It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Game Hunter Kills Giraffe and Sparks Controversy

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Like open deer hunting on Fire Island every November. It's a small island and the deer poulation would starve if some weren't removed. It's strictly bow hunting. I think there is a pig or goat population too.
Oh Chincoteague and Assateague islands they have a wild pony roundup every year to cull the wild horses. It's all in the best interest of the animals.
edit on 732018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

What does Trump have to do w this thread? Nice attempt at derailment

But then again you made a ton of assumptions about who a person was and what their history was based on a pic with their hunt so....... I'm not surprised

Says more about you than that pic of them does
edit on 7/3/2018 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm always torn by this topic. I was raised to believe trophy hunting is a bad thing, but hunting for food is normal.

I have no problem with trophies as long as the goal is food. If someone happens to take a record animal while food hunting, by all means have it mounted and be proud of it. I know how hard hunting is and the skill it takes.

In this case the meat was used, so no problem there for me and if the money is used the right way, that's good also, so I don't really have any issue here.

I know whenever I've taken a deer, moose or elk I do not rejoice in the process. It's a natural part of life though, just like killing cattle to fill the freezer. The only difference when they are well managed like they are in the US, is that the livestock takes care of itself.

Going after her for doing what is legal and may well benefit wildlife management there is so wrong, it barely needs saying. Activist do tend to be jerks and seldom deal in facts.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I'm surprised I'm still on the opposite side of the fence from so many.
Weird huh? I thought guns and hunting were the one place we all were gonna meet.
I don't own guns nor do I hunt but I'm not against gun ownership or hunting. I am like everyone here against using guns on humans unless your own life is in danger.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

The line is as I said drawn between hunters who have to hunt because it's cheaper than meat in the grocery store (righteous killing) and people who can fly to the African continent and afford safari adventures. (A sin )
I see this often here. Rich equals evil.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: abeverage

What does Trump have to do w this thread? Nice attempt at derailment

But then again you made a ton of assumptions about who a person was and what their history was based on a pic with their hunt so....... I'm not surprised

Says more about you than that pic of them does

Trump has no more to do with this thread than does virtue signaling, but I was playing along with your troll...

I am stating that I am offended at her actions in first killing an animal that is nothing more than a prop in her photos. Then posing ridiculously with her kill gives it little merit or sport. And after reading up on her prayers being answered by a guided (see controlled hunt) I see nothing of value in this kind of hunting (if it can even be called that).

Do not take that I am no longer a hunter as meaning I no longer collect guns or love shooting them (especially my new Bersa .45!!!). Where I live I see hunting as good and often necessary activity for food past that I find it laughable she found any true excitement in the hunt...

I mean come on ManBehindTheMask do you truly honestly believe she felt the thrill of the hunt tracking this beast for days, following it through signs, keeping hidden in the bush, while the beat in her chest of fear she may not have a good meal or that it may attack, then rendering the animal being sure to harvest the best you can and packing it home for your family...

Or more aptly the jeep pulled up next to it and she pulled the trigger, then checked that her makeup on point cause WOOO Selfie time as the crew posed the pathetic animal in some sort of trying to be graceful yet grotesque pose for vanity!

HA! Seriously...where is the sport? Which ManBehindTheMask more accurately depicts the scenario? I'm curious your answer
edit on pmbAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoTue, 03 Jul 2018 14:55:51 -0500pm2America/Chicago by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

The line is as I said drawn between hunters who have to hunt because it's cheaper than meat in the grocery store (righteous killing) and people who can fly to the African continent and afford safari adventures. (A sin )
I see this often here. Rich equals evil.

I find that seems to be the case as well.... Despite all the facts to the contrary of what their knee jerk reactions claim.....

But some people see a majestic animal and automatically they start virtue signaling and screw the facts......

I'm glad people like you still have their common sense on the issue

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Personally, I see no problem with this. She paid the government, airlines, hotel/Lodge accommodation, meals, ammo, transport and probably guides and rangers, plus shipping and probably a taxidermist for her trophy. She donated the meat to local villages. She took an older male animal, rather that young breeding stock. It's a win-win for everything except that particular giraffe. She also would have some skill used in tracking the giraffe, they are very aware and bolt at the first sign of a predator. On safari I used to see giraffes all the time, you could get within a hundred yards, but as soon as you got out of the jeep, they ran.

I am not a big fan of hunting innocent animals, however sometimes the herd must be culled and people have to eat. I preferred to just take pictures when out in the bush. I was offered impala and kudu trophies and although it would require a bit of skill, nothing compares to hunting terrorists which is considerably more challenging.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

That statement was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I'm sorry if I offended you with my confusing statement.

I got off easy. And I actually believe the deer probably survived. I just caught him or her in the butt.

However, significant damage to vehicles from hitting deer is a real problem in my state. My neighbor hit a deer that caused $4000.00 worth of damage to his SUV. His daughter hit a deer that caused $1500.00 damage to her little Hyundai Veloster. And, I'm aware of at least one fatality that happened last year; but not to anyone that I know.

It's also not just a problem at night when they are most active. A couple of days ago, I nearly hit a doe crossing the road during the middle of the day.

-dex

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

It would depend greatly upon what you're hunting, I would imagine.

I can't see it working on anything much larger than a carp...

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

No, it probably didn't. Not your fault, obviously. But about anything over 25 MPH, is going to cause severe injuries for 'em.

...and injuries like that are problematic, at best.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Some I am sure wont believe me, but I actually prefer to live in a world with differing view points. If everyone thought the same imagine how boring that would be.

bout half my real life friends are solidly liberal in their political leanings, helps keep me thinking and evolving as I age.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: seeker1963

Wonder how many people who go all crazy over a human killing an animal think about the monster who killed their meat neatly packaged at the grocery store

Agreed. So long as they are killing the animal for food and not fun I have no problem with it.

What's wrong with hunting being fun? I mean aside from the camaraderie and activity. The actual killing. That is ingrained in our psyche. It's been there since we walked upright.

Yeah, some of us have evolved past blood lust... thankfully.

You mean use to other people killing your food instead of having to yourself

There's a dif

"What's on the menu, dear?"
"Oh, some rich person came along and shot a rare animal for us. Look, we have steak!"
"Bah, sounds like some sort of scam to me. I'm not hungry."

I'll kill MY OWN food, if I had to, and thank it for it's sacrifice. Not let some rich snob with an attention whore fetish, shoot a giraffe, for me, thanks.

You do bring up a good point, however. How many people would be vegans, were they to slaughter, prepare and store their own meat. I'd wager a lot. Quite a lot.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: scraedtosleep

The thrill is in the hunt and later the meal.

The honor is in the kill.

For some, the honour is the twitter post and the selfie. The animal is of no consequence.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

a reply to: oldcarpy

Meat is meat.

They can't grow food where they live, they have no super market.
What animal would you be ok with these village people hunting if not a Giraffe?

Oh, I didn't realise she was a villager. Whew, that clears it all up. I thought she was some attention whore who prides herself in taking selfies with the great animals she has just slaughtered. I had no idea she was a starving villager, so down on her luck she had to take up a weapon and go hunting for the sake of her tribe.

Well done dear lady. I tip my huge wide oversized large obnoxious bigly hat to you.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated

But a fisherman holding up his catch is ok? A deer hunter posing with a buck ok?

As a hunter myself I can say that doing this is both childish and silly. They might as well curtsy.

Yep call bs on you being a hunter or outdoorsman

Do you hunt deer year round or?

You don't buy packaged meat from a store? You hunt all of your own food, year round?

It's amazing you even have the internet, and have not fashioned a local area network out of extinct animal bones and a cockatoo. Does the pelt itch? Caves must be so hard to decorate.

"I take pride in killing animals all year round," he said, taking a bight out of his big mac.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Try living where there are moose... hit one at speed and you're looking at a total loss and likely death of anyone in the front seat.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Nah that's fine. We eat hamburgers, so therefore we must accept slaughtering every animal under the sun for any reason whatsoever, because otherwise we're told what hypocrites we are.

You're dead right, right?

Oh but then mock and laugh at people who don't eat meat for ethical reasons. Because, those hippies should never ever get a free pass.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

No, it probably didn't. Not your fault, obviously. But about anything over 25 MPH, is going to cause severe injuries for 'em.

...and injuries like that are problematic, at best.

I was on the Interstate running about 75 when it decided to start crossing the road. I locked up the brakes and steered for the shoulder. I hit it with my driver side headlight and fender, at least 50 MPH. It left a little bit of skin and some of its white tail hairs stuck in the shattered headlight; but there was no blood visible.

I was still rolling, and I didn't hear any strange noises from the car. So I kept going. I was afraid that if I stopped I might not be able to get my little hoopty going again. I was still 2 hours from home, in the middle of nowhere. Not a place where I wanted to get stranded.

As you say, it probably did significant damage to its back leg, pelvis, and spine. Now I'm starting to feel sorry for it...

-dex

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

I think oldcarpy was talking about hunting giraffe in general.

I had no idea she was a starving villager, so down on her luck she had to take up a weapon and go hunting for the sake of her tribe.

I'm sure the 1 ton of meat that she gave that village did want and need it. I am sure they thanked her for it to.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join