It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In 2004, 1,000 Alleged Abuse by Priests in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
More than 1,000 people reported to civil or church authorities in 2004 that they had been sexually abused as children by Roman Catholic priests, the second-largest number of allegations for any year on record, the U.S. bishops' conference said yesterday.

During 2004, the church spent $157 million on legal settlements and other costs related to sex abuse. It received allegations against 756 priests and deacons, half of whom had previously been named in similar accusations. It temporarily removed more than 300 clergy members and permanently defrocked 148, church officials said.

But the 2004 figures do not fundamentally alter the patterns found last year in a major study of sexual abuse in the church from 1950 to 2002. As in the past, about 80 percent of the 1,083 victims who came forward in 2004 are male, and the majority said they were between the ages of 10 and 14 when the abuse began. Most of the alleged incidents took place in the 1960s and '70s.

source:
washington.post

catholic priests are saying that it is a peacefull and tolerant religion.
nothing like that islam,
where muslim fundamentalists rape women and stone them to death.
no,
catholic priests dont stone women,
they rape young boys.

what is wrong with the world today?

[edit on 20-2-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
How dare you question the church? The church protects these holy men, so you should to. And if Father McGrady wants to bless you all over your face, it isn't wrong, they can't have sex with women.

Wait, I not a sheep, I don't think it is right to rape little boys. It is because they are the Catholic church, they are members of the vatican, a country. You mess with them they use diplomatic immunity and can't touch them. That the only reason i can think of for not having them in jail.(It is estimated over 25,000+ altogether, about 4%, for priests raping little boys)

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
That the only reason i can think of for not having them in jail.(It is estimated over 25,000+ altogether, about 4%, for priests raping little boys)

but it wont happen.
i dont think any of these so called "priests" will see any jail time.
they will probably be expelled from church,
and thats it.

if any priests would touch my child,
there would be only one thing to do with him,
and i dont care if i go to jail myself for that.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
You wouldn't go to jail, emotional distress would get you out.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
2 priests were put in jail as i recall, one was strangled to death while serving jail time.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Ok, 2 down, 25,000 to go.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Fundamental Flaws

I'm hopeful that by now there isn't anyone left trying to claim that there isn't a problem with sexual abuse in the Catholic priesthood.

And indeed, it seems we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg, because it is inconceivable that a problem this extensive is limited only to the United States.

To date, the response of the Catholic Church has been a disgraceful mixture of dishonesty and complicity with these abhorrent crimes.

It resembles nothing more than criminals closing ranks to protect their fellow criminals, and that is perhaps the most disturbing thing of all.

This wickedness is now enshrined in the institution itself. No quantity of lies or deceit will change that.

Real repentance and real changes are required if this stain is ever to be cleansed from the image of the Church.

What are Catholics really going to do about this problem?

My Recommendation

My opinion is that the "celibacy" policy for priests leads directly to this sort of sexual deviancy and criminality.

We see it in our prisons, and we see it in now in the churches -- and there is every indication that this is nothing either new nor isolated.

The so-called "celibacy" requirement is, in my opinion, at the root of this evil. It is an affront to the Catholics' own doctrine sanctifying marriage as being between a man and a woman, just like Jesus said it was.

If Catholics truly love God and detest evil, then they will demand that evil be driven from the priesthood, and take all necessary steps to see this done.

Anything less would itself be an evil.

Yet the evil continues.

Woe unto the Catholic Church and its people until this ends, and ends justly.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Thats America for ya. Ruining religion

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Only In America

Originally posted by Croat56
Thats America for ya. Ruining religion

Is there anything you can present to us to show that this problem is limited to the United States?

I'm very curious to see if you are truly suggesting that this is only an "American" problem.

I recommend against skating on the thin ice of bigotry, and look forward to seeing if there is any substance behind your claim.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Oh surely somebody remembers the Austrian priests in the pedophilia scandal not to long ago. Apparently, they were having group orgies with the youngsters and they didnt forget to photograph all of it. So its not only in the USA. Its just that the media is powerfull enough there to expose such crimes more.

Blarrgh, religions make me sick

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Yes they make me sick also. Where's the big boss man that all believe in when these priests are molesting children? These priests are supposed to work for him and yet they do these things. Maybe they know the truth.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
All men are sinners.

Priests are men first.

The Church used to allow marriage up till the 15th century or somewhere close.

The Catholic Church is the Largest church in the United States.
I believe the churches decision to not let them marry was the part of the problem. They are men who need love and caring too, and the lack of touch and physical bonding in their lives is the thing that I believe is part of the cause of these events.

I feel awfull for the children, and the Church should look closely at this issue. It does not right the wrongs, but we should learn by the mistakes and make adjustments. The Church has also done many good things.

I know there are many studys done on " Skin Hunger " and situations where people dont come in contact with other individuals. I hope someone high up in the church is reading this as its pretty simple math that the root of this problem was in the denial of these men towards being whole individuals.

Peace

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Some RCC edicts were:

325ACE-for clergy, penance is authorised and so is punishment for transgressions. Such as no communion. Not being permitted to pray.

So they are too punished, especially when:

in 381ACE- Bishops may not be charged with ecclesiastic misconduct until the accuser’s character is examined.

So expect a sudden elevation to bishop of these priests and the boys to cleric:.

in 451ACE- Clerics must obey their bishop & The church introduces its attorney. & Canons are now termed as divine.

and since the first two are canons, the declaration of divinity in the 3rd canon means that God cannot be charged or tried, and if any heretic dares to he has a divine attorney, further endorsed by:

the gift of divine grace, was sufficient for a perfect understanding and establishment of religion.

So that there is no misunterstanding about the establishment of what religion, they later introduced:

681ACE- No other faith may be created.

and ithis faith takes its truths from:

the decree that the Holy catholic church really follows Paul, the herald of the truth; the apostolic group and all church fathers previous.

and extols its place beside God by further declaring:

The church is the daughter of Zion.

So, obviously these divine priests being from the divine and one and only faith cannot possibly err or sin.
(sarcastic note stressed)

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Let us not confuse the laws of man with the reality of being man.

and conversely,

The Church has created laws for Gods representitives, that were not of Gods making.

The only law of the Land is Love on another. The rest of the laws are laws of man. If man but loves and respects, the rest of the laws will fall into place.

Peace

[edit on 21-2-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
You want to know what is so bad is that the church has so greatly deminished its rep. that even newer clergy wont associate with the church they where ordained in they get ordained go to the state get licensed and become self reliant either evangelical of by guest speaking , I myself was ordained and didnt become a continued member of the church because of the sudden rise of conspiracies in religous orgs . I didnt want to be associated as a Chaplain and DR, of studies with the church as I whole heartedlty wanted these pedifiles and rapists head on a stick , I am not going to be remotely associated with any religous belief structure because of that fact I do things Gods way and deal with him , no church , no clergy peers in fact I am thought of as a loose cannon because I refuse ties to the church , yet I have not been stripped of my rights, because unless I violate Gods law there is no bases for action. Jesus wasnt part of a church he was the living word of God , so why should I have to be part of the church.

top topics

join