't want said more than what ought not be said.

Everyone likes to go back to yelling fire in a crowded theatre because it can trigger people to panic and potentially trample others.

Well, these days we have a bunch of people who equate merely speaking opinions they don't like to actual physical violence and respond with physical violence in kind. That is the rationale they use. They say that if someone like Ben Shapiro, for example, comes to their college to give a speech, one people must pay to attend, then Ben's mere words are the actual equivalent of Ben walking around throwing physical punches, so they are well within their rights to seek to physically attack Ben and/or anyone who would seek to hear what Ben has to say.

And that is following off the "fire in a crowded theatre" mindset, taking it to extremes.

If gives them a pseudo-rational reason to simply violently attack people they know hold different points of view than they do, points of view they do not like. It is the abrogation of the intent of the 1st Amendment which is to allow the free exchange of thoughts and ideas, particularly political ones.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
i go to twitter, and complain to them directly, any reporter spewing pro-paganda.

dont think it works? look at rian johnson from star wars infamy. the idiot is crying non stop because he reads all the twitter reactions to his film.

these reporters are narcissistic, so if enough people complain to them, then the next guy might think twice before sh!ting out pro-pagandist garbage.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Pretty sad seeing so many people falling for the blatant propaganda being used to weaponize both sides of the political divide.

The media is Palpatine and you guys are falling so hard for their bull# on a daily basis. The more you buy into their rhetoric the deeper you sink into the quagmire of hate and darkness. Read almost any thread and see the hate and vitriol being spewed at one side or the other.

You guys are so deep in the quagmire it's sad. Get out while you can.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
The New York Times published an article which suggests that the First Amendment needs to be controlled. Conservative speech is bad for the country and free speech reinforces and amplifies injustice!

How Conservatives Weaponized the First Amendment
www.nytimes.com...

“The libertarian position has become dominant on the right on First Amendment issues,” said Ilya Shapiro, a lawyer with the Cato Institute. “It simply means that we should be skeptical of government attempts to regulate speech. That used to be an uncontroversial and nonideological point. What’s now being called the libertarian position on speech was in the 1960s the liberal position on speech.”

As a result, liberals who once championed expansive First Amendment rights are now uneasy about them.

“The left was once not just on board but leading in supporting the broadest First Amendment protections,” said Floyd Abrams, a prominent First Amendment lawyer and a supporter of broad free-speech rights. “Now the progressive community is at least skeptical and sometimes distraught at the level of First Amendment protection which is being afforded in cases brought by litigants on the right.”

Many on the left have traded an absolutist commitment to free speech for one sensitive to the harms it can inflict.

Some liberals now say that free speech disproportionately protects the powerful and the status quo.

“When I was younger, I had more of the standard liberal view of civil liberties,” said Louis Michael Seidman, a law professor at Georgetown. “And I’ve gradually changed my mind about it. What I have come to see is that it’s a mistake to think of free speech as an effective means to accomplish a more just society.”

To the contrary, free speech reinforces and amplifies injustice, Catharine A. MacKinnon, a law professor at the University of Michigan, wrote in “The Free Speech Century,” a collection of essays to be published this year.

“Once a defense of the powerless, the First Amendment over the last hundred years has mainly become a weapon of the powerful,”

This is why we have a 2nd Amendment... Our forefathers didn't feel sorry for those who perverted the constitution, they shot em or hung em. I think its about time we start exercising our 2nd Amendment and honoring the freedoms we have and replacing any and all of those who want to pervert the constitution! Voting any body in or out will not work any more. sometimes you gotta gang up on the bully and whip his A$$ instead of giving up your lunch money to keep him off your back.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Pretty sad seeing so many people falling for the blatant propaganda being used to weaponize both sides of the political divide.

The media is Palpatine and you guys are falling so hard for their bull# on a daily basis. The more you buy into their rhetoric the deeper you sink into the quagmire of hate and darkness. Read almost any thread and see the hate and vitriol being spewed at one side or the other.

You guys are so deep in the quagmire it's sad. Get out while you can.

Well...coming from the guy who swallows the anti-Trump propaganda hook, line, and sinker daily, you’ll excuse us if we don’t follow your new found “logic”. Logic that, for your posts, only seems to surface when the lunatic fringe left is being rightfully called out.

Come on Man!
edit on 4/7/2018 by Lab4Us because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

"New found"? I've been saying this for nearly two years, where have you been?

You wonder why I speak out against it in threads like this one? Because these threads far outnumber the ones that criticize Trump. Look at the front page on any given day and tell me which variety make it to the top. Be honest with yourself, you know the anti-left threads are far more popular around here. Don't lie.

By the way, what propaganda do I fall for? Literally the only exposure I have to politics is on these boards and guess which propaganda is more prevalent? The anti-left propaganda, so tell me what propaganda I swallow again? I'm not the one reading the news and creating threads about how outraged I am about it, that goes to you guys not me.

Sorry to see you're swallowing their propaganda hook, line and sinker though. The more outraged you are the deeper you fall into hate, that goes for the left as well. Thing is, the media's propaganda extends both ways, not just one. They want you outraged just as much as they want others to believe in their rhetoric, how else could they possibly want it? You don't think they want you to be angry at "the left"? If not, why do they continue to spread their bull# in spite of you getting more and more angry at them every day? The answer is that you are reacting in the exact way they want you to react. If you can come to terms with that then maybe you have hope of escaping their bubble of influence.

If you can't see how badly you're being played then you are probably part of the bubble they've created specifically for you. Good luck getting out but you might be so far down in the muck there's no hope of escape. Keep hating those lefties though, I'm sure it's doing a lot of good and I'm sure the media will happily continue supplying you with your daily dose of outrage, how else would they stay relevant other than with your help?
edit on 7/4/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This entire anti-1st amendment stance is predicated upon the throngs of millenials that have been brought up in a world where offense is considered a crime. The ACLU recently issued a memo dealing with this. The young progressive leftists have no use for freedom, and for the Constitution. NYT, the ACLU, and the DNC know which side of the bread is buttered. They look only to bolster their funding, their membership, and their profits, regardless of the truth.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
This entire anti-1st amendment stance is predicated upon the throngs of millenials that have been brought up in a world where offense is considered a crime. The ACLU recently issued a memo dealing with this. The young progressive leftists have no use for freedom, and for the Constitution. NYT, the ACLU, and the DNC know which side of the bread is buttered. They look only to bolster their funding, their membership, and their profits, regardless of the truth.

So, why cant we just give them a one way ticket to live in a country that has no freedom of speech

edit on 4-7-2018 by xBWOMPx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

There is only one reason why public servants and their propaganda wing want to suppress ideas, because it could spell the end-of-government as they have come to know & cherish it, the end of what it has to offer them personally.

Because of the particular structure of the government, more control means vastly more power over individuals and how government expects them to conduct themselves and contribute tax dollars whilst remaining submissive.

The Constitution remains their stumbling block - it needs to be re-written / dismantled where deemed inconvenient by todays public servants and their propaganda wing.

Simples - you can't kill an idea with a bullet, so the pen is mightier than the sword, or so government and their propaganda wing would have us think.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

"You guys" ?
Who do you consider "you guys" ?
None here are using a 1970s Sci-Fi movie saying to propagate propaganda..
"Just you man , just you..."
Think about it...

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I dont do Youtube..
Or , any other...
So , you will have to let me know the point
Or , was it as pointless as most Youtube videos ?

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

What are you talking about? What 1970's movie? You've lost me, you'll have to be a lot more clear.

And by "you guys" I mean the people who regularly create political threads demeaning one side or the other while ignoring the hypocrisy of their own. This thread is but one example of this faux outrage and hypocrisy. There are plenty on the other side as well.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: CreationBro

Saying everything has laws and regulation is no argument that it should. The flaw in logic is yours.

Dude you twist and manipulate words and people's train of thought so well. Half the people that star you dont even understand what you're saying, they just like your misplaced conviction.

If you want to live in a Universe without laws/regulations, by all means, go make your own lawless Universe.

Im not even religious, but this seems fitting...

Thessalonians 2:8

Then the man of lawlessness will be revealed, but the Lord Jesus will kill him with the breath of his mouth and destroy him by the splendor of his coming

Good luck.

I don’t want to live in a world where someone like yourself wants to tell us what we can and cannot say.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Maybe someone posted about this and I missed it, but speaking of missing things, (and it’s our Independence Day, so I will make this query short)... where in that article other than the headline are Conservatives mentioned??

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well interestingly, the New York Times has a First Amendment right to publish what nutjobs have used their First Amendment rights to say.

I know this is simplistic but its what I work from now: people are either willing to live and let live or they want to control others.

It's obvious that this article's intention is to promote "controlling others" and I'm against that.

So's the First Amendment, by the by.

It's the same brand of warped logic that says that only racial majorities can be racist, only the "patriarchy" can be sexist, etc.etc.

It's indentity politics gone rancid pure and simple.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

You know, I've been reading lots of your posts lately, and agreeing more often than not. So I'm just gonna say this once...STOP IT!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy

You know, I've been reading lots of your posts lately, and agreeing more often than not. So I'm just gonna say this once...STOP IT!!!

LOL. Can't.

I may be growing up a bit. Or it may be another phase.

Who knows?

Besides if we all start making sense to each other again ... what will happen to the extremists?

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

A Better Idea in a Country who Covets Free Speech is to just Admit the New York Times are the Ones who should be Killed for their Seditious undermining of the United States Constitution ...........GUILTY as Charged !...

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I've heard rumors of a time before I came of age. A time that most Americans wanted the same things. Had the same goals for us as a country..for WE THE PEOPLE, they just disagreed upon how to get there. I didn't understand, but maybe I do now.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join