It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Game Hunter Kills Giraffe and Sparks Controversy

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Whateva, whateva, I do what I woant!

edit on 4-7-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley
If you were to try and describe the ‘outrage’ felt by many people in the first world to the locals they wouldn’t understand, once you explain it they would laugh out loud and say your people are crazy.

The locals would really find this most amusing

edit on 4-7-2018 by GreenGunther because: Your, not you’re ... rolls eyes

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I personally cant wait to go on my Elephant hunt next year as a birthday present from my niece.

With all this outrage, ill make sure to make the picture my avatar.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
i bought one of these i highly recommend it. you might want it for your trip.

www.rockriverarms.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
Culling the herd, yeah sure ok.
Killing the bully bull that could no longer reproduce, sure ok.
Meat for the villagers, ok good.

positioning the carcass, and posing with it while grinning....Very very weird.
It just strikes me as weird.

It is wierd, to me.

The only thing I could think is she is doing this for someone else. Her father or someone raised her in this hunting culture. She wants a certain person, or certain people, to see this. Someone like a father who has similar pictures. Now she has a picture like theirs. She's proven she is just as good as a boy.

Or maybe she is just proud of her hard work, I really don't know because I am a hunter.

However, people need to go show the same outrage for the cows and chickens in slaughterhouses in America. Conditions are apparently appalling. No respect for the animal what so ever. Whatever went on here, I believe this woman had more of s spiritual connection with this animal than most have with their Big Mac.

But yeah, I don't understand this, but that's ok, I don't have to, and there are probably things about me that other people do not understand.
edit on 7/4/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

They always do a picture for safaris its part of the package. Most hunters dont pay for taxidermy services because of the difficulty and expenses involved in bringing home trophies. So they give you a picture to take home.

omatakohuntingnamibia.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

"Prayers for my once in a lifetime dream hunt came true today.

Praying for the chance to kill something. It appears that one worked.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
Give her her dream.

She always wanted to kill a giraffe.

Maybe she had a mobile when she was a baby. Maybe it had a giraffe on it. Maybe it fell on her.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

edit on 7/4/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I'm okay with the sadly needed act of killing animals for food or other resources. Actual necessity. But yeah killing for sport pisses me off.
I've hunted myself but it was never so I could have a gross trophy on the wall or floor or to make me feel like a big man.
Don't hunt anymore as I can just go down the local store and buy specifically bred to eat steaks and chops.

I think hunting for sport should be completely legal of course. But it should be required that you have the same advantage of the animal and must go 1v1 bare handed no guns bows or traps.
If you can take down a rhino, elephant, gorilla, lion or giraffe with your bare hands then you've earned that trophy and you'll have my respect.

Shooting some clueless creature from a safe distance with zero risk to yourself with a team of trackers doing most of the work for you is hardly 'sport' let alone brave or something to be proud of imho.
edit on 5-7-2018 by AtomicKangaroo because: reasons

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

You are not the arbiter of morality, so , you know theres that. You sound like someone who didnt read about all the good this killing did.

Are your little feelers hurt? Do you need someone to help you stroke your morality ego? I thought you cared about children, and the poor, dont you care this fed the children and the poor in Africa? Or is your self righteousness and perceived morality so far above all that those poor dont matter?
Everyone poopooing this are hypocrites.

They cry at one end about helping the poor and doing things to help other people, then bitch about how its done, even though it helps EVERYONE , INCLUDING the animals they are shooting.

PAH! Go find a cry closet
edit on 5-7-2018 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

I'm envious. What are you going after? Personally, I'd go for Cape Buffalo. But, I don't have a rifle I'd trust to handle a big ol' buffalo.

'course, a trip like that would be the excuse I need to buy one...maybe something like a .470 Nitro Express. Though that's way outta my price range. But then, so too, is a trip to Africa.

So, I'll have to remain envious, and play lotto more.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

You are not the arbiter of morality, so , you know theres that. You sound like someone who didnt read about all the good this killing did.

Are your little feelers hurt? Do you need someone to help you stroke your morality ego? I thought you cared about children, and the poor, dont you care this fed the children and the poor in Africa? Or is your self righteousness and perceived morality so far above all that those poor dont matter?
Everyone poopooing this are hypocrites.

They cry at one end about helping the poor and doing things to help other people, then bitch about how its done, even though it helps EVERYONE , INCLUDING the animals they are shooting.

PAH! Go find a cry closet

I did read mate, obviously you didn't read my post or you lack the ability to process simple concepts such as 'context'
Who said I was an arbiter of morality or half of the other nonsense in your post?

Certainly not me. It was all you making assumption and classifying me. All I was doing, like everyone else, was giving my opinion.
Giving my perception and take on things. Not saying I am correct and everyone else is wrong.

Funny though, but unsurprisingly you're doing to me everything you're claiming I am doing. Look at your response. Seems like more butthurt and crying than I could ever muster.

Like I said, which you'd know if you read what I actually wrote. I AM OKAY WITH HUNTING FOR FOOD ETC.

The locals getting some meat, again in MY OPINION, not facts just what I think, was not the goal here. If the locals themselves had hunted the giraffe for food etc. I wouldn't care and it would not even make the news. The goal was for some western woman to kill an animal for sport and to make her feel a thrill.
The locals getting meat was just a lucky coincidence.

If game hunting wasn't as regulated now, and was as lax as it was in the past, I'm pretty sure this chick would of gone and killed this animal for the fun of it to nobody else but her own benefit. To brag to the friends about how awesome she is for pulling a trigger.

Again making assumptions here and giving my opinion, nothing else. I've not met or spoke with the woman. All I have to go by, like you, is the posts here and linked articles.

So yeah, maybe chill the # out and pull your head out of your arse and learn how a civilized discussion works and realise it's okay for people to not think the same.

You can give your thoughts on the matter, including my opinions like anyone else no problemos, but you're just a dick when you need to add in a bunch of personal insults and be a internet bandit to make up for a lack of skill in human communication and expressing yourself.

Now you might think, "oh but you're calling me a dick and saying my heads up my arse" how hypocritical.
But nah. You threw the first stone. Don't be surprised when they get thrown back.
Do as you'd be done by and all that.

Now if you'd made your point without all the cry baby stuff and other petty childishness I'd be happily sit here and have a mature discussion or debate with you.

But you have made it clear from the get go that there is zero chance of that happening.
Maybe next time stay on topic and think before you speak. More people will show you respect and take you seriously if you do.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:34 AM
link   

I killed a spider and a daddy long legs by accident in my bathtub the other day , felt #ing terrible about it

not sure how anyone can really kill an animal this size without feeling something , maybe they just dont have that within them

who knows , I just cant bring myself to kill an animal
unless i was dying of starvation

as for the males fighting males for dominance this is quite bad actually and a cull on that one makes sense, but in this case , let nature take its course, I mean millions of years of evolution cant be argued with , maybe that bull got to 18 because he was the best of the best , and fighting younger ones because his DNA was the best and he was still passing it on, but there she was stopping that natural process because we humans think we know better !

My mums peacocks fight each other now as there is only one female and 3 males

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

agreed. I hate killing mice and even cockroaches etc. But I hate having the black plague more.
Necessary evils sometimes. I cannot spend all day catching and releasing every animal I encounter.

Every animal is the same in that regard. Protective of our personal domains and well beings.
Still I feel bad about it.

But it ends at my door. I don't see a wild mouse and think, "lol would be fun to kill it" I am not a cat. I am a human.

I don't see a spider in a tree and go "I just hate spiders, so it must die. No other reason"

I don't go swimming in the ocean, then cry because a shark decided to taste me. I was in it's home after all. (something thankfully echoed by many shark victims it's always others wanting an excuse for sport.... I mean revenge on their behalf)

Yep very much agree with you. We're messing with nature too much for nonsense reasons.
lol seriously "male giraffes fight each other so we need to shoot one for fun" just seems like a retarded excuse.

Now if that Giraffe was actively hunting people down and stomping them to death I could see why they needed putting down.

It's like here in Australia where you have people crying that bats pooing in their water tanks which could lead to disease so there fore they should be killed off.
And all I can think of is why did you build your 5 house town where bats have been living and migrating too for probably a billion years?
Yep don't move a few humans, kill and drive off thousands of bats instead.....

Then again these are the same people that rebuild in the same spots that flood, get cyclones, tornadoes etc. that trash their homes year after year.
Instead of using their brains and moving to one of the million available plots of land that won't kill them and their family. nope let's build here again and out of straw and sticks once more.

Humans boggle my mind. They really do.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
She won the P.O.S. human award for thinking shes a good hunter by killing a 18yr old giraffe. I bet she gets her rocks off by taking part in live pigeon shoots.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Uberdoubter

Can't this (rhymes with blunt) # off to Australia and hunt one of the species that it was SO smart to introduce down there? They sure aren't endangered.

But I guess rabbit stew wouldn't be good enough for her.

Sounds like a great new tourist industry for down under. Just advertise one of these as the Safari vehicle, and you would get Americans coming out of the woodwork:

You don't really have to aim too much with a minigun, just point it in the right direction. Of course there wouldn't be much left of the rabbits. So, there wouldn't be anything left to bring home other than a picture like this:

And perhaps a picture of a pile of unrecognizable fur and guts.

-dex

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ADSE255

If she hadn't bragged about it on FB and wherever, there wouldn't have been an uproar about it. It fed a lot of poor Africans. The people complaining seemed more outraged about a dying giraffe than starving children. Typical.

Apparently it took over a year after her trip before this South African news outlet picked it up and made a case of it.

-dex

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

are you really going to kill an elephant for fun ?

edit on 5-7-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: oldcarpy
So, you'd be OK about shooting Koala bears for fun?

No koala bears are apparently to easy .WARNING naughty words , but its funny .

I just laughed my ass off! This guy is funny as hell!

Reminded me of a scene from the movie Jeremiah Johnson:

The old timer runs through the cabin with a pissed off Grizzly on his tail, jumps out the window, and tell's Jeremiah Johnson: "Skin that Pilgrim, and I'll go get you another one."

-dex

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
If you were to try and describe the ‘outrage’ felt by many people in the first world to the locals they wouldn’t understand, once you explain it they would laugh out loud and say your people are crazy.

The locals would really find this most amusing

Thanks for your input as someone who actually lives in South Africa and understands the local mindset.

I wonder what right do we have to impose our sense of morality and ethics on the actual caretakers of this ecosystem. Their actions have reversed the decline of the Giraffe in South Africa. It's not like these are just state sanctioned big game poaching expeditions.

I'm convinced that these safaris are well planned in advance. The tourists are instructed what types of animals can be taken. And the entire process of handling the slaughtered animal is probably well rehearsed.
As you referenced in a previous statement:
- The economy is fed
- The people are fed

If it's necessary to appeal to the vanity (some would argue cruelty is a better term) of the tourist to achieve that goal, then helping the people is worth supporting that ideosynchronicity.

Thanks for your input. I think it helps to inform our debate when we can get the local's perspective from a familiar member of our online community.

-dex

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join