It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you superstitious?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I'm curious if any of you have any superstitions that you abide by? I have a few..I don't know how they came about I just have certain things that I do or will not do depending on the circumstances. One silly one I have is that I cannot let my house run out of salt. I heard long ago that it was a very bad omen if you ran out of salt, and since then-I suppose-I have to have it in the pantry at all times. I rarely use it..so lucky for me, rarely run out.
I have other ones too..but I'm more interested in hearing yours, for now..
Thanks Magestica

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I seem to be very superstitious, but not in paying regard to what are culturally known as "Old Wives' Tales".

I have created my own pattern of superstitions which somehow I cannot escape from adhering to ritually.

This is a great thread.

* I've just got back from a historical day in doing whatever I do. I had a few celebratory drinks. I fixed a stupid typo. *

[Edited on 3-7-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Yea, that's what I am referring to..I too, have my own little idiosyncrasies or 'rituals' that I perform or adhere to on certain occassions and stuff
I'm just weird *or so I've been told*

Alot of athletes have them as well, especially baseball players..so I've read and seen.

so why don't ya tell us one of your MA?

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Ummm, yeah, I have one in particular but because of its 'sensitive nature', I will exclude it from discussion.

Other than that, I only have one other and its not really a superstition but is part of an ancient belief. Going to sound crazy but here goes....

I have a cat...a rather large 34 1/2 pound cat to be exact!. He is part bobcat and part minx. He is nutured and well kept and has become a part of this household as much as family. He has a humorous personality though it drives me crazy that he follows me around like a freakin dog every where I go and I mean every where I go!

But to get to what I do......before I goto bed at night, for which he sleeps at the foot of the bed....not on the floor mind ya, but ON the bed, I grab him and tell him "to watch my back and protect me from the unseen."

Its an ancient belief, perhaps still around, that a cat keeps evil spirits away. I have adopted this with my cat. I will post some pictures of him once I get around to developing the latest batch I have.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:39 AM
link   
That makes sense about your cat
But if I were to have known that all of you guys superstitions were of a *sensitive nature* then I would have never posted this..gee wiz
Noone wants to share theirs..that's no fun..It's not like I'd laugh or tell anyone

Magestica

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:43 AM
link   
magestica

The only reason I wouldn't tell you one of my own little idiosyncratic rituals is because I am shy with you.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Ok.....

But I warned ya.

As hilarious as this sounds its something I do irregardless! Man! I don't know why I'm saying this but here goes.......

Before I have sex or make 'love' with a woman, I say a pray and then after, I say another prayer. My girlfriend, for which we are going to be married after I get my MBA, has noticed this and actually caught me on my knees, in all places...the bathroom.....leaning on the toilet....praying. When she asked me why....I, ummmm, told her. She laughed but has accepted it quite well. In fact, the last time we 'indulged' ourselves....in the car.....she asked me to not forget to pray! Wooot....what a woman I got.

Bah!!......this sucks....

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:48 AM
link   
By G-d, now the whole damn world knows this!!

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:50 AM
link   
On top of that....NOW I'm probably going to get a 'warn' and probably get banned......not good at all. Just GREAT!!!

Oh well, at least everyone will get a laugh on me.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 3-7-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I wouldn't let that get to you. The way I see it, it is quite noble. Even still I think that superstitions are total mind control. It is just ritual. Ritual that breeds fear and worry. These types of traits never do us any good and all superstitions should be dropped for the sake of one's own mind.

(Just one man's opinion, nothing to take seriously)

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 04:35 AM
link   
First off, thank you for not laughing at me, though you probably did and didn't mention it but thanks anyhoo.

Secondly, thank you for your words AV.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I don't think of myself aas being supersitious. But needless to say there are a few culturally sensitive customs that I do adhere to , but this is due more to respect rather than supersitition. One that I take particular care with is assosiated to the customs of the Native people of New Zealand the Maori. The Maori have a belief that certian areas a Tapu (cursed) this may be due to many reasons, but usually because the area may once have been a burial ground or a great accident/incident may have happened there. These places become Tapu and if some one breaks a Tapu they can become cursed. I dont belive this, but out of respect I follow the traditions than entail washing the Face, Hands, and feet with fresh running water to counter the Tapu. Since I spend a lot of time in the outdoors tramping Mountian biking and sking I sometime have no choice to enter upon these areas. So upon leaving I follow the traditions. Some Maori will not even enter these areas opting to go aroud or turn back.

Other than that I do have alot of idiosyncrosies, but none are supersitiouslyy related.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
magestica
The only reason I wouldn't tell you one of my own little idiosyncratic rituals is because I am shy with you.

Now why on earth are you shy with me? Did I do something? You have no reason to feel shy with me..I'm like the most open and sharing person that I know..I don't think there could ever be anything that someone could tell me that would shock me, honestly...
Magestica

Seeker~
I didn't laugh, and I don't think you are a freak or anything..that is so sweet actually..*but what exactly is it that you pray for?*
I'm kidding, you don't have to go there..you've said plenty and thank you for doing that much...

Maddas~
That is very interesting what you've said..and really cool that you respect the maori ways...and you are right, for the most part I wouldn't consider myself overly superstitious, but I just have certain ritualistic tendencies..that some would most definately consider superstitions..OK well so maybe I am a bit superstitious now that I think about it..but there's nothing wrong with it

AV~I don't understand how you could think that this is a form of mind control..I'm very much in control of my mind, perhaps this is why I do things a certain way or refuse to do things under certain circumstances? Please do explain though..you got me a tad bit concerned..
Thanks Mags

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think everyone here is superstitious,
that's why we joined ATS2, right?

Tassadar

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
No, I'm not religious....oh, you meant....well, same thing...

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
How is superstitious the same as religious? I'm not religious either..but I have my weird superstitions. I have no clue why, just coming from past experiences I suppose? So can you please explain this for me. I'm just not seeing the connection

Mags

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   
im not superstitious as i have number 13 tattooed on me

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 03:23 PM
link   
lol@ seekerof's superstition, that's quite funny.

I only have one superstition. I dont know if it should be classified as one but here it goes.

Every public place I go to, restaurant or such when there's a door I always sit facing the door or the exit. I never sit with my back towards the door or exit.

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm the same way and alot of people I know are the same as well. I think it's smart..and safe. You should never have your back towards a door, you can't see what or who is coming in and you never ever know?? Plus, you can check people out that way

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The only one i have is pouring a glass of water to the top and covering it with a bowl, then leaving it at my bedside everytime i go to sleep.
My grandmother told me that this keeps the bad spirits away.
Deep

top topics

<<   2 >>

join