It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest U.S. business group attacks Trump on tariffs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

“The administration is threatening to undermine the economic progress it worked so hard to achieve,” said Chamber President Tom Donohue in a statement to Reuters. “We should seek free and fair trade, but this is just not the way to do it.”

US Chamber of Commerce is our nation's largest business lobbying group and the President has enjoyed their support until now. They launched a campaign against the White House today, in which they plan to outline the costs of the tariff wars as they will translate to the wallets of the everyday American, adding billions in cost that will ultimately be paid by us. They also plan on spending millions of dollars on the mid-term elections to find more like-minded politicians, who as they said will back free trade and immigration.

The White House has not responded yet to this news and has not put out any statements yet, but we can expect a heavy backlash from the President and a possible Twitter War for a few days.

The Chamber, which has 3 million members, historically has worked closely with Republican presidents and had praised Trump for signing corporate tax cuts in December. But mounting trade tensions have opened a rift with the president.

The Chamber based its state-by-state analysis on data from the U.S. Department of Commerce and government agencies in China, the EU, Mexico, and Canada.

I am sure that many will brush this off and say -- lobbyists, who needs them? Well, the President apparently. He is where he is because of lobbyists and his policies so far have shown a heavy involvement from lobbying groups, especially in the banking and business sectors. The President said during the campaign that he would move Washington away from lobbying, although he never disclosed a plan of how that was going to happen. Losing support from the biggest groups will not hinder them in any way, but it may hinder his chances of staying in office.

Reuters

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Were any of the nation specific tariffs unwarranted? Because some of the numbers opposing US product importation sure screamed that they were.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Money talks.

Let's see which candidates get that money in this upcoming election.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Why should anyone care what Tom Donohue thinks?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It would appear most if not all of them are unwarranted, if we are to base it off of Department of Commerce and various business giants that are moving productions elsewhere. I think the President will stay this course, and will try to bully his way through, as is his MO, but this is a much larger playground now -- he is not surrounded by yes men any more, he is playing in the big league and he's not the only one who understands bullying.

My concern is that his ego will not let him back off until we're all hurting. But if all this should continue and he keeps going against what the country wants, it will only prevent him from doing it longer than his first term.

The campaign was announced today, I expect we will start seeing solid numbers, state by state, some time this week. There will probably be numerous threads on it from now on, dissecting the costs to the American worker and consumer.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
So they dont want the easy money gravy trains to continue

Not surprised boats need to be rocked right now Trump warned everyone already.

Next anti Trump thread in 3..2....1...

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

No one is doing Indian burns on your wrist, you should pay attention to whatever you want to. Some watch Housewives of Whatever and others golf; but for those concerned about our country this is a big deal.

The Chamber of Commerce is the largest and the oldest trade association in our country. They have supported our President until their announcement today. And Tom Donohue is the CEO of this 3 million member business organization. Their members alone make up almost 1% of our country.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

The end is nigh!

Easy way to end the trade war is for other nations to stop taxing US goods so much.

Talk to them instead of begging Trump to cave in.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The end is nigh!

Easy way to end the trade war is for other nations to stop taxing US goods so much.

I'm an American, it would be illegal for me to go above my government and discuss our policy with foreign governments, as we've all found out over the last couple of years.

I think we should focus on talking to our own government and making sure we keep our country afloat, or we all suffer collectively.

edit on 2-7-2018 by Kharron because: typo

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Were any of the nation specific tariffs unwarranted? Because some of the numbers opposing US product importation sure screamed that they were.

Personally, the 'nation specific tariffs' seem rather arbitrary. I'm certain there is a correlation to something #45 finds personally important (perhaps payback or punishment) but I am certain that the 'trade war' was not started in order to help either US citizens or US business.

Raising US Revenues by Tariffs is a good way to increase revenue but only after careful deliberation. I see no careful review, any consideration of consequences seen and unseen.

I see this as the most egregious lack of care by this administration of idiots and sycophants yet.
edit on 2-7-2018 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Trade tariffs are as complicated as healthcare and Trump will probably realise it sooner or later.

I'm not knocking him here either as I believe he genuinely wants to boost the US economy and shift the balance of power in America's favour. It's just one of those learning curves we all have to deal with sometimes. It's like the argument to raise everyone's wages which sounds great and we'd all like more pay. In reality, the costs make the wage rise redundant as it's passed on to to the consumer in higher costs of living.

It's a global economy with even the most powrful nations relying on imports for their infrastructure and domestic industries.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Its a big good ol boys club for people to kiss each others asses at "networking" events

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

The end is nigh!

I'm an American, it would be illegal for me to go above my government and discuss our policy with foreign governments, as we've all found our over the last couple of years.

I think we should focus on talking to our own government and making sure we keep our country afloat, or we all suffer collectively.

Then I'll do it.

*ahem*

Hey other countries! Stop being complete dicks! Lower your taxes on US goods and we'll be nice again.

You surrender, you punk-ass bitches.

Don't ask the US to.

Have a nice day.

Kindest regards,

DB Cowboy.
edit on 2-7-2018 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

The end is nigh!

I'm an American, it would be illegal for me to go above my government and discuss our policy with foreign governments, as we've all found our over the last couple of years.

Then I'll do it.

*ahem*

Hey other countries! Stop be complete dicks! Lower your taxes on US goods and we'll be nice again.

You surrender, you punk-ass bitches.

Don't ask the US to.

Have a nice day.

Kindest regards,

DB Cowboy.

That should do it, thanks!

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Looks like its because he is for Big Business who are for the lowly guy or gal on the street only wanting the next new gadget that can do the same thing the old one could but MORE .

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

What I'm saying if x nation has a list of tariffs on US that we dont them, and then we go do tariffs to nudge them to remove theirs... well hasnt that been a motivating factor / rationale for many / most of these new Trump Tariffs??

That's been my impression, and whatever is takes to make them remove one sided tariffs that have been business as usual then that I support.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The question is:

I am guessing, that the people that hate Trump who are whining like they are getting paid for it(people on government assistants just might be, but i digress, and that's another thread). There seems to be more of those people in Europe. We all know Trump ignores the noise, but he is probably thinking that Europe won't. Then they will, maybe not commit to free trade, but lower tariffs then they have now, which still would be a win. A couple of months of pain for years of pleasure, is probably the goal.

Why do i say this, because everything the Trump haters have said so far, have been wrong, so logically, whatever they say is going on, its almost guaranteed that the opposite is really happening.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: loam

Looks like its because he is for Big Business who are for the lowly guy or gal on the street only wanting the next new gadget that can do the same thing the old one could but MORE .

Actually most members of Chamber of Commerce are small businesses. Big Business is the White House. Impose import tariffs on raw materials on everyone, and then have your government exempt the biggest of the big. That is called playing favorites at the cost of American small business.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Because Tom Donohue represents the people who pay Americans their wages.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm confused because the left campaigned on sticking it to big business and now the left wants to give in to big business demands just for short-term gain. Maybe if everyone wasn't sticking their fingers in their ears screaming Trump has no shot, they would realize Trump campaigned on reducing trade barriers with all our trading partners.
edit on 2-7-2018 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join