It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Da Vinci Code goes on trial without a defence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
'Da Vinci Code' mock trial of experts held to debunk myths, claims

ROME (AP) — Art experts and conservative clerics are holding an unusual "trial" in Leonardo da Vinci's hometown aimed at sorting out fact from fiction in the "The Da Vinci Code" after many readers took the smash hit novel as gospel truth.

The event in Vinci, just outside of Florence, began Friday with an opening statement by Alessandro Vezzosi, director of a Leonardo museum. He said he will produce photographs and documents as evidence of the mistakes and historical inaccuracies contained in Dan Brown's best seller.

Vezzosi said he will produce evidence through 120 photographs based on documents and paintings with the aim of "reassessing and disclaiming the author" of the mystical thriller, a mix of code-breaking, art history, secret societies, religion and lore.

sources:
mail&guardian.online
usa.today
breaking.news

why are they trying to "prove" that the author was wrong,
since he has written a novel, a work of fiction.
or did he?
what are they so scared of, that they have to prove to the world, that "da vinci code" is not right?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think you'll find they aren't trying to proove the author wrong, as the author has made it known right from the beginning their novel is a work of fiction. They're probably more trying to proove once and for all to gullible people that take the book as fact that it is in fact, all bunk and nothing more than a bit of entertainment

Da Vinco Code, Bible, code, hidden messages in Moby Dick..it's all sheer coincidence & a matter of probability. Some people are just trying way too hard to find the unbelievable in mundane things.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Leonardo Da Vinci was never party to anything vaguely occult. His paintings held absolutely no hidden messages. Actually he more than likely never existed and is a myth constructed by conspiracy theorists.

Also, there never was a time when the Goddesses held sway...Astarte, Isis and all those marvellous theologies Dan Brown discusses in his book are all just fiction. Plain story telling with no historical background.

Nothing to see here...move along, move along...

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
or did he?
what are they so scared of, that they have to prove to the world, that "da vinci code" is not right?

I see what you’re saying bro, it’s funny. Trying to prove a fictional book is fiction. Who knows what they are trying to prove. I think that Dan Brown is such a great author that his books are very convincing despite being fiction.

Originally posted by masqua
Actually he more than likely never existed and is a myth constructed by conspiracy theorists.

I guess everyone is entiltled to there own opinion but De Vinci was a master painter… among other things. Sure, hey may have not worked entirely on his paintings from start to finish but that’s the way it was back then. It’s still like that today with some artists. Apprentices or students of the academy would often work on there masters paintings.

What has led you to consider that?

[edit on 20-2-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Both statements, Event horizon, are aimed at provoking a response. I am an artist, even studied art in (gasp) a school and would actually like to hear someone defend Leonardo Da Vinci, the Master Painter, as well as the fact that he DID inject something into his work which bears study. He was no tool of the Church in Rome...that's for certain.

As well, like you, I have actually read the book and enjoyed it immensely...not so much for the silly adventure story, but more for the scenery with which the book is replete. Like Leonardos' art, Brown has placed information within his fiction which could have explosive repercussions, don't you think?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Like Leonardos' art, Brown has placed information within his fiction which could have explosive repercussions, don't you think?

Yes, definitely. Maybe we are begining to see those repercussions as more and more people read this book. Souljah's post, 'Da Vinci Code' mock trial of experts... being a good example.

My guess is that, since more and more people are reading this book maybe people are on edge. Even though the book is fiction some might be questioning there beliefs?!? I wonder if the vatican had any official statement regarding this book?

[edit on 20-2-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Essentially, the orthodox "authorities" are continuing their losing battle against discovery, exploration and independent thought. The threat posed by the Da Vinci Code isn't that it is factual, but that it makes people think. It causes them to explore further, to read the Hancock books, for example, or the Holy Blood series, and others. Think what you want about the validity of these books, the point is that they do tear the mask of the orthodox religions and authorized histories that are used to reinforce the "accepted" and approved way of thinking. Why, if people are allowed to think for themselves, why should they obey the Pope (and his peers)?

This losing battle has been going on for centuries, from Galileo to the Scopes Monkey Trial and on to the present.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This will do nothing but increase Dan Brown's income, he will make even more money from this. More people will end up buying the book due to all the media that surrounds in.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
first,
why would you want to prove that a work of fiction is fiction?
thats like trying to prove that the story of lord of the rings triology never happened, and that trolls and elves dont live in the woods.

second,
i understand that the popularity of the book has increased the number of people, who now belive that the church has deliberatly hidden the real story of jesus christ and his "wife" mary. it sounds good doesnt it? that the holy grail is not a cup, but a blood line of people with the blood of jesus christ. maybe the mission of vatican is to prevent more people to belive that.
but so what if they belive that?
are they going to harm anybody?

third,
the secrets behind the master painter leonardo da vinci is very vague and i belive that there is much more to him, than meets the eye. mister dan brown gave a perfect example of this mystery behind him. what master da vinci really was i guess we will never know.

fourth,
i belive that the vatican is hiding some far more greater secrets in its underground vaults...

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The author, who wrote a book of fiction, started his book stating that the story takes place in the context of factual events, places, organizations and rituals.

He also said on PrimeTime,

I began as a skeptic. As I started researching The Da Vinci Code I really thought I would disprove a lot of this theory about Mary Magdalene and holy blood and all of that. I became a believer.

Dan Brown wishes the public to take his work of fiction as fact, and is doing everything he can to make it so. This is why there is such a concerted effort to disprove him. I haven't seen you saying anything about the huge following who are trying to prove his book to be true, though. Could this be...bias?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Dan Brown wishes the public to take his work of fiction as fact, and is doing everything he can to make it so. This is why there is such a concerted effort to disprove him. I haven't seen you saying anything about the huge following who are trying to prove his book to be true, though. Could this be...bias?

Ok,
i would need some far more serious facts than this book to convince me.
when i was reading it, i had to open a book of art history and watch the painting "last supper" by da vinci, and it really looks like the author was describing in the book! kind of scary.

lets say that was he has discovered is NOT fiction, but a real history. and the people that are trying to prove that, are really doing us alot of good! waking us up from the centuries of blindness. that is good!
if they are wrong, they will just prove their own mistakes anyway.
so why bother proving them wrong?

it is as if the vatican feel "guilty" for something...

[edit on 21-2-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If he stumbled onto the truth, it was purely coincidence (and I don't believe he did). Dan Brown is one of those Newdow Christ haters, and activly has worked to discredit Christianity any way he can. You say you'd need more information before believing what he said, but all it took was looking at the Last Supper. There's a lot of information out there.

Also, it hasn't really been the Vatican that has been outspoken about Breaking the DaVinci Code, but rather evangelicals. They're the ones who think Catholocism has some major flaws in its doctrine, so I doubt they'd be defending the vatican. They're defending the Faith.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Because many people treat it as a historiclal document.

or did he?

See?

So for defending themselves against slander and abuse they are somehow reinforcing that slander and abuse?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me. The lengths that people will go to, to debunk a NOVEL. If your spiritual beliefs are so loosely held that a speculative novel can shake them - you need to reassess your convictions.

The other thing that amuses me about this is that so many of the people that are damning the book HAVENT READ IT! This is common of course. Salman Rushdie's "Satanic Verses" sent many islamic people over the edge and almost none of them had read it.

At least Dan Brown doesnt have a contract out on his head yet. Let's hope the nutty-Christians have more restraint than the nutty-muslims did that issued a fatwa on Rushdie....

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Black Flag
At least Dan Brown doesnt have a contract out on his head yet. Let's hope the nutty-Christians have more restraint than the nutty-muslims did that issued a fatwa on Rushdie....

Sounds like you have a problem with religion

When a novel is being supported as fact, though it came out of Brown's own head, there is a problem. This often happens with cult classics, such as Anne Rice's vampire novels (I was one of those folks who believed her novels to be the truth hidden behind the "fiction" label.) Dan Brown, however, started this controversy himself, with some of his statements. Have you read any of his other books? He does not like Christianity. Like the Jesus Seminars, he has a goal to "create the new fiction for modern times". How very noble, especially for us who believe in God as more than something used to control. Dan Brown is making a concerted effort to make people question and lose their faith. Woe unto him when he passes, but until then those of us who know better have to counteract his malicious attempts.

Even if you believe religion is a crutch for the weak willed, what gives you the right to take it? Would you steal someone's wheelchair?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The other thing that amuses me about this is that so many of the people that are damning the book HAVENT READ IT

kind of like the continuing tirades of the fundies against Harry Potter. As
much as I enjoyed reading TDVC , Angels and Demons was IMO better and faster paced.

the fact that the church/s is holding a trial where the accused has no defence
should not come as a surprise. That is the SOP for church " Trials". another
SOP for church trials is the premis of " guilty until proven innocent."
It should be remembered that one of the "tests" prescribed for being a witch
was , " when possible, the accused should be taken to a large body of water,
a large stone afixed to their neck and then thrown into the water. If they
float they are a witch and their family is killed as well as the accused. If
they sink and drown they are innocent of the charges." they are still dead
but their family is free to go.

[edit on 21-2-2005 by stalkingwolf]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf

The other thing that amuses me about this is that so many of the people that are damning the book HAVENT READ IT

kind of like the continuing tirades of the fundies against Harry Potter.

And like people damning the Bible as being false. Interesting that we all agree on this point

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Whats this, unbelievable. A fictional book being taken out of context and believed as absolute truth!? jeez, doesnt this seem a tad bit familiar. I seem to remember this book written in 15 C.E....

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

And like people damning the Bible as being false.

NO, most of those that question the validity of the buybull have read it, some several times. again unlike the buybull , at least with Harry Potter and TDVC
you know who the author is and who they are referencing.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf
" when possible, the accused should be taken to a large body of water,
a large stone afixed to their neck and then thrown into the water. If they
float they are a witch and their family is killed as well as the accused. If
they sink and drown they are innocent of the charges." they are still dead
but their family is free to go.

i like this interrogation technique.
really effective in any way.
"the witch" has a loose-loose situation.
but most of the time their families are free to go.
nice.
gotta love the church history.

[edit on 21-2-2005 by Souljah]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join