It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is asking questions about the chosen people anti-Semitic

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I started a thread on another forum about how religions have the "chosen' people. I was discussing the idea that all through history once you have the "chosen" people, the king can use this the idea that the non-chosen people are sub-humans and therefore are okay to kill. This is so the king can build an empire by demonizing people who are not "chosen". I also argued the idea that I don't think God has a "chosen" people. I argued that it seems to me an omnipotent God would be a little more egalitarian loving every person in His creation equally. I thought I was creating a sincere discussion of a religious concept I find repulsive. I do not like the idea of having a "chosen" people or any label at all. We just have way too much war and violence in the World with what I find to be artificial distinctions being used as reasons.

Okay, all good. I was waiting to see what other people had to say. Then someone posted a very derogatory post in response saying I was "Jew baiting" and that I was anti-Semitic. He had an avatar picture that had some Hebrew letters. I was really taken aback by this comment. How is just talking about the idea of how some religions have a "chosen" people is "Jew baiting". And even further, how was I being anti-Semitic. My thinking is where was this guy coming from where just talking about "chosen" people is somehow a criticism of Judaism? I just don't get it. Am I being anti-Semitic or not? I just don't see it.

edit on 1-7-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
For the purposes of the New Testament, the Jews, or rather Israel, were "chosen" only in the sense of being the first point of contact.
If a God wants to make himself known to the world, and doesn't choose to contact every individual directly, then he has to start somewhere.

edit on 1-7-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I quoted Deuteronomy 7 from the Bible:

Deuteronomy 7 God’s Chosen People

7 “The Lord your God will bring you into the land you are taking for your own. He will drive away many nations in front of you, the Hittites, the Girga#es, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations bigger and stronger than you. 2 When the Lord your God gives them to you and you win the battles against them, you must destroy all of them. Make no agreement with them and show no favor to them. 3 Do not take any of them in marriage. Do not give your daughters to their sons. And do not take their daughters for your sons. 4 For they will turn your sons away from following Me to serve other gods. Then the anger of the Lord will burn against you. And He will be quick to destroy you. 5 But do this to them: Break down their altars. Crush their objects of worship. Cut down their female goddess Asherim. And burn their false gods with fire.

6 “For you are a holy nation to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the nations on the earth, to be His own. 7 The Lord did not give you His love and choose you because you were more people than any of the nations. For the number of your people was less than all nations. 8 But it is because the Lord loves you and is keeping the promise He made to your fathers. So the Lord brought you out by a strong hand. He set you free from the land where you were servants, and from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. 9 Know then that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God. He keeps His promise and shows His loving-kindness to those who love Him and keep His Laws, even to a thousand family groups in the future. 10 But He destroys those who hate Him. He will not show kindness to the one who hates Him, but will punish him to his face. 11 So keep and obey all the Laws I am telling you today."

Again, I was commenting on the idea of having a "chosen" people has been used for justify wars in order to build an empire. I don't see how I was being anti-Semitic.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Well if you ask the Anti-Defamation League, everything is anti-Semitic somehow.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
There are Jews and gentiles
Muslims and infidels
Romans and barbarians

Throughout history God is always on our side. It's stupid as is the person who called you anti-Semitic. He was proving the point. In fact, I would maintain that the inclusive attitude is largely responsible for the way they have been treated throughout history. People who stay aloof as a group are always mistrusted because they fail to assimilate and have an attitude about it. Its not just Jews, but Jews definitely are in that camp.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The Jews were chosen for only one purpose, to show the non Jews how to live love and serve God
They failed miserably at it and we're constantly being chastised by God for their failings
Being Jewish and being chosen wasn't a "good" thing as we imagine it
Israel was under constant threat

I am not sure what "chosen for" is clearly defined by you

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
You're going to get that everywhere sadly.

I get it all the time, I have the very same thoughts as you.

I don't like the idea of any religion setting aside its followers as 'chosen people' or 'special'.

Like you said, I think all of humanity and intelligent life in the Universe is equal.

I get called anti-semitic all the time just because I say I don't agree that the Jews are God's chosen people and because of that fact I don't think they have any right to land based on what a centuries-old book says.

Granted my views go much further than this but yea it's not just limited to the Jewish people, I have the same thoughts for anyone else elevating themselves above others based on their religious beliefs.

From what you've posted, you're spot on, just ignore them and move on you get that kind of stuff all the time.

Keep being you, ignore them, don't change and certainly don't apologise.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Say what you mean, and never back down.www.youtube.com...

Despite what the world likes or not, Israel is GOD's Chosen People.

What others think, should not matter to you.
edit on 1-7-2018 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

the king can use this the idea that the non-chosen people are sub-humans and therefore are okay to kill

Where did you find that ? That is an OPINION , not any quote from either the Torah , The Christian Bible , nor even the Quran
And , I cannot think of not one leader that held that opinion. Except for Hitler.

Well , you are correct in a way. They COULD and if you follow any of the 3 religions above , they will
This person has many names.
But , yet to come.

edit on 7/1/18 by Gothmog because: add info

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I think that the Op is thinking in 'concept' rather than in actuality. But this is to be heeded

“The Lord your God will bring you into the land you are taking for your own. He will drive away many nations in front of you, the Hittites, the Girga#es, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations bigger and stronger than you. 2 When the Lord your God gives them to you and you win the battles against them, you must destroy all of them. Make no agreement with them and show no favor to them. 3 Do not take any of them in marriage. Do not give your daughters to their sons. And do not take their daughters for your sons. 4 For they will turn your sons away from following Me to serve other gods. Then the anger of the Lord will burn against you. And He will be quick to destroy you. 5 But do this to them: Break down their altars. Crush their objects of worship. Cut down their female goddess Asherim. And burn their false gods with fire."

a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
The Jews were chosen for only one purpose, to show the non Jews how to live love and serve God
They failed miserably at it and we're constantly being chastised by God for their failings
Being Jewish and being chosen wasn't a "good" thing as we imagine it
Israel was under constant threat

I am not sure what "chosen for" is clearly defined by you

While the Jews were "chosen" to be the vehicle for which the Word of God (Jesus) would be born and the gospel spread, like you, I've always described them as being "chosen" to be made an example out of. God used them to show everyone else what to do AND what not to do, and they clearly covered both ends of the spectrum.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: R1CK3O

I get called anti-semitic all the time just because I say I don't agree that the Jews are God's chosen people and because of that fact I don't think they have any right to land based on what a centuries-old book says.

While the Jews may or may not have any right to the land, if God wants them to have it, he'll give it to them. The Bible says we're supposed to look to Israel for signs of Jesus' return (as well as God's existence in the first place). If the Jews end up receiving all of the land promised to them in the Bible, then we're supposed to know who the one true God is and that He exists as it was written.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

But the “god” you are speaking of is just one of many. There are many others from times before the Hebrew written language AKA”modern standard Arabic” was around. Not saying that you are wrong but I believe “god” can be many different things to others chosen beliefs.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

But the “god” you are speaking of is just one of many. There are many others from times before the Hebrew written language AKA”modern standard Arabic” was around. Not saying that you are wrong but I believe “god” can be many different things to others chosen beliefs.[/quote

The God he is speaking of, is the one true God of Jewish and Christian belief. To them, there is only one God, all the others are imposters.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Topcraft

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

But the “god” you are speaking of is just one of many. There are many others from times before the Hebrew written language AKA”modern standard Arabic” was around. Not saying that you are wrong but I believe “god” can be many different things to others chosen beliefs.[/quote

The God he is speaking of, is the one true God of Jewish and Christian belief. To them, there is only one God, all the others are imposters.

When you quote a user you need to scroll down past the quote word. Other wise it makes it look like I said what you just did. It’s all good though I got ya. But viewing another “god” as an imposter may offend others or just seem confusing to those are are well aware of Neopaganism.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Topcraft

See what I did there. Anyways I hope that served as a learning experience.
Welcome to ATS.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Is asking questions about the chosen people anti-Semitic?

If you're asking why they're killing Palestinians, then yes , you're a raging anti-semite and need to be banned from the universe
edit on 1-7-2018 by acackohfcc because: sp

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined
a reply to: R1CK3O

While the Jews may or may not have any right to the land, if God wants them to have it, he'll give it to them. The Bible says we're supposed to look to Israel for signs of Jesus' return (as well as God's existence in the first place). If the Jews end up receiving all of the land promised to them in the Bible, then we're supposed to know who the one true God is and that He exists as it was written.

No, if that ever happens I call it a coincidence!

I'm sorry but Israel has a hell of a lot of money and support from the international community, the Palestinians aren't that lucky and have the odds stacked against them.

You can't turn around and say that 'well if they get the land then it proves them and the Bible right' because it really doesn't.

Let's face it, Israel has gained so much support because most western countries are Christian based and the Christians support Israel as a nation when you have that kind of support, power and bankroll you're going to come out on top regardless.

It doesn't prove their religion right, just like is the Palestinians got their homeland back it wouldn't say anything about Islam as a religion.

There is no one true God religion is all theory and speculation and anyone following an Abrahamic based belief system is thinking primitively.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I'm talking the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Also of Moses and Noah.

The GOD I am speaking of is Not 'one of many' but in fact the one true GOD, Creator of all that exists. Your belief or not does not change the fact.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I'm talking the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Also of Moses and Noah.

The GOD I am speaking of is Not 'one of many' but in fact the one true GOD, Creator of all that exists. Your belief or not does not change the fact.

That's cool but your personal beliefs don't make you right.

One thing that cracks me up about followers of any Abrahamic based faith is the fact that they always insist they are right and know that what they believe is correct and true and nobody else's opinion, thoughts or beliefs matter because they know they're right and their God is the one true God and that's that... LOL...

I mean I'm not naive or stupid enough to tell you that I am right and you're wrong.

The truth is nobody knows the real truth, it's impossible for anyone to know for sure, we can all speculate and theorise but the truth is until we pass to the other side none of us truly know. People put their faith in what they have been taught to believe through their upbringing or what a minister has told you to believe or what ancient texts you have read.

The fact is if you were brought up in the middle east chances are you'd be a Muslim or Hindu, brought up in Asia you'd more than likely be a Buddhist. Yea there are exceptions but few and far between. The fact of the matter is a lot of our spiritual beliefs are down to enviroment and the cultures we are brought up in. Sure you get the odd convert between faiths here and there but the evidence is right there.

When you weigh it all up the probability is that nobody knows the one true path or right way.

I've been a Christian before so I know no matter how much I debate and back and forth with you, you're unlikely to yield that's what brainwashing does to a person and I would do the exact same in your situation but that's proof right there. When you can't even open yourself up to others ideas and opinions and accept the possability you may just be wrong, that's when you know the problem doesn't lie with others, it lies with yourself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join