It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising conservative star Jordan Peterson in debate: "Athiesm leads to murder"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Being an atheist, a perfect atheist, then everything would be done through rational agency and tangible proof. Pure logic.

What logic is there that prevents this character's rational case to commit the murder?

Ahhh. Come to think of it I actually think I've heard Jordan Peterson articulate this point out in a talk before, I bet it was the same talk but it wasn't included in the video for various reasons.

Also really good way to articulate that position out.
edit on 30-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

link   
Lack of love...more precisely, hatred, and envy lead to murder.

The first murderer was Cain. He wasn't an atheist. In fact before he murdered his brother Jehovah God warned him that if he didn't turn back from his burning anger he would not* be able to master his rage and he would sin. Cain didn't listen and murdered his brother out of pure hatred and envy:

After some time, Cain brought some fruits of the land as an offering to Jehovah. 4 But Abel brought some firstlings of his flock, including their fat. While Jehovah looked with favor on Abel and on his offering, 5 he did not look with any favor on Cain and on his offering. So Cain grew hot with anger and was dejected. 6 Then Jehovah said to Cain: “Why are you so angry and dejected? 7 If you turn to doing good, will you not be restored to favor? But if you do not turn to doing good, sin is crouching at the door, and its craving is to dominate you; but will you get the mastery over it?”
8 After that Cain said to his brother Abel: “Let us go over into the field.” So while they were in the field, Cain assaulted his brother Abel and killed him. - Genesis 4:3-8.

So whether you believe in God, and he even talks to you personally, doesn't mean you aren't going to murder.

People must stop hating and envying one another. They must love one another.

I tell you an atheist that loves his fellow man is more righteous than a person who believes in God and hates his fellow-man.

In fact the Bible says that it is impossible for a beleiever to love God if he hates his brother. And this is why:

(1 John 3:15) . . .Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has everlasting life remaining in him.

(1 John 4:20, 21) If anyone says, “I love God,” and yet is hating his brother, he is a liar. For the one who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21 And we have this commandment from him, that whoever loves God must also love his brother.

edit on 30-6-2018 by redletter because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Raggedyman

I have no idea what point it is you are trying to make.

Yeah that's clear

The question was asked about moral principles atheists have

Your reply about prison and death is in relation to a western society based justice system, irrelevant to atheistic morals
Overreaching phage?

What is the Golden Rule for atheists you explained, who enforces it, what if it's broken

Can't be any simpler

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: ketsuko

The key to some of your questions is easy.

Most threads of this nature are purely knee jerk reactions, its basically being TOO LITERAL.

In other words, the OPs piece is designed to push the narrative that a Repub, even a prominent one, would allude to equating Death and Atheist, thereby, setting the tone for an audience that may or may not know any better.

This is inherently the same tactic used by MSM of all things. The good'ole twist and sell.

sometimes you gotta wonder who the producer is and if it's the same organization

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Here is a good example where someone takes a small snip of Jordan and places it way out of the context it was given

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   

ahhh and this is where we get into the, "western civilization is a product of Judaeo christian values" perspective

which I agree with
edit on 30-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

What is the Golden Rule for atheists you explained, who enforces it, what if it's broken

I told you. The legal system.
If it's broken, they get away with it. They often do. But I can see the comfort in believing that they will burn in hell for eternity. Especially if they're homosexual.

edit on 6/30/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

You can't speak for all atheists

Then why did you ask this:

Can you tell me what all atheists consider a bad action and why

Because you told me there was an atheist golden rule, I was trying to find out some more information
I am still what somewhat incredulous, maybe I am missing something, maybe my whole life

I was an atheist once, I never knew of a golden rule

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Nothing could be simpler than the golden rule.
There is nothing to argue with.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Because you told me there was an atheist golden rule
No. I said there is a golden rule. One that makes a good starting point. It's the same one your Christ preached, interestingly enough.

Sounds like a personal problem. It's good that you found a direction, at last.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I told you. The legal system.
If it's broken, they get away with it. They often do. But I can see the comfort in believing that they will burn in hell for eternity. Especially if they're homosexual.

Oh dear me, seriously, you are now at your most pathetic Phage
Cowardly
Firstly, I don't believe the Bible teaches eternal hell for humanity, stop projecting your Catholicism on me. I am not anti homosexual either, I am sure there will be homosexuals in heaven

You are describing a human justice system
The OP is about atheistic moral thinking, nothing to do with a secular or religious justice system.

We are talking about how atheists decide right from wrong

I know you understand, I also know you are to arrogant to be sincere, hounest and open in your discussion
😄😁

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

stop projecting your Catholicism on me.

I'm not a Catholic. Nor was I raised as one.

I admit it. I'm a human. Aren't you?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Because you told me there was an atheist golden rule
No. I said there is a golden rule. One that makes a good starting point. It's the same one your Christ preached, interestingly enough.

Sounds like a personal problem. It's good that you found a direction, at last.

Oh I see
All atheists accept the Christian golden rule?
What one was that again?
Do you even remember the ops question we are discussing

It was about Peterson saying atheists don't have a moral foundation
So now you are telling me all atheists have a Christian moral foundation based on the Christian golden rule

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

All atheists accept the Christian golden rule?
I don't know. Do all Christians employ it?

So now you are telling me all atheists have a Christian moral foundation based on the Christian golden rule
No. I'm saying that the golden rule transcends any religion. It is a logical construct. Not divine.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I just don't get why we need a peaceful society for what?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

For the benefit of all.

At least, in theory.

Be nice to me and I'll be nice to you.

Simple. Elegant.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I don't think everyone needs that benefit

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I disagree.
Unless they're a dick about it.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

At least, in theory. Be nice to me and I'll be nice to you. Simple. Elegant.
Seems like a concept that goes over a lot of liberal heads as of late .

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

stop projecting your Catholicism on me.

I'm not a Catholic. Nor was I raised as one.

I admit it. I'm a human. Aren't you?

I didn't say you were a Catholic, it is Catholic belief hell is eternal, you obviously believe that Catholic understanding is accurate and you project that on me

Yeah mostly human, also spiritual, hence my beliefs

We am describing a Westninster justice system based on Christian values or your US ones based on the same values enforced by a secular society
That's not up for debate, that much is obvious

Peterson discussing atheistic morals and where they are derived from was the topic
You want to get back on to that

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join