It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising conservative star Jordan Peterson in debate: "Athiesm leads to murder"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent
Meh I get what he is saying, a christians fears hell for sins a atheist does not. What is the big deal about? How on earth do we spin that explanation for hours on ats is beyond my general purpose in understanding human behavior. Unless we are arguing over what this guy said.. lol I understood what he meant lol. Actually Jordan is one of the few people that make sense these days..

Meh, I am so glad you said that
Thought it was me

That is just such a simple and perfect answer/summary

I think Peterson is not just one of the few who make sense but can read society and where it's going

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Raggedyman

Do atheist believe that there is no higher order of intelligence that operates in the universe?

After this life they are not subject to any justice?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You sound like Spock-pure rational on the one hand but tempered with emotional from his human mother. Perfection no?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I will say this: When I stepped completely out of the "God Circle" - - I felt far more personally responsible for my actions.

Atheist (lack of belief in a god/deity - - no other meaning)

There is no "Go To Guy" - - no excuses - - no forgiveness. Just ME.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I like Peterson's views on some topics, not on others.

He's given to making comments that build his brand; this is an example.

However, making a claim about real people based solely on a literary character is just patently absurd.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I will say this: When I stepped completely out of the "God Circle" - - I felt far more personally responsible for my actions.

Atheist (lack of belief in a god/deity - - no other meaning)

There is no "Go To Guy" - - no excuses - - no forgiveness. Just ME.

And that was the whole point, it's personally subjective
Why is that being debated or argued, why is Peterson wrong in what he is saying in the video

You have a free will to operate as you an atheist see fit
Subject only to the laws of society and your free expression to choose what you want, good or bad

It's not about personal actions or choice, it's about moral foundations and where they come from

Atheism means a whole lot more than a lack of a belief in a deity
Saying I am a Christian is a whole lot more than believing in a deity

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
athiests dont believe in god....right....

thats why they search for him with particle accelerators and want to be him using AI and advanced robotics.

athiest indeed.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Peterson is not a Christian, is CERTAINLY NOT a Christian evangelical, your premise is just staggeringly stupid

m.youtube.com...

Your assumption and argument is a complete fallacy and hence a complete failure
By Petersons own definition he is an agnostic. See the YouTube interview above before making such naive comments

Peterson does read and evaluate the bible, because he sees many interesting psychological relevant issues contained in it
A very clever well spoken man with a very concise understanding of people
To describe Peterson as a Christian evangelical, that's just dumb and completely wrong

A self confessed agnostic, Peterson does not argue as a Christian

How can you define a whole thread and argument based on such a completely wrong premise, staggeringly stupid

Easy, to better attack his position. Many are under the false assumption that Peterson is "alt-right" as well.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Peterson is not a Christian, is CERTAINLY NOT a Christian evangelical, your premise is just staggeringly stupid

m.youtube.com...

Your assumption and argument is a complete fallacy and hence a complete failure
By Petersons own definition he is an agnostic. See the YouTube interview above before making such naive comments

Peterson does read and evaluate the bible, because he sees many interesting psychological relevant issues contained in it
A very clever well spoken man with a very concise understanding of people
To describe Peterson as a Christian evangelical, that's just dumb and completely wrong

A self confessed agnostic, Peterson does not argue as a Christian

How can you define a whole thread and argument based on such a completely wrong premise, staggeringly stupid

Easy, to better attack his position. Many are under the false assumption that Peterson is "alt-right" as well.

They want him to claim that soooooo badly. Never. He knows their tricks.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: TinfoilTP

BWAHAHAHA

HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN!!

Christopher Columbus was a Christian..

Cortez was a Christian..

Vlad the impaled..Christian

Christians killed roughly all the aborigines ..

Christians killed roughly all the native Americans..

Christians enslaved most of Africa..

Christians killed hundreds of thousands of eskimos..
Christians killed countless pagans in the Middle Ages.. BRUTALLY..

I would love to play the “what religion has the most rapes and murders” game..

Atheism is relatively new..

We have a couple thousand years of Christian atrocities to tally..

Uhh Atheism has its roots as far back as the ancient Greek, in 5th century BCE...

3rd wave atheism (
) is new.
edit on 1-7-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: TinfoilTP

BWAHAHAHA

HITLER WAS A CHRISTIAN!!

Christopher Columbus was a Christian..

Cortez was a Christian..

Vlad the impaled..Christian

Christians killed roughly all the aborigines ..

Christians killed roughly all the native Americans..

Christians enslaved most of Africa..

Christians killed hundreds of thousands of eskimos..
Christians killed countless pagans in the Middle Ages.. BRUTALLY..

I would love to play the “what religion has the most rapes and murders” game..

Atheism is relatively new..

We have a couple thousand years of Christian atrocities to tally..

Bwahahaha

Stalin atheist death toll estimate only 3 million to 30 million, no one is sure
Mao Atheist 45 million in 4 years, the Great Leap Forward
Pol Pot 1.5 to 3 million
Communism our atheist society has probably according to the link cost 100 million lives

en.m.wikipedia.org...

No I am not excusing Christianity, purely disgusting how we as a faith have acted

But your mob, your religious group, 100 million

The difference Joshua, you will run, you will deny, you won't take responsibility, you will say " it's not me or mine" and pretend it has nothing to do with Darwinism or atheism

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
This seems rather oversimplified. It doesn't sound like he said any atheist would become a murderer simply because they are an atheist.

What I got from the video was that Peterson said a *genuine* atheist would be able to rationalize a "perfect" murder on a terrible person because they had convinced themselves that there would be no metaphysical consequences and it would be for "the greater good."

Which is a dumb argument because religions have done this very thing many times over but believed they would be free form metaphysical consequences.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal

thats why they search for him with particle accelerators and want to be him using AI and advanced robotics.

athiest indeed.

They are not looking for god but answers. If god turns out to be an answer they can prove, science would allow it.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal

athiest indeed.

I don’t believe they are searching for “god” using particle accelerators. Maybe you took the term “god particle” too seriously. That is a term coined by a physicist in like the 70s I believe. As far as A.I. Is concerned we are far from having true A.I. And more that likely when that is possible we will all be dead anyways.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: toysforadults

So there's no good and bad?

Depends on your definition.
Is homosexuality a sin?

Interesting question

In and of itself sex outside of marriage is a sin, so homosexuality outside of marriage is a sin based on christianity

But your question suggests you don't think homosexuality or sex outside of marriage is a sin, you decided

So you decide homosexuality isn't a sin I understand?
So is murder?
Is murder wrong and why, just because society says so or do you have a foundation outside of societies norms?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

The link has already been provided and another provided by another member. He's a Christian and a follower of the bible.

By all means find an alternative link where he says he's not a Christian.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

However, making a claim about real people based solely on a literary character is just patently absurd.

I'm of the thought that he knows the absurdity of this claim, but that this is just a part of his careful character building to appeal to his targeted audience. An example of this are his attempts to be vague when similar questions come up. He's smart enough to know better, no doubt.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Phage

I just don't get why we need a peaceful society for what?

Why don't ants just make individual homes?

Why do elephants typically move in herds?

I'll answer for you, it's called survival. The chances of reproduction and survival are higher when a life form is advanced and not solitary. There's exceptions but they tend to be prime hunters or fill a niche in the ecosystem.

I could write all day about why a peaceful society is desirable but I'd rather you look at what stress and conflict does to the human body then compare it to what social interaction and project building with others does to the human body.

It's all just chemicals telling us how to feel... Peace and interaction go hand in hand, it's when humans are at their best. So in other words we need a peaceful society to survive and then thrive.

Minus our cognitive ability we're no different than animals, we are animals. Humans don't need gods to be human.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Peterson is not a Christian,

Yet he clearly claims to be one.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Is morality inherently a form of spiritualism?

Not when morality is usurped by religion and government.

Empathy is innate source morality, not authoritarianism.
edit on 1-7-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join