It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Books markedly void of Inspired Women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
How many of the Books in the Bible have been allowed that were inspirational writings by women? Im going to guess, and even if Im wrong, Ill still say its way to low. None. A marked absence of female presence in writings. Im not talking about them. Im talking by them.

Looks like some filtration went on somehwere. Can someone inform me if there are untranslated or otherwise that were created by women that we are not aware of?

The mere absense of women writers in the Bible should stand testimony that man has sculpted this book in the Glory of man. Although women are mentioned, cultural reasons or otherwise have removed and made their inspirations a mute point. I find it hard to believe that the bible is all about men and that the Lord didnt equally inspire women. It just doesnt add up. Lets air this out. Im not well read in the Bible. Maybe its in the book of Jill or Susan somewhere.

Before the fire starts, Im not saying that is not a usefull text. But can we say its a perfect document with obvious ommisions of the womans input in history?

Peace

[edit on 20-2-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I don't know for sure, but I am going to throw out there that women typically in those days were considered to be subservient. I don't even think they were allowed to be educated. Certainly, they had no authority in matters like the bible. There are more than a few references to women being submissive.

If there are writings by women, they are few and far between. I am not being sexist by the way, that is the way it was.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
One of the History Channel's series, "Mysteries of the Bible," say that there is one book of the Bible named after a woman, and it is the book of Esther. It's in the Old Testament, between Nehemiah and Job.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
ruth, ezra and esther are books of the bible, also song of songs is about women.

[edit on 20-2-2005 by namehere]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
there is at least one in the gnostic gospels or at least a fragment of one
the Gospel of Mary. There are also some that believe the gospel of John
was originally written by Mary M.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
ruth, ezra and esther are books of the bible, also song of songs is about women.

Song of Songs is about women, but it isn't written by one, is it?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Judging by a proponderence of the evidence, it appears that there are indeed not many. Women have been excluded for the most part.

Therefore,

It should not distract from many of the lessons to be learned, but let it be just that.

A Book of lessons. A rough tail of history with some flare, a NOT, a factual guide book to whats going to happen. Live your life as caring person, dont meddle in other peoples lives causing uneccesary pain or injury, and Love. Pretty Simple

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mj13

Song of Songs is about women, but it isn't written by one, is it?

yea it is

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
As stalkingwolf said there is great deal of evidence that perhaps the most important part of the New Testament was written by a women. It is also logical to assume that many women had contributed to bible trough their husbands. History has shown that women in act change despite the fact the do not have direct power. There have been cases were women use the help of there husbands as a kind of pseudonym, because they being women could not get any real attention.

There may be more women writers then we know in the bible.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
To say women dont have any power or say in the Bible is really silly. Just becasue they were never prominate does not mean they had any say and were mearly well off slaves.

Pontius Pilates wife almost convinced her husband to free Jesus Christ
There are many other prominate women who played a major role in biblical history.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I said inspired books. Read the post. Women played important rolls, but Im talking about the writings themselves.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I have to agree with HIFIGUY that there's a strong gender bias in the Bible. There are only to books named after women: Ruth and Esther. The rest is all men.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
"Let the Torah be Burned, but let it not be taught to a women!!!"

this is an actual quote from a Rabbi from history...and well, should say it all.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well after denigrating the women in the first book of the "creation" and putting the blame of sin to her.

It is obvious that the bible could not bring itself to praised women or to dedicate books on her.

but then Alas, in the second testament things got reversed and the Mary tale came about.

Really interesting is that it could no be just any women but a "virgin never touched by men and the mother of god incarnated and the Saviour"

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, Hypatia scared the crap out of men, and the church reacted.

I would be very interested to see what spiritual writings were before her death, and what they were like 50 years after.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
My personal opinion is that fear played a large part in the removal of women from religion. Women in history in ancient times were in fact revered, but I am sure sisters world wide know that already and any male that does not cannot surely just believe what a patriarchal system has taught him. We were saught after in all aspect of life including religion, polotics medicine and birth rites. I am not sure what they are afraid of unless it's a pride thing. Things are slowely nay very slowly beginning to change and we can now see more women in the political arena and in the medical world, and as roles reverse on the home front and both sexes share the domestic issues I hope that fear will be replaced with understanding and respect. But never think that we have'nt got females in religion Mary Magdalen wrote her own gospel and was the first women to see jesus resurected and the dead sea schrolls summize she was so close to jesus that he would kiss her on the mouth. Women even if they were prophets or witches have always been where they should be watchin and giving to humanity, as lifegivers we continue hopefully to nurture in new generations that we are all the same and none is greater than the other, perhaps the people in power are afraid of just that it humbles a person to see how very small they are in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
They're there, in between the lines. Like the Witch of Endor, or Deborah the Prophetess. Even Mary and Elizabeth communicated to each other in songs (Magnificat).

new topics

top topics

join