It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I left my crap in San Francisco

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Xtrozero

But only the liberal cities. Right?

Mostly.

Leftie leaning, would be most accurate.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Edumakated
Nothing can be done. This is why I said the only way to fix the problem is to basically forcibly remove them from the streets.

I've seen plenty of homeless who clearly are a small fry short of a Happy Meal. No amount of shelters, food, or any other services is going to help these people. All you can is scoop them up and put them in a looney hospital. They are completely incapable of functioning in society.

You have the same issue with the drug addicts. You literally have to just round them up in a paddy wagon and throw them in jail / rehab until the can get through withdrawal and kick the habit.

I'm really hesitant to call for rounding people up off the streets based on claims of mental illness. But, at the same time I don't think there's any fixing many of the homeless people. It's permanent damage, and given the opportunity for jobs and housing these people are never going to reintegrate into society.

Most homeless aren't violent or criminals but they're also incapable of day to day living. They don't want to be part of the system or society, and if those are their wishes I think the only ethical solution is to respect that. Aside from the means to build a compound how different is someone who decides to live off the grid and a homeless person? They've both got the same mentality and we should take that into account when trying to find a solution.

Putting them in proper hospitals could at least make them a little more comfortable, but then we have to commit as a society to funding those hospitals and the more freedom they have in a hospital, the worse an environment it's going to become, as they're incapable of looking after themselves.

I really think the only solution is to prevent homelessness in the first place and help people while they're still all there mentally.

Most people are hesitant to just round people up which is why we have the problem and it will never be solved. I don't necessarily support rounding them up either, but I see it for what it is... society has to accept that there will be a small percentage of the population that simply cannot function in a civilized society for whatever reason.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The threshold has been reached where its decent guys and gals working full time and they are still living on the streets. They tend not to show up because they don't like to be the squeaky wheel. But the logical response would be to make it legal to live in an RV but instead the law makers have made it illegal, probably because the rental market would collapse as some RV are better than flats

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
a reply to: Edumakated

The threshold has been reached where its decent guys and gals working full time and they are still living on the streets. They tend not to show up because they don't like to be the squeaky wheel. But the logical response would be to make it legal to live in an RV but instead the law makers have made it illegal, probably because the rental market would collapse as some RV are better than flats

The homeless that live in cars while holding down day jobs are invisible. When people talk about the homeless problem they're usually referring to the people on the streets that they see.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join