It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Game Hunter Kills Giraffe and Sparks Controversy

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I killed a spider and a daddy long legs by accident in my bathtub the other day , felt #ing terrible about it

It's kind of weird for me to kill any these indoor critters because I have some notion of how the food web works. So when I kill a spider, I know that there is now 1 less predator to kill other insects that I hate even more.

If they're not directly in my way, I may leave them alone completely. I watched a small spider that was living in the corner of the bathroom. Over time, I saw it struggling with an insect it caught. Then feeding on it for a while. Watched the insect turn into an empty shell. Saw it rebuild its web after it was wiped out.

When I do have to kill one, I say: "You are in violation of the treaty and hereby terminated." I assume there's a treaty somewhere in the ether that says insects and other vermin are prohibited domicile in human occupied spaces. And similarly humans take their chances when they enter the domain of the creepy-crawlies.

Having said this, I am able to launch full scale insect genocide when necessary. Without remorse. We are at the top of the food chain for a reason...

-dex

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: roadgravel
Give her her dream.

She always wanted to kill a giraffe.

Maybe she had a mobile when she was a baby. Maybe it had a giraffe on it. Maybe it fell on her.

LOL

Maybe next she can harpoon a great blue whale. A lot of people in africa dont have electricity, they can use the giant aquatic critter to light their homes.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Having looked at your video i wonder who ripped of who and i think i know the answer . Wilson has some very funny videos about Nigel .

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

I killed a spider and a daddy long legs by accident in my bathtub the other day , felt #ing terrible about it

It's kind of weird for me to kill any these indoor critters because I have some notion of how the food web works. So when I kill a spider, I know that there is now 1 less predator to kill other insects that I hate even more.

If they're not directly in my way, I may leave them alone completely. I watched a small spider that was living in the corner of the bathroom. Over time, I saw it struggling with an insect it caught. Then feeding on it for a while. Watched the insect turn into an empty shell. Saw it rebuild its web after it was wiped out.

When I do have to kill one, I say: "You are in violation of the treaty and hereby terminated." I assume there's a treaty somewhere in the ether that says insects and other vermin are prohibited domicile in human occupied spaces. And similarly humans take their chances when they enter the domain of the creepy-crawlies.

Having said this, I am able to launch full scale insect genocide when necessary. Without remorse. We are at the top of the food chain for a reason...

-dex

might want to hire a maid as well so she can get rid of cobwebs.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Great artists, like great scientists, always build on the work of their predecessors.

I'm going to check out some more of Wilson's work. He's got great timing between his native oz accent and those American hicks he mimics.

"Nigel" also sounds like a mechanism that another of my favorite comedians used. Jerry Clower told stories of the misadventures of his cousin Marcel Ledbetter. I may have to go back and check out some of his videos too.

-dex

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   

it's more that I have caused unnecessary suffering !

from the Buddhist viewpoint , its negative karma to kill any living thing

so I don't know the full mantra but I try to learn a new line every other time I say it !
Buddhists say the full mantra like 188 time or something crazy , just for each animal they accidentally kill!

especially pisses me off when I go out to paint graffiti , and I accidentally kill an insect by covering it in paint on the walls ! So i say the mantra as best I can remember.

I understand its near impossible to go through life without some accidental animal deaths
last year in summer I accidentally killed three baby blackbirds as we had a party in my dads barn and the their nest was in there and the father didnt come back to feed them as we were in there the whole weekend !

I felt bad for them but you just accept it and get over it and move on with life the cycle of life and death.
but that cycle is natural and shouldnt include killing animals for fun!
I cant fathom how fun can be derived from killing , thats psychopathic behaviour really
I understand the thrill of the hunt as ive been hunting in my teens and fishing etc
but I just dont like doing it as its not fun , unless id really need to kill to survive , but I have transitioned to being a vegetarian so Im not even eating animals anymore .
That in part has to do with my parents living on a farm and having animals , also my girl was unemployed and we just couldnt afford meat.

Just to point out to you , we are not the top of the food chain, as we are no longer in the natural food chain!
we left that a long time ago as hunter gatherers when we domesticated dogs and then discovered agriculture later

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

might want to hire a maid as well so she can get rid of cobwebs.

I'm sure a maid would not adhere to the proper conventions of the treaty and indiscriminately terminate these residents without the proper verbal pronouncements.

I'm also too cheap to pay somebody to keep the place clean.

And, I get along with anything that is non-human better than I do with people. Spiders are great listeners. And most of the time they don't talk back.

-dex

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Buddhists say the full mantra like 188 time or something crazy , just for each animal they accidentally kill!
LOL. I don't think I have enough good brain cells left to remember a full mantra. And my attention span wouldn't last long enough to say it 188 times.

I'm glad that you have that deep spiritual connection necessary to understand our place in the cosmos.

Just to point out to you , we are not the top of the food chain, as we are no longer in the natural food chain! we left that a long time ago as hunter gatherers when we domesticated dogs and then discovered agriculture later
I hadn't considered that. I'll have to think about that some.

-dex

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

hahhaah so my mate barry remembers it all I can only remember a few lines , you are meant to say it 21 times

Long mantra: OM NAMO BHAGAVATE SARVA TRAILOKYA PRATIVISHISHTAYA / BUDDHAYA TE NAMA / TA YA THA / OM BHRUM BHRUM BHRUM SHODHAYA SHODHAYA / VISHODHAYA VISHODHAYA / ASAMA SAMANTA AVABHASA SPHARANA GATI GAGANA SVABHAVA VISHUDDHE / ABHISHINCHANTU MAM / SARVA TATHAGATA SUGATA VARA VACHANA AMRITA ABHISHEKARA / MAHAMUDRA MANTRA PADAI / AHARA AHARA / MAMA AYUS SAMDHARANI / SHODHAYA SHODHAYA / VISHODHAYA VISHODHAYA / GAGANA SVABHAVA VISHUDDHE / USHNISHA VIJAYA PARISHUDDHE / SAHASRA RASMI SANCHO DITE / SARVA TATHAGATA AVALOKINI / SHAT PARAMITA PARIPURANI / SARVA TATHAGATA MATE / DASHA BHUMI PRATISHTHITE / SARVA TATHAGATA HRIDAYA / ADHISHTHANA ADHISHTHITE / MUDRE MUDRE MAHA MUDRE / VAJRA KAYA SAMHATANA PARISHUDDHE / SARVA KARMA AVARANA VISHUDDHE / PRATINI VARTAYA MAMA AYUR / VISHUDDHE SARVA TATHAGATA / SAMAYA ADHISHTHANA ADHISHTHITE / OM MUNI MUNI MAHA MUNI / VIMUNI VIMUNI MAHA VIMUNI / MATI MATI MAHA MATI / MAMATI SUMATI TATHATA / BHUTA KOTI PARISHUDDHE / VISPHUTA BUDDHE SHUDDHE / HE HE JAYA JAYA / VIJAYA VIJAYA / SMRARA SMRARA / SPHARA SPHARA / SPHARAYA SPHARAYA / SARVA BUDDHA ADHISHTHANA ADHISHTHITE / SHUDDHE SHUDDHE / BUDDHE BUDDHE / VAJRE VAJRE MAHA VAJRE / SUVAJRE VAJRA GARBHE JAYA GARBHE / VIJAYA GARBHE / VAJRA JVALA GARBHE / VAJROD BHAVE / VAJRA SAMBHAVE / VAJRE VAJRINI / VAJRAMA BHAVATU MAMA SHARIRAM / SARVA SATTVA NANCHA KAYA PARISHUDDHIR BHAVATU / ME SADA SARVA GATI PARISHUDDHISHCHA / SARVA TATHAGATASHCHA / MAM SAMASHVAS YANTU / BUDDHYA BUDDHYA / SIDDHYA SIDDHYA / BODHAYA BODHAYA / VIBODHAYA VIBODHAYA / MOCHAYA MOCHAYA / VIMOCHAYA VIMOCHAYA / SHODHAYA SHODHAYA / VISHODHAYA VISHODHAYA / SAMANTANA MOCHAYA MOCHAYA / SAMANTA RASMI PARISHUDDHE / SARVA TATHAGATA HRIDAYA / ADHISHTHANA ADHISHTHITE / MUDRE MUDRE MAHA MUDRE / MAHAMUDRA MANTRA PADAI SVAHA

Short mantra: OM BHRUM SVAHA / OM AMRITA AYUR DA DE SVAHA

edit on 5-7-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

So apparently this it what it does

The purpose of this sūtra is said to be to help sentient beings in a troubled and tumultuous world. According to this sūtra, beings will leave suffering and obtain happiness, increasing in their prosperity and longevity, remove karmic obstacles, eliminate disasters and calamities, remove enmity and hatred, fulfill all wishes, and quickly be led onto the Buddha's way.[1] It is held by some that when the dhāraṇī is heard, it can imbue the alaya consciousness with pure seeds that will help to lead one to buddhahood.

If you say this to a sentient being as they have died , normally to their recently deceased body , they will be able to move upward into a state of nirvana !
edit on 5-7-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
If you were to try and describe the ‘outrage’ felt by many people in the first world to the locals they wouldn’t understand, once you explain it they would laugh out loud and say your people are crazy.

The locals would really find this most amusing

I don't remember if it was an amazonian tribe or one in Papa New Guinea but do you guys remember when the director of Hostel was filming a new movie a few years ago and it took place in the territory of a remote tribe which has established contact with the modern world but has yet to take any steps to join it or adopt any of its practices but they were afraid they would be violent to the production crew but right from the start, couldn't have been more welcoming to them and excited to share their culture with someone?

Well anyway. When I read your comment I immediately thought of them. They were rewarded every so often with the crew projecting a movie. The first night they showed a movie being the first time anyone had ever seen such a thing but they were very amused by the fact they were seeing themselves doing past actions when their language and frame of mind doesn't even have a present past and future and even numbers are not a concept to them. There are only four words for quantities: none, one, two, and many (3+).

Anyway the crew tried showing them some kind movie classic anyone could understand. I don't know, iambi or something. But their amazement wore thin quickly. However when they watched hostel or saw or no...it was like the goriest movie ever filmed I think (and i could be remembering this so so wrong, sorry if I am in fact I probably heard it here on ATS) but they thought that it was the funniest thing ever. A bunch of torturing, scalping, flesh tearing, beheading, drawing and quartering or whatever the heck it was lol. My point being tribe like living can produce people who have no way to relate to our thoughts and feelings. I mean, imagine how our world would be if we never acknowledged or gave words to discuss past vs present which I guess would also eliminate the conditional...or violent murder were something we found funnier than anything else and so it was a major focus in The Incredibles, Frozen, Moans, and Inside Out.

My point being while we all are told to constantly think in terms of we are all the same inside with different languages and skin tone, that's not necessarily true. It is incredible just how big a gap can exist between one cultures view of the world and death and comedy and another which is so opposite we would call it criminally insane if an America, laughed and giggled as he watched someone violently torn to bits.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
How American! ... grab your gun, go to a foreign country ... and KILL.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

When you described their number system, I knew you were talking about the Yanomami. I saw a documentary about them several years ago. They are a fascinating people with quite unique views and practices.

They are somewhat violent and brutal warriors. So that may partly account for their view of the violent movies as humorous entertainment.

However, your point that different cultures can have such divergent views of the same topic is well taken. As GreenGunther points out, it would be difficult to explain to the South African locals the moral dilemma that some of us are facing in the US. I suspect the Yanomami completely lack any context to understand it.

-dex

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: purplemer

So, you'd be OK about shooting Koala bears for fun?

Not really my thing. Why do you think I want to kill small furrys..

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: chibsonguitarplayer
How American! ... grab your gun, go to a foreign country ... and KILL.
Right. Because only Americans hunt.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz5

neither are humans, would that make it ok to hunt you? '

Only if like her you hunted the black spotted miscreants. LOL

Ms. Talley was quite excited about the successful hunt

all smiles in the photo.

She'll be able to tell her progeny "what a brave thing it was to bring down a wild giraffe that was a threat to .....with nothing but a rifle."

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Wonder how many people who go all crazy over a human killing an animal think about the monster who killed their meat neatly packaged at the grocery store.

My butchers dont go around shooting at slow moving cows to package my meat.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I wonder what Giraffe tastes like. All this talk over hunting has made me hungry.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I wonder what Giraffe tastes like. All this talk over hunting has made me hungry.

Tastes like chicken...

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: seeker1963

Wonder how many people who go all crazy over a human killing an animal think about the monster who killed their meat neatly packaged at the grocery store.

My butchers dont go around shooting at slow moving cows to package my meat.

Still a hypocrite.

At least in the wild animals have a chance. Your pre-packed beef was created from a cow with every much a right to live as the giraffe.

And it never had a chance.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

No. No, they don't. Someone else walks up to them in a slaughter house and shoots 'em with a gun much like this one.

So what's the difference, again? Other than your self-righteous crap?

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join