It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYT - Let's Kill The First Amendment. How Conservatives Weaponized the First Amendment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is just another typical left wing inversion of reality. Free speech reinforces and amplifies injustice. Incredible, but not surprising this is a NYT narrative. They lost the argument and now have to control speech to get their voice heard again.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The hypocrisy of this site is getting to mind boggling levels. I'm noticing a lot members denouncing this oped that cheered when it was suggested people that work for outlets like NYT be charged with treason.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

What I have come to see is that it’s a mistake to think of free speech as an effective means to accomplish a more just society.” 

So silencing those you disagree with is more just??

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Thanks for linking the article. It's a pretty good read, actually. Gives perspective to how the views and beliefs of politics and parties can evolve over time, and how there can be unintended consequences in the future, for the things you stand up for today.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I whole heartedly agree with the right. I want total, unregulated freedom, zero mitigation, of my speech or the will of my speech.

Should I feel it necessary, I will remote view and telepathically control every person that may be within ear shot of whatever targeted person I deem, and I will then exert this beautifully unmitigated freedom of speech through the mouths of others. Im thinking, maybe make every person that walks by my target person say something along the lines of,

"They're going to rape your wife and kill your children."

Basically like a broken record, have it happening several times an hour. Every day, for a few months. Maybe throw in some accusatory phrases like "Liar!" and some personal threats like "Im coming for you...."

Of course each person I posess will have to really sell the attacks on my target's conscienceness. The people will have to be really disturbed looking, maybe have their eyes roll back into their head, stuff like that.

. As long as I get to exert my will, my freedom, even if it may impinge on your autonomy or pursuit of happiness, life, and/or liberty, I dont care, because I love my freedoms, and I simply refuse to sacrifice my freedom to mentally enrage and torture you, should I will it.

Because words are just words. And if anything should happen to you via my systematic, verbal attacks, it will never be my fault, it will always, absolutely and entirely be your fault, because i am immaculately minded, I am immaterial, I am God.

..../sarcasm off

Is there a freedom to "not listen" in the works? I could have used that freedom a long time ago. Unfortunately, unlike sight, hearing is not only omni directional, theres really nothing you can do to close your ears, unlike eyes, without an external device, like an ear plug.

This post is supposed to highlight a flaw in logic that many fall for and that is the idea of total non-regulation, zero mitigation.

Whether its your speech, to world trade, to taxation, to natural disasters, to the Universe itself, EVERYTHING HAS LAWS AND REGULATORY PROTOCOL TO FUNCTION PROPERLY AND INSURE YOUR SURIVIVAL.

Im trying really god damn hard to be nice about this...

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

I whole heartedly agree with the right. I want total, unregulated freedom, zero mitigation, of my speech or the will of my speech.

Should I feel it necessary, I will remote view and telepathically control every person that may be within ear shot of whatever targeted person I deem, and I will then exert this beautifully unmitigated freedom of speech through the mouths of others. Im thinking, maybe make every person that walks by my target person say something along the lines of,

"They're going to rape your wife and kill your children."

Basically like a broken record, have it happening several times an hour. Every day, for a few months. Maybe throw in some accusatory phrases like "Liar!" and some personal threats like "Im coming for you...."

Of course each person I posess will have to really sell the attacks on my target's conscienceness. The people will have to be really disturbed looking, maybe have their eyes roll back into their head, stuff like that.

. As long as I get to exert my will, my freedom, even if it may impinge on your autonomy or pursuit of happiness, life, and/or liberty, I dont care, because I love my freedoms, and I simply refuse to sacrifice my freedom to mentally enrage and torture you, should I will it.

Because words are just words. And if anything should happen to you via my systematic, verbal attacks, it will never be my fault, it will always, absolutely and entirely be your fault, because i am immaculately minded, I am immaterial, I am God.

..../sarcasm off

Is there a freedom to "not listen" in the works? I could have used that freedom a long time ago. Unfortunately, unlike sight, hearing is not only omni directional, theres really nothing you can do to close your ears, unlike eyes, without an external device, like an ear plug.

This post is supposed to highlight a flaw in logic that many fall for and that is the idea of total non-regulation, zero mitigation.

Whether its your speech, to world trade, to taxation, to natural disasters, to the Universe itself, EVERYTHING HAS LAWS AND REGULATORY PROTOCOL TO FUNCTION PROPERLY AND INSURE YOUR SURIVIVAL.

Im trying really god damn hard to be nice about this...

Hmmm you seem to be missing the point. Pretty sure free speech doesn't include repeatedly telepathically bombarding someone...pretty sure there are harassment laws for things like that. Yes you do have the freedom not to listen. Put your #ing hands over your ears.... silencing ideas and voices you don't like is not just or reasonable and cannot lead to any kind of democracy. You certainly are free to not listen to ideas you don't like. It's pretty great...I do it all the time. Either by choosing not to read something I have no interest in, walking away from someone going off about some stupid #. Etc. But it sure is great that anyone can write something or say something even if I dont want to read or hear it. Nobody has the right to only be exposed to things that make them happy all the time. People seem to think this way for some reason though. We do not have the right to not be uncomfortable.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
are they purposely trying to destroy the DNC?

It really seems like it.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

Oh im sorry , I thought we were talking about reality, not fantasy telepathic control. Get a grip youre losing the plot

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

“Conservatives are weaponizing the first amendment” is a round-about way of saying “liberals are destroying the first amendment”.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Saying everything has laws and regulation is no argument that it should. The flaw in logic is yours.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I thought George Orwells 1984 was a warning. I've always suspected George was well informed of the secret intentions of a certain class of people.

But I never imagined it would become an open political platform.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Happy Fourth to you as well!

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Kagan was also the one who observed in the Union case recently that allowing people to support the candidates they wanted instead of the Union was "too much freedom".

Activist judge much?

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Having read the article the following can be stated:
The First amendment, it covers so many topics and ultimately has caused far more problems and solutions than many would expect. Time and time again, for what ever reason, it is always being attacked, and yet in this modern era, has been far more shown the ignorance on the part of the populace as to its nature and ultimately in the long term has suffered and endured.

Both the conservatives and the liberals have abused this right, even threatened it to the point where it is now a mess unlike any other. And the saddest thing of all, is that it is not just one side that is to blame. Take a good look at what has occurred in the past 2 years. People protest, and instead of accepting that those people have a right to speak, to say, to exercise their very right to the freedom of speech, those people protesting are attacked, for doing such. And if the other side does, then they are attacked. The current sitting president has suggested tightening if not removing the First amendment time and time again, even using his office to attack those that dare to displease him or his base. Did he really need to get involved in the entire NFL, or how about him saying that they need to loosen up the libel laws so if something offends, the person offending can be sued.

Yet they forget that such has been protected, even looked at by the courts and found to be protected, in a lawsuit brought up by the creator and owner of Hustler, who took a bullet for that very right, for him daring to take on the “Moral” authority of the country in satire. Peoples careers are made and destroyed by the words that they speak.

And yet after all of that, many people fail to understand the truest test of that very freedom, to defend the speech that we find distasteful. There are many aspects of this society we do not like, and many things that we will hear or see that offends us, and is offensive in its nature. However, as offensive as say a WBC sign may be, and even though they may not like me for being who I am, even condemning me to hell for such, I will defend their right to do such.

Perhaps we should remember that it is always easy to defend things we like to hear or even agree with, but to support that very freedoms, and that First Amendment, we need to protect and support the speech we do not like. There are consequences, and ultimately the greatest one should be to protect no matter what.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Foresight is nothing new. Before the dawn of the information age our leaders had it to some degree. It is well known that the Chinese look forward in terms of decades with all their decisions.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I had a deep response that could have shaken the boundaries of reality, conquered the limitations of Newtonian Laws and allowed for faster than light travel, transmuted lead into gold and set humanity on a path for a different tomorrow...

Unfortunately such a minor thing was mentioned that suggested independent thought and the NSA scrubbed it from the net and used HAARP to erase it from my mind.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

please start a HAARP or galactic federation of light thread, it was so much more entertaining

(post by CreationBro removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Saying everything has laws and regulation is no argument that it should. The flaw in logic is yours.

Dude you twist and manipulate words and people's train of thought so well. Half the people that star you dont even understand what you're saying, they just like your misplaced conviction.

If you want to live in a Universe without laws/regulations, by all means, go make your own lawless Universe.

Im not even religious, but this seems fitting...

Thessalonians 2:8

Then the man of lawlessness will be revealed, but the Lord Jesus will kill him with the breath of his mouth and destroy him by the splendor of his coming

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Ridiculous. Trump is right to label these people enemies of the people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join