It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Content Creators Are Exploited By Monoliths Apple, Google, Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
deadline.com...

So Apple was going to give Taylor Swifts music away for free in some promo for one of their streaming services. Oh no, Tayler said to them:

“I don’t ask for free iPhones, so why free music?” Apple backed down after Swift wrote an open letter to its CEO Tim Cook, and not only paid for her music offering during the promotion period but the tunes of every other artist.

Apparently, since the platform behemoths, Apple, Facebook, Amazon and Google (with their massive legal pirating of music and other artistic content) have come on the scene artists are losing close to 50 billion a year in their rights and loyalties.

It use to be that a music artist could derive a good sum of royalties from their past recordings; not anymore since the arrival of the flatform monopolies of Google, Facebook, and Apple and Amazon

Swift’s rebellion may pay dividends long term by pointing up this broader question: Why is it that, while vastly more creative content is being consumed worldwide, less revenue is flowing to the people who create it? This is the issue probed by Jonathan Taplin in an important new book that demonstrates how intellectual property has been hijacked by what he calls the new “marketing monoculture” led by Facebook, Amazon and Google. Taplin even puts a number on it: He estimates that some $50 billion a year has been quietly shifting from content creators to “owners of the monopoly platforms.”
Taplin’s book, from Little, Brown, is titled Move Fast And Break Things: How Google, Facebook And Amazon Cornered Culture And Undermined Democracy

So if you’re a writer, musical artist or other content creators apparently unlike before the internet platform age of the giants, Apple, Amazon, Google and Facebook, your poor and broke.

If you’re into professional music ONLY the top, Beyonce, Jay Z, Taller Swifts, Madonna’s are making any money today.

edit on 1-7-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
So- in short, NO ONE IS SAFE FROM THESE MONEY SUCKING GREED MONSTERS.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Everywhere I go I hear the sentiment that information should be free. Your average Joe downloads copyrighted music and movies with impunity. I used to write software for the education community. Teachers would copy the software from district to district and then have the gall to call me up and ask for help when they STOLE it in the first place. You blame the big, bad corporations when the majority of intellectual property theft takes place by people who frequent these forums with the idea that they wouldn't have paid for it anyway, so that makes it okay. But if Apple does it, they're not okay. Bunch of damned hypocrites.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat
So- in short, NO ONE IS SAFE FROM THESE MONEY SUCKING GREED MONSTERS.

You got it straight, particularly if your a musician, artist, or writer things are difficult, not like they use to be.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Conspiratorially, this may be all a part of the plan to, using a computer term, delete the middle class!

Richard Dolan the famous UFOlogists recently gave a speech and veering off the UFO subject mentioned that that is the plan of the present powers that be, to indeed, shave a good part of the head off of the middle class.

Middle class actually is people who make 200 grand and up, it is not the ironworkers, plumbers, auto workers, they are the Lower middle class.

In the book, I refer to this guy documents that major musicians are doing very badly through this massive copyright infringement. All people who use to be in the middle class.www.amazon.com...

www.theguardian.com...

The book, I would advise all to go to the library and get this book. It’s a horror story actually.
It’s a book you can’t put down. I think it will be a groundbreaker unless the book gets suppressed.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
In the book, the author describes the sad tale of a major rock musician in a group called The Band who started with Bob Dylon in the 60’s.

The drummer, Levon Helm use to derive a living off his royalties enough to make a good living.
When the predators started to infringe on the musician's copyrights starting with Napster and ending with the giants Google, Facebook, Apple and Amazon, musicians got killed financially. Not the major artists like Beyonce, Madonna, Jayz, Taylor Swift, the one percent who garner 80 percent of the musical revenue from the platforms ( record companies, Internet platforms[ Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon] and streaming sites) but the lesser musical artists who aren’t as popular as the major artists.

That was guys like Leven Helm.

So a guy like Leven Helm, who got cancer at 70, was unable to make a living because his revenue from royalties got squelched by the copyright predators.

He was forced to go out on the road and play sick to make a living. He died of cancer.

It makes me now think I no longer want to go to youtube to play any music.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

She doesn't even write her own songs... follow the money.

edit on 1-7-2018 by AttitudeProblem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AttitudeProblem

I know the top ones are sucking up the cash

I’m referring to the proletarian musician who is trying to make it

Actually, music and ais more widespread than at any time in history yet the money just goes to the platforms and no longer the artists.

They’ve made art a commodity, like milk and eggs

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: AttitudeProblem

I know the top ones are sucking up the cash

I’m referring to the proletarian musician who is trying to make it

Actually, music and ais more widespread than at any time in history yet the money just goes to the platforms and no longer the artists.

They’ve made art a commodity, like milk and eggs

Artists complained about the record companies doing exactly the same thing. They would pay radio stations to plug a particular artist. Others couldn't get promoted in the same way.

In the past, the way to become known and get feedback on your performance was to get paid to play live at local bars and restaurants. Many artists got famous that way (The Beatles, Human League), but then the owners got miffed that other people were getting rich off their backs so they started charging for artists to play. Then it alls falls apart. The talent scouts are no longer able to find anyone.

new topics

top topics

join