It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest U.S. business group attacks Trump on tariffs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Ah, I see--so they're actively and openly engaging in political extortion.

Neat.

As an aside, any thinking person can see that this is (hopefully) a temporary pain that will end in a bigger and better end result with international trade. Of course, at this point, the variables are unpredictable, but I'm more interested in waiting to see what happens. Just like with North Korea (which is still a wait-and-see game, IMO), what looked like flippant and uncalculated moves by Trump have, so far, ended in good progress.

I get the concerns by the CoC (their initials, not mine) on how it absolutely will be a bigger cost to the consumer that will be passed down by businesses, making them look bad to ignorant consumers who don't know why, but like I said, it's a little early in the game to play political extortion concerning this issue.

ETA: Also, this is a positive for industries such as steel and aluminum in the U.S., so it's not all bad.

edit on 2-7-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

originally posted by: loam

Why should anyone care what Tom Donohue thinks?

No one is doing Indian burns on your wrist, you should pay attention to whatever you want to. Some watch Housewives of Whatever and others golf; but for those concerned about our country this is a big deal.

The Chamber of Commerce is the largest and the oldest trade association in our country. They have supported our President until their announcement today. And Tom Donohue is the CEO of this 3 million member business organization. Their members alone make up almost 1% of our country.

You should look into what % is the eligible voting population to make this a more astonishing fact. I would but travel who0ped me today.

I personally dont agree with Tom Donohue in this case. He does not get to dictate foreign trade policy as CEO of Chamber of Commerce. If he wanted to be part of these decisions maybe he should have joined that board Trump put together immediately after getting elected.
edit on 2-7-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The Chamber of Commerce is the largest and the oldest trade association in our country. They have supported our President until their announcement today.

Well, we all know how things work. I bet that this announcement has been a long time in the making--their support probably waned long ago.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

That was my point in my comment where I said that they're openly engaging in political extortion now--they have basically told Trump that he will either do what they think is best, or they will actively engage in the election of a different president.

While I believe that all lobbyist act unethically, this is approaching new lows.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Ah, I see--so they're actively and openly engaging in political extortion.

Neat.

Is that how you see that? So until now, since they've supported Trump, it was extortion of his opposition? And that was OK, but now it's not OK?

What it really means is that they are withdrawing support they've provided so far and changing lanes.

I would think Trump losing support of vast numbers of small businesses would be concerning. I guess nothing really matters as long as the rose colored shades are on.

This is just an announcement from them, let's see what happens when the data starts getting released. This is one powerful group that intends to use facts and numbers given by our own government, against the President, and their pockets are deep.

Everyone is right, it should be ignored.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

No one is doing Indian burns on your wrist, you should pay attention to whatever you want to. Some watch Housewives of Whatever and others golf; but for those concerned about our country this is a big deal.

The Chamber of Commerce is the largest and the oldest trade association in our country. They have supported our President until their announcement today. And Tom Donohue is the CEO of this 3 million member business organization. Their members alone make up almost 1% of our country.

You should look into what % is the eligible voting population to make this a more astonishing fact. I would but travel who0ped me today.

I personally dont agree with Tom Donohue in this case. He does not get to dictate foreign trade policy as CEO of Chamber of Commerce. If he wanted to be part of these decisions maybe he should have joined that board Trump put together immediately after getting elected.

Perhaps he's resonating what his millions of small business owners are saying. Or maybe it's solely his decision. I did not get that from the article but it would be interesting to see.

If I were to guess, I would say general member discontent prompted his action. We'll see.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Giant globalist corporations are complaining.

Trump must be doing something right. Something for the people.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

Giant globalist corporations are complaining.

Trump must be doing something right. Something for the people.

No, you're right. All American companies are globalists. And especially those that make up the 3,000,000 members of this organization.

You're absolutely right, forget I said anything guys, let's just ignore this. It's a nothing burger.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

. If he wanted to be part of these decisions maybe he should have joined that board Trump put together immediately after getting elected.

Didn't people resign from that board in protest of Trump's travel ban which has turned out to be constitutionally correct by the Supreme Court

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

It's not a nothing burger. It's called putting the middle class first. But I don't expect you to understand the economics because they don't teach that on the MSM.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The Chamber of Commerce is the largest and the oldest trade association in our country....And Tom Donohue is the CEO of this 3 million member business organization.

The Chamber’s Numbers Game

In testimony before Congress, statements to the press, and on its website, the Chamber claims to represent “3 million businesses of all sizes, sectors, and regions.” In reality, the number is probably closer to 200,000.

In February 1997, the Chamber’s membership figure mysteriously jumped from 200,000 to 3 million, where it has remained ever since. The first use of the bigger number came less than two weeks before Chamber president Richard Lesher retired, soon to be succeeded by current president Tom Donohue. In congressional testimony and a press release, the Chamber suddenly described itself as representing “an underlying membership of more than three million businesses and organizations of every size, sector, and region.”

The term “underlying membership” was meant to convey, subtly, that most Chamber “members” were at best loosely affiliated with the group.

Funny how nearly a decade later, the number is still 3 million.

They have supported our President until their announcement today. And Tom Donohue is the CEO of this 3 million member business organization. Their members alone make up almost 1% of our country.

Tom Donahue is a globalists' wet-dream. And no, he did not support the President until this day. Do I really need to drag up all of the unfavorable things he has said about Trump?

edit on 2-7-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Trump breath's air

he's obviously incompetent and corrupt

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

It's not a nothing burger. It's called putting the middle class first. But I don't expect you to understand the economics because they don't teach that on the MSM.

I'm looking forward to seeing your own statistics that will show how the middle class is benefiting from the tariffs. There will be plenty to show otherwise.

Let's stay on top of that. They'll be using the statistics from the Department of Commerce and directly from the four governments we trade with. Who are you using as the source of metrics?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Is that how you see that? So until now, since they've supported Trump, it was extortion of his opposition? And that was OK, but now it's not OK?

What it really means is that they are withdrawing support they've provided so far and changing lanes.

I would think Trump losing support of vast numbers of small businesses would be concerning. I guess nothing really matters as long as the rose colored shades are on.

Well, you are making a massive assumption that I'm okay with the heavy-handed lobbying in any capacity, and that's starting off your rebuttal on a pretty terrible foundation.

Also, he's not "losing the support of vast numbers of small businesses," he's losing support by an organization to which many of them pay dues to be a member--it's basically a union for individual businesses. He's losing support of the union, not the individual members, per se.

I despise union tactics, because, as I've already noted, they often amount to extortion because they have the money and power to do it, and no one bats an eye. I find that behavior repulsive.

This is just an announcement from them, let's see what happens when the data starts getting released. This is one powerful group that intends to use facts and numbers given by our own government, against the President, and their pockets are deep.

Right--extortion. Deep pockets, powerful group, threatening to give their money and support to someone else if [insert action here] doesn't happen, or because of [insert action here] happened that they didn't like.

I mean, my day job IS dealing with the judicial system, and I have a pretty good grasp on the meaning of "extortion."

Everyone is right, it should be ignored.

Well, I didn't say that, so I hope that you're not including me in "everyone" (although, by definition, you are).
edit on 2-7-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: FyreByrd

What I'm saying if x nation has a list of tariffs on US that we dont them, and then we go do tariffs to nudge them to remove theirs... well hasnt that been a motivating factor / rationale for many / most of these new Trump Tariffs??

That's been my impression, and whatever is takes to make them remove one sided tariffs that have been business as usual then that I support.

Well saying "has a list of tariffs on US that we dont **want** (I assume) them" is accurate only in the very simplest manner. If Mr. Trump's individual (or managed) WANT speaks for you, that is great. For me, for a lot of others, for many businesses, #45's seemingly random and unconsidered tariff decisions is unwise at best and 'going to bring on a depression' damaging at worst.

An example, one that is pushing the business community to the mat is Steel. New tarriffs on foreign steel of 25%.

This 25% is passed on down the business hierarchy to the small business and all business pass this on to the end consumers - you and me.

The idea that Steel production will raise in the US to meet US demand is deceptive. It will take decades to reach the level of production, will steel prices go down when production reaches need - doubtful at a consumer level. What about all the environmental costs involved? Do we have the necessary components to create steel in the US to meet need - or will we have to buy from foreign sources? Will the steel created be for domestic use only? Or used as a 'cash crop' and our industries will still be rationed?

I think the most important considerations immediately is the huge rise in an already depressed economy for working people - just think about the everyday products you use that include some degree of steel - multiply that by the percentage included x 25% and add that to the end user cost and answer - can you afford it? Especially considering wage stagnation....

It's not simple. And Mr. Trump is doing the country a huge disservice by saying or implying it is. It's a remarkably self-centered and ignorant person. Or perhaps - it's the puppet masters pullings his strings desire to 'thin the herd' of 'non-people' (meaning not billionaires) is the agenda.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

The Chamber of Commerce is the largest and the oldest trade association in our country....And Tom Donohue is the CEO of this 3 million member business organization.

The Chamber’s Numbers Game

In testimony before Congress, statements to the press, and on its website, the Chamber claims to represent “3 million businesses of all sizes, sectors, and regions.” In reality, the number is probably closer to 200,000.

In February 1997, the Chamber’s membership figure mysteriously jumped from 200,000 to 3 million, where it has remained ever since. The first use of the bigger number came less than two weeks before Chamber president Richard Lesher retired, soon to be succeeded by current president Tom Donohue. In congressional testimony and a press release, the Chamber suddenly described itself as representing “an underlying membership of more than three million businesses and organizations of every size, sector, and region.”

The term “underlying membership” was meant to convey, subtly, that most Chamber “members” were at best loosely affiliated with the group.

Funny how nearly a decade later, the number is still 3 million.

They have supported our President until their announcement today. And Tom Donohue is the CEO of this 3 million member business organization. Their members alone make up almost 1% of our country.

Tom Donahue is a globalists' wet-dream. And no, he did not support the President until this day. Do I really need to drag up all of the unfavorable things he has said about Trump?

I honestly don't know who to go with as far as membership goes -- Chamber of Commerce or Mother Jones? But let's assume MJ is correct and the numbers are inflated.

Does that change the fact at all that they are the largest business group in the USA. They are also the largest lobbying business group, and as much as we don't like lobbyists, they have a lot of power.

Does it change the fact that until today, their support was enjoyed without any issues? All of a sudden they are the devil. And that's not with just them. Every company, every supporter, every news network, every friend that speaks out against Trump becomes the devil. They're not all at fault.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'll research their numbers a bit more when I have time. I did not anticipate their numbers would be an issue in this topic, but I guess anything can be if it goes against the current.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

So with everything you just described, how is it ok that yesterday they were in his pockets? Was that not ok, but nobody cared and now they do?

Explain it to me please; why did Chamber of Commerce become bad today but their support was welcome yesterday?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

We have a global trade deficit of 830 billion dollars. That is bad for the middle class.

We may have some bumps in the road but spending 800 billion dollars on American made goods and not foreign based goods has a long term positive effect on the middle class. If that doesn't make sense to you I can't help you.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

We have a global trade deficit of 830 billion dollars. That is bad for the middle class.

We may have some bumps in the road but spending 800 billion dollars on American made goods and not foreign based goods has a long term positive effect on the middle class. If that doesn't make sense to you I can't help you.

Alright, let's hang onto that one and when I re-post the first set of statistics that they release, we'll compare yours to theirs. And you'll have a source?

Looking forward to it. Thanks for reading.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Trump fart at the dinner table yesterday

#notmypresident

<< 1    3 >>

join