It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Game Hunter Kills Giraffe and Sparks Controversy

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: DexterRiley

Try living where there are moose... hit one at speed and you're looking at a total loss and likely death of anyone in the front seat.

I remember the Mythbusters Moose Mayhem episode. If I recall correctly, it didn't end well for the moose or the automobile.

-dex

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

So then you dont eat meat?

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley
So, what do you, my somewhat dysfunctional ATS family, have to say about this?

I think I'd love to have that giraffe as a shoulder mount sitting in my front entryway. That's a beautiful kill by a beautiful lady.

#EffTheHaters

Whew. I'm glad you said it and not me.

A wealthy, sexy lady that knows her way around a high powered rifle is the basis for a good *** dream.

But you didn't hear that from me...

-dex

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Yep. I got the impression that she knew what she was doing. And she selected the animal that was least beneficial to the herd.

Other than the morality and ethics issues, I believe she covered all her bases. And as we can see in this thread, there are a number of opinions about how those topics come into play.

nothing compares to hunting terrorists which is considerably more challenging.
Yep. They shoot back. But I think there are fewer ethics and morality issues with hunting those critters.

-dex

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I think I'd love to have that giraffe as a shoulder mount sitting in my front entryway. That's a beautiful kill by a beautiful lady.

#EffTheHaters

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
As a South African, I appreciate the money she brought into my country.

As much as a lot of people are ‘outraged’ she probably spent a fortune in a country with a starving economy, not to mention the people she fed. This is Africa, we have way bigger problems facing us than Giraffe hunting.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Guess you missed the part where 2000 lbs of meat went to feed local villagers? Bet they aren't sending death threats to the evil hunter who killed an animal?

She apparently killed the giraffe because she gets off on killing defenseless animals. She then took a selfie next to the dead giraffe with a grin on her face so she could show it to all her friends. Once she took the picture, she had no further use for the animal, so the locals made use of the carcass. Her purpose for killing the animal was not to provide for herself or others.

If this instead were a story about nature preserve management making a decision to cull a few older adult giraffes because there was failure to thrive of newborns, most wouldn't care. Why? Because the killing wouldn't have been done for personal enjoyment. That's what this is all about: killing solely for pleasure, and being very proud of it afterwards and showing it off to your friends. That's the issue, not the fact that some use came out of the carcass.

Also, I fail to see how this showcases any skills on her part. Giraffes are curious of humans in general, and often won't run until persons are well within rifle range. Given how huge they are, it's not really a hunt. Does she also get satisfaction from shooting a dairy cow? How about the broadside of a barn?

edit on 3-7-2018 by Kohll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kohll

It makes me giggle how self-righteous you guys are

(post by bobs_uruncle removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
As a South African, I appreciate the money she brought into my country.

As much as a lot of people are ‘outraged’ she probably spent a fortune in a country with a starving economy, not to mention the people she fed. This is Africa, we have way bigger problems facing us than Giraffe hunting.

Thank you!

I highly value the input from someone who is close to the situation.

We can easily armchair quarterback the events happening 8000 miles (13000 km) away. But for most of us, we have very little understanding of what's happening on the ground, so to speak, in South Africa. We can calculate the practical positives and negatives. We can debate the morality and ethics of the event from our comfortable homes on the other side of the world. But the people who benefit most from this transaction really have the final word.

-dex

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

My conscience is in the right place, kill an animal to feed people, but always leave enough breeding stock for future generations, kill a terrorist to save people so there are future generations.

I think I'm going to add that to my list of axioms. It has a ring to it.

-dex

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: robynd0623

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

I have no issues with hunting, ive killed my share of whitetail and a few blackies, along with rabbits, squirrels, and doves.

I eat EVERYTHING or give the meat to neighbors..

This woman probably killed for enjoyment. Why not just admit it? I have no issues with why she killed it. But she didnt fly over there and pay all that money to kill it for meat or conservation. She took joy in it.

And so what if she did???? It fed a ton of people and put tons of cash back into conservation...... Technically by the numbers including the number of people fed, hell she was even MORE justified.....

It boggles my mind how big yalls blindspots are when your self righteousness comes into play

Did you even read the article or just saw the pics and knee jerked

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: robynd0623

I have no issues with hunting, ive killed my share of whitetail and a few blackies, along with rabbits, squirrels, and doves.

I eat EVERYTHING or give the meat to neighbors..

This woman probably killed for enjoyment. Why not just admit it? I have no issues with why she killed it. But she didnt fly over there and pay all that money to kill it for meat or conservation. She took joy in it.

And so what if she did???? It fed a ton of people and put tons of cash back into conservation...... Technically by the numbers including the number of people fed, hell she was even MORE justified.....

It boggles my mind how big yalls blindspots are when your self righteousness comes into play

Did you even read the article or just saw the pics and knee jerked

I have no issue with that and it was worth it. All im saying is her #1 priority wasn't for the side effect of her kill being meat, money, conservation. She wanted that trophy and picture.

Are you saying if she were allowed to kill this animal for free. And it would do nothing to help conservation, nor feed anyone she would not have killed it?

IMO yes she would have.

Nothing wrong with it not judging her just being honest why she did it and it wasn't for the virtuous benefits being claimed.

In other words if there were no positive side effects of this animal being shot she probably still would have shot it.

edit on 3-7-2018 by robynd0623 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

That's #ed.

Why do they call it hunting, it's not hunting it's killing for sport and that is done by grade a psychopaths.....

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
She has a smile on her face like she's done something great. She's a fool.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Not from wild animals no, we have meat farms where the animals are bred for slaughter, which is cruel in its own way but that's society for ya, we all need to eat.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

My conscience is in the right place, kill an animal to feed people, but always leave enough breeding stock for future generations, kill a terrorist to save people so there are future generations.

I think I'm going to add that to my list of axioms. It has a ring to it.

-dex

Here's another one for you lol

"As a rule, I don't do wetwork anymore, but there are exceptions to every rule."

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/3.2018 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

edit on 3-7-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join