It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much ocean water is currently being displaced by ships?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
And to the OP, these are the facts.

Water evaporates. We know this because when we boil a pot of water, it becomes invisible. One day we will discover where it goes, and get it all back, I hope.

So we need boats to keep the land afloat. If we didn't have boats, the islands would sink with not enough water from the evaporation to keep them afloat. So we need more boats as the earth warms up due to global warming. We've all heard that famous US politician saying that if they get too many people on an island, it might capsize. Well, worse than capsizing, is a sunk island. Nothing but coconut trees sticking out of the sea. Ever eaten a coconut that's soaked in the sea? way too salty.

We need more boats, bigger boats, and the sooner the better.

/fin

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage

originally posted by: tvtexan
Throw 200,000 ants into an Olympic sized swimming pool. Then measure how much the water went up.

That should give you a rough idea.
Probably not much.

PS- there is a noisy public pool close to my house, we start there.

Yes but are they angry ants?

They are slightly ill-tempered ants.

The Queen has a friggin laser beam on her head.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: wtfatta

originally posted by: Metallicus
Are you being serious?

Yes lol. Is it wrong to ask? Should I be shunned for asking? Did you assume this is an attempt to prove or disprove something "climate changy" or did you realize it's an actual question, had nothing to offer, but still felt the need to speak? That's fine too. I'm just looking for clarification.

It's just a bizarre question and something strange to concern yourself with as the effects of ships on the Ocean are so minimal as to be irrelevant.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

Well, worse than capsizing, is a sunk island. Nothing but coconut trees sticking out of the sea. Ever eaten a coconut that's soaked in the sea? way too salty.

The land COULD flood, but that's because the chains that anchor the land are too tight. All you need to do is loosen the chains by one link and everything will be fine. Of course, doing that is a major public works progress that requires trained commercial divers. There's both a shortage of divers and a shortage of extra links.

We'd better start now.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

How much ocean water is currently being displaced by the ships

None, their technology can manipulate time and space, not sure about the bases though....

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Whoever said 200k ants is being absurd

It would be more the size of 200k legs off of a flea in a olympic sized swimming pool.

Now, lets say for a laugh that oceans were being effected by all the stuff we are tossing in there...well, consider all the fish we take out of there..that should equal it all out.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Oh god they’re not even counting shipwrecks! Or lava flows we’re dddooommmmmeeeddddd, damn them all to hell!!! (In my best Heston impersonation)

edit on 7/3/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Whats the difference between a ship and a boat?

1. Size

The most important aspect that is considered while stating the difference between a ship and a boat is the size. It is said that the best way to differentiate between a ship and a boat is to remember that “A ship can carry a boat, but a boat cannot carry a ship.”

2. Operational Areas

A major difference between ship and boat is that of their areas of operation. Ships are vessels that are operated in oceanic areas and high seas. They usually include cruise vessels, naval ship, tankers, container ships, RoRo ships, and offshore vessels. They are mainly built for cargo/ passenger transportation across oceans.

Boats in contrast, are operable in smaller/ restricted water areas and include ferrying and towing vessels, sail vessels, paddle vessels, kayaks, canoe, patrolling vessels etc. Boats are mainly used for smaller purposes and mainly ply in areas near to the coast.

3. Navigation and Technology

Technologically, boats are simple vessels with less complicated equipment, systems and operational maintenance requirements. Since ships are required to be operable for longer time-duration and travel across oceans, they are manned using advanced engineering, heavy machinery, and navigational systems.

4. Construction and Design

When it comes to construction and design, ships are complicated structures having a variety of machinery systems and designing aspects for safety and stability of the ship.

A boat is much simple in construction and build, and has lesser machines and design complexities.

5. Propulsion

A boat can be powered by sails, motor, or human force, whereas a ship has dedicated engines to propel them. (Ships can also be propelled by sails or other advanced propulsion technologies)

Even though all vessels operating in the high seas are referred to as ships, submersible vessels are categorically termed as ‘boats.’ This is mainly because of the fact that in the earlier centuries, submersible vessels could be hoisted on ships till they were required to be used in the naval operations. However, while talking about differences between a ship and a boat, vessels floating on water surface is mainly considered

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

originally posted by: abeverage

originally posted by: tvtexan
Throw 200,000 ants into an Olympic sized swimming pool. Then measure how much the water went up.

That should give you a rough idea.
Probably not much.

PS- there is a noisy public pool close to my house, we start there.

Yes but are they angry ants?

Can you imagine the ruckus with how many anteaters we'd have to throw in the pool to clean it up?

Some people just don't think ahead!

Yeah: then we'll probably have to throw a few pumas in the pool, to, you know, "take care", of the anteaters.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: wtfatta

When I lived on the isle of wight I loved being down at the water when the boat thingy was on, I can't link from my phone but you could look it up, there's a big boating event once a year and the channel between Portsmouth and us was filled with boats and during this event the sea water would lap over the breaker walls, there was definitely a significant water displacement.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Add 2 billion blue whales in the ocean, you might see an inch rise. If not less than that

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Well, let's use your highest number and round up to 7 billion tons of displacement.

Google says the world's oceans contain 1.45 quintiilion tons of water.

7 billion divided by 1.45 quintiilion is 0.0000000048, which is 48 billionths of 1 percent.

The volume of earth's oceans is 1,332,000,000 cubic kilometers.

48 billionths of 1 percent of 1.332 billion cubic kilometers is 6.43 cubic kilometers.

The area of earth's oceans is 510 million square kilometers.

6.43 divided by 510 million is 0.0000000126078 kilometers.

So, the answer is 0.0126 millimeters.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Archimedes rules!

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dalepmay
You seem good at working out high figures so I'll bring up my old chestnut. Please look at the volume the worlds rivers put into the oceans every second then forget about water displacement by ships AND the small amout that melting glaciers would put into the equation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join