It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Polio Conspiracy In Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
A major offensive against polio has been launced in Africa. An immunization drive could stop the spread of the crippling disease by the end of this year. Muslim clerics have rejected the polio vaccine and are pushing people to boycot it as well. Their boycot helped spread the virus to 12 African countries previously declared polio-free.

West Africa Launches Anti-Polio Drive

A boycott of the vaccine by Muslim leaders in northern Nigeria led to a doubling in the number of Nigerian children paralyzed by polio to 788 in 2004, and helped spread the virus to 12 African countries previously declared polio-free.

Muslim clerics backed by politicians rejected the polio vaccine in late 2003, saying they suspected it was contaminated with AIDS and infertility agents by Western powers seeking to depopulate the Muslim world.

"If the global war against polio is to be won, the battle to end the transmission of polio must be fought and won in Nigeria in 2005," said Nigerian Health Minister Eyitayo Lambo at the launch on the Nigeria-Benin border.

The presidents of Nigeria, Benin and Niger launched the new initiative, which will cover 23 African countries.

This is insane. I hope these muslim clerics can be stopped. They are a major obstacle in this war against polio. This is a chance to rid the world from this virus once and for all, and these (put an obscene word here) should not prevent this mission from succeeding.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I remember when this was being discussed last year - from an article then:

The Kano governor said he judged "it is a lesser of two evils to sacrifice two, three, four, five, even 10 children (to polio) than allow hundreds of thousands or possibly millions of girl-children likely to be rendered infertile."

Tests carried out on the vaccine by his state's scientists last year found traces of hormones that "we want explained," the governor added.
Link

Once the clerics, and the government for that matter, questioned the motives behind the vaccinations it put a question of doubt in the minds of many people. I don't think that can be undone easily. How many of these people who were wiling to be vaccinated will not, even if the clerics give the go ahead. Especially when state scientists said they found "trace of hormones." While I understand subsequent tests failed to show these hormones would that ease your mind if you are a mother of two children - who do you believe? It's just such a tragedy that, once again, it the children who will suffer.

Great stuff as usual Hellmutt.
B.

[edit on 2/20/05 by Bleys]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
OMFG!

Are these Muslims stupid? Dumb? blind? or just all three rolled into one???

Don't they know, or more importantly, don't they care about the suffering Polio causes?? These people need a serious slap to theside of the head to wake them up.

Its just as bad as the Black africans, Condoms and AIDS.... are they so stupid as to think these 10th century thoughts?? has all the billions in western aid resulted in a continent of aid dependant dunces???

They must be smarter than this....polio from the Muslim clerics, Condoms cause AIDS from the Catholic Church....oh it makes you want to cry....

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I love reading stories like this, because it reminds me of evolution in action. Anybody who listens to the whacked out bearded guy has a better chance of dying, that's alright with me. Anyone who doesn't listen to the whacked out bearded guy gets the vaccine and maybe doesn't contract polio, that is also okay with me. We're witnessing the advancement of the human race here people! Well sort of, before I get too excited there are some other points to consider.

Maybe the bearded guy isn't so whacked out after all, what if the polio vaccine is a transmission vector for another disease, or what if it lowers the immune systems response to another contagion? Vaccines have their risks, and a good number of people every year die from them, so let's not jump the gun on condemnations. I personally think it's terrible that some religious leader thinks he knows whats best for millions of his followers, but that's the world we live in. It's always been like this, and probably always will be. Only the strong survive.

Personally I'm against vaccinations. I think every human being should have a chance to fight off the deadly diseases, and a chance to die. If only the people with strong immune systems survived to breed long into middle age, mankind would be stronger for it. I understand that medicine has become a culture that seeks perfect health, but it's just not possible. The pope was talking about this the other day, but then again he rides around in a bulletproof popemobile, that's faith in action there.

What does it matter to the US or UK if muslims want to encourage their own people to suffer? Anyone who listens to another man deserves what he gets, all those people should be thinking for themselves, but they're not, and you can't make them, so let it go. After the next big polio outbreak, maybe the people will be less inclined to listen to their leaders. That's progress right there.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
now now my friends , play nice . generalizations should not be made , and referring to muslims as stupid or dumb is highly resented . i agree that this guy's move is irrational , and he should know better than to think that nigeria of all countries , is a target to any sort of conspiracy . i blame the so called " scientists " whome he probably relied on to make sure that everything is in order , and i hope that in the future no hasty half witted announcements be made by people who have so much power ....

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It is amazing to me that when others speak negatively of groups or religions nothing happens but when I do it I lose points. This website plays favorites and is way too left wing.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
MADGIMBO,

i totally get what you mean. I would also place a bet on the possiblility that these muslim clerics got the polio vaccination. This whole thing is just absolutly insane and the assumption that ppl HAVE to suffer to uphold their beliefs is ridiculous. Im a christian and i believe in standing up for what you believe in but there comes a point when people have to be realistic and use common sense. How does contracting a painful disease help/hurt your faith. And i also agree with what you said about the African condoms thing....I dont understand how they dont get the concept of NO CONDOM USE = POSSIBILTY OF CONTRACTING DEADLY VIRUS. and the catholic idea that condoms are wrong isnt helping. but i suppose everyone acts out their beliefs in different ways. IMOP people should work on themselves before they go on telling other people how to make huge life decisons. From my point of view...and like i said i dont mean to push the whole God thing on any one, but i believe medicine was created to help people especially medicine that cures these deadly viruses. And condoms not only help prevent disease but also prevent pregnancy when people arent financially stable or emotionally for that matter. God does value life but to not want to get pregnant is not a sin IMOP. God gave us brains for a reason. And for those of you that dont believe in a divine being, the argument im sure isnt much different then mine, aside from where the source of logic came from. Unfortuantly religion sometimes causes people to develop this Holier than thou facade that causes alot of damage. And all i can do is make sure i dont act that way towards others. People gotta realise that you cant MAKE someone believe anything. Again, another logical concept that human beings dont seem to realize regardless of where you go. But im just a 19 year old college girl , what do i know

Kind Regards,
Melissa:

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well, now Polio has spread to Yemen and Indonesia too.

NEWS: Polio Epidemic Hits Yemen (by djohnsto77) - ATSNN-Story

NEWS: Polio Crosses the Ocean - Arrives in Indonesia (by WyrdeOne) - ATSNN-Story

The battle against polio might be lost...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
i've been thinking about this topic, and it seems to me that it's easy for us to point fingers at these clerics for their beliefs and ignorance. i certainly don't condone them and their behaviour, just as i think south africa is showing signs of heading down the drain along with its neighbours so far as thabo mbeki's AIDS beliefs are concerned.

but... consider the countries they are in, and then look at america, and to a lesser degree, the rest of the western world. we have ridiculous rates of diabetes and heart disease stemming from obesity, and what is the cause? ignorance and poverty, the same fertile soil on which beliefs like these muslim clerics' grow on. instead of being led astray by power hungry advocates of religion, the desparate and poor in our country are led astray by power hungry junk food manufacturers.

before anyone says, "well, the difference is, we allow our doctors to treat those with diabetes," i should state that that's not my point. the point is the same type of conditions have given rise to an ailment in our country that give rise to another ailment in a different country. indeed, it seems almost worse in the west, because thanks to high literacy rates and half-way decent education systems we generally know fully well he dangers of the actions we take regarding our bodies, but we do nothing about it, because we're too poor or too weak willed.

i'm not condoning these clerics, i'm just saying maybe we should point our indignation at ourselves, where it can serve to actually make a change?

-koji K.

[edit on 3-5-2005 by koji_K]

[edit on 3-5-2005 by koji_K]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I don't blame them for not trusting a random vaccine sent over with inexplicable hormones in it...
If you could look at your neighbors and see countries where whole masses of people were rendered infertile by the life saving vaccines that contained chemicals to cause infertility (that are not related to the vaccine!) then you find the same things in the vaccine they are sending you.... wouldn't you be a bit cautious?

I mean if it were a regular straight polio vaccine that is one thing, they are just asking for an explaination of the extra hormones that were added. They are not part of the polio vaccine and will make about 30% of the females injected permanently infertile. The US has done this to multiple other countries in the past without explaination and they just ignore any request for explaination.

Originally posted by Bleys
I remember when this was being discussed last year - from an article then:

The Kano governor said he judged "it is a lesser of two evils to sacrifice two, three, four, five, even 10 children (to polio) than allow hundreds of thousands or possibly millions of girl-children likely to be rendered infertile."

Tests carried out on the vaccine by his state's scientists last year found traces of hormones that "we want explained," the governor added.
Link

[edit on 2/20/05 by Bleys]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This whole "polio, oh the humanity!" deal is just parroting mainstream media. Do a bit of research into the connections between polio vaccinations and the 1980's outbreak of viruses, and the recent rise in infertility in Africa, and you may find that there are legitimate reasons to mistrust the WHO. Meh~ the propaganda mill have it easy these days: they just add the word "Muslim" in front of anything and our brains go into cynical zombie hate mode. I guess they boycott the vaccinations because they hate our freedoms, eh? Or could it be because experts in the field have found hormones that cause infertility in the vaccines? Nahhh, they're all just crazy, uneducated, fundamentalist terrorists. Carry on...

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

News.com.au: Muslim fear hinders polio campaign

May 15, 2005

NIGERIA, home to the world's largest remaining pocket of polio, has launched a massive vaccination campaign for 40 million children.

"The vaccination operation will start today and last until May 17 with 45 million doses for at least 40 million children," said a spokeswoman for the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) in Nigeria. It is the third such campaign this year.

But the program, which is being conducted with the assistance of UNICEF and the World Health Organisation (WHO), has faced resistance from Muslim families, who fear a plot to sterilise infant girls.

Katsina State officials in northern Nigeria have warned they will jail any parents who refuse to allow health workers to vaccinate their children against the crippling polio virus.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Katsina State officials in northern Nigeria have warned they will jail any parents who refuse to allow health workers to vaccinate their children against the crippling polio virus.

And there you have it. Vaccinate your kids or go to jail. This is what will happen in the West next time a major outbreak of some disease occurs. We are being conditioned to accept this. Now watch as everyone jumps on the bandwagon and says that jailing of those who refuse vaccines is correct and justified.

top topics

join