It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Ready To SCRAP Obama's Affirmative Action Guidelines

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

as opposed to how the left reacts...

ERHMAHGERDDDD SO RACIST SO EVIL, HE'S DESTROYING ERMEREKA SOMEONE IMPEEECH HIM GRAHHHGGGH

Racism card is as retarded as globalist card.

So segregation is kewl huh.

Nice hat. Did you knit it?

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

Not what I said at all. But it is undeniable that the damage done to the Black community over centuries of repression cannot be fixed with a generation or two of lip service equality.

Damage ?
Japan was NUKED, TWICE !!!, plus with large parts of it firebombed. Most German cities in WW2 were also reduced to rubble. Both Germany and Japan recovered in ONE generation. Which Black neighborhood anywhere on the planet at any time in history ever had such a situation ?

edit on 3-7-2018 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

So then you agree that poor, underperforming, inner city, schools should get the same funding and support as schools in overachieving, wealthy areas.

link   
a reply to: SummerRain

No one is promoting segregation. Segregation is the act of the State (or an institution) forcing folks to separate based on race. That is racism, without a doubt.

However, circumstances being what they are does not constitute racism. Racism is an active process that denies specific Americans their rights based on their race. Living in a low income area and going to a low income school is not racism. There is no official policy requiring your attendance at that school, instead that decision is dictated by that family's particular finances.

No one is responsible for making up for a family's low income. And suggesting someone supports segregation simply because they demand race-blind & merit based admissions is the epitome of ignorance and false equivalency.

link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Yes, absolutely I do

But I think the model of investing in schools vs. students in worth discussing
If the money follows the student (vs. the school) public schools would have incentive to be more competitive and would also provide the funding required for students wishing to attend schools traditionally outside their economic scope

edit on 7/3/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I'm sure if this was 1966, you'd have a lot easier time wrapping your head around why somebody would consider positive discrimination as a viable solution to integrating a segregated society.

That wasn't even considered in 1966 or any other year .Numbers , affirmative action , nothing of the sort. It was a CHOICE of which schools to attend.

Before you post such as that , at least consult with a US citizen who was alive at the time...
Else , it makes it too east to put your posts to rest.

edit on 7/3/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cutepants
Well done by Trump. They should make majority black schools work better, though it's not so easy, or possibly they should give black parents more and better options when picking a school for their children. But affirmative is unfair and undermines the nation's sense of fairness. It undermines our future too, when more promising students loose opportunities.

The problem is the school boards. That's been documented since the 1950's. Give any corrupt bureaucracy billions of dollars and they will first spend it on new offices, carpets, luxury chairs tables, commissioned pieces of artwork and antique artwork, a round of payrises and promotions, new administrative staff (from close personal friends and family), and whatever is left close to the end of the year will actually be spent on repairs to the schools, teaching resources and teachers salaries.

You could give grants to parents and their children, but then some would just waste the money on designer clothes.
Funding private tutors would be another, but that would be claimed to be elitist.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Wiping out two militarily strategic cities is pretty horrific. But it's a bit different than a centuries long policy of oppression.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Cutepants
Well done by Trump. They should make majority black schools work better, though it's not so easy, or possibly they should give black parents more and better options when picking a school for their children. But affirmative is unfair and undermines the nation's sense of fairness. It undermines our future too, when more promising students loose opportunities.

The problem is the school boards. That's been documented since the 1950's. Give any corrupt bureaucracy billions of dollars and they will first spend it on new offices, carpets, luxury chairs tables, commissioned pieces of artwork and antique artwork, a round of payrises and promotions, new administrative staff (from close personal friends and family), and whatever is left close to the end of the year will actually be spent on repairs to the schools, teaching resources and teachers salaries.

You could give grants to parents and their children, but then some would just waste the money on designer clothes.
Funding private tutors would be another, but that would be claimed to be elitist.

You mean the Board of Directors for that college , yes ?
School Boards are usually city or county.
Yes , a college is a private institution ran by a corporate style hierarchy.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Agreed. It is time folks start making concrete steps to solidifying their financial and socio-economic success.

The one area we can improve on is the ridiculous number of black adult males imprisoned for non-violent drug offenses. Trump's current consideration of de-scheduling Marijuana will vastly reduce the money wasted on incarcerating non-violent drug offenders (for that particular substance) and have the net result of putting more black adult men back in the home with their families.

We would see true generational changes and give black Americans the needed familial structures to succeed.

That is how President Trump should (and possibly will) tackle these issues

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Wiping out two militarily strategic cities is pretty horrific. But it's a bit different than a centuries long policy of oppression.

Yet , both are history...
Livin in the past , much ?
This is the 21st Century. How about stepping up into it ?

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh, yeah, it sounds awkward to put the best students from the least successful schools there. Seems like it'll result in most of the struggling students being black or Latino. Pretty awkward, I don't know what else to say. And if they can't keep up with the other students (because they went to such a crappy school before), then maybe this is not the best way to even the playing field. I imagine it would work to some extent, but maybe not enough. I'm not an expert though.

Well do you think it's possible to help these black kids realize more of their full potential without disadvantaging other kids? I guess there's always going to be a limited number of slots in the best schools, until the singularity comes or the end times. It is thorny like you said, understandably the parents of Asian kids are unhappy. And they're sort of separate from the oppressor/oppressed dynamic of blacks and whites (whether you believe in that or not) so they can complain about this more freely.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I really don't know much about school administration in the US, but it seems like something is wrong with them, yeah.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

a reply to: JBurns

So then you agree that poor, underperforming, inner city, schools should get the same funding and support as schools in overachieving, wealthy areas.

You do realize that a large part of the funding and support those schools receive comes from the parents of the students who value education for their children?

Even if poor, parents who value education can do a lot for their children. Did you skip over what I was saying about the elite high schools of NYC entirely? Some of those schools have student bases that are majority free and reduced lunch, and the one thing those kids have in common is that their parents cared enough about their futures to make time to see to it they prepped to do well on that entrance exam no matter their background.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

The main problem is that some communities do not have a recent history of valuing education like others do. Asians live, breathe and die education for the most part. It doesn't matter their socio-economic status, it's a part of their culture to value education. That's why you see so many Asian children excelling.

Whites used to have that cultural emphasis, but we're slipping.

Blacks valued education quite a bit right about the time of the Civil Rights era, but that value has eroded along with their family structure.

The problems go back into the home, so it's more than just providing access to a good school. As has been pointed out in other threads, Africans (real ones from countries like Nigeria) come into this country and kill it. They're hungry and prepared to succeed and also better educated. Some of them did not have anything like what your typical inner city kid spits on as a crap school, too. Some of them learned their basics on mud floors.

It's about your culture and what you value. In order to really help a lot of these kids and rescue them, you are looking at having to restructure parts of society as a whole, not just the schools.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

a reply to: smkymcnugget420

Not what I said at all. But it is undeniable that the damage done to the Black community over centuries of repression cannot be fixed with a generation or two of lip service equality.

I appreciate your point, but when does it end? this is the 21st century. Jim Crow ended fifty+ years ago. two generations have had integrated access.

I see two reasons for the educational inequality. first, many urban schools do a poor job of educating (and disciplining) their mostly minority students. this is not caused by white racism, unless we conclude the the politicians and administrators of these schools are racist. (these are almost all democrats and I can't say how much racism is involved.) complain about the schools and they say you're against educations and teachers unions and give us more money. would be nice if the African-American population of these districts rose up and DEMANDED their officials fix the schools.
(by the way, many Republicans advocate vouchers and school choice; the democrats invariably shut these down.)

second problem is cultural. too many African-Americans have been indoctrinated into believing that they have no future or hope of succeeding in the USA, so they don't try, seeing getting an education as wasted effort. young males get into drugs and crime and young females get pregnant without spouse; these things are always recipes for failure.

would be nice if Hollywood and the rap / R&B industry etc would promote staying in school and getting educated instead of glorifying this self-destructive urban subculture.

we don't have a race problem in the USA, we have a culture problem.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

As a minority, I generally support affirmative action and think the arguments being used against it are too simplistic

As a minority, I think that if my own government needs to give me a hand up when competing with white people then that law is, by definition, racist.

Because they are treating me different because of my race.

Simplistic enough?

Level the playing field. Period.

edit on 3-7-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, I agree with you on this issue for sure.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
You can't end discrimination by discriminating.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I would hope most people would appreciate the differences in macro and micro economic policy when it comes to reasons why affirmative action was a sound policy in it's onset.

White flight was a real a determinant factor in the set up of the "ghettos" (It's a Jewish word, i believe.). A major employer leaves to start up in Suburbia. A population that goes from 1 million to 500 thousand in such a short period of time will struggle to support it's children education. The funds will not be there. In the meantime, taxes go up for everyone in the new BEST PLACE TO BE!! as the place they just were stays about the same if not a slight increase.

People have left the big city and moved to the suburbs. CIA Crack coc aine has decimated the local population. If you don't do it you sell it because jobs are scarce and the money is too good to pass up. Is there such a thing as a friend in this situation? I think when everything is on the line there is nothing to lose. I don't care which race you are. Pretty much game over at that point. When there is no other choice most people will pick the easiest path.

It just so happens that most blacks in our grand experiment were easily segregated into high density areas from laws and policies of past administrations. And I support the effort to have at least some semblance of balance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join