It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Problem with the Left by a dirty leftist.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: face23785

You may not believe in the fact that not everyone uses a dictionary defintion of words, but it is nonetheless true.

Our society is being destroyed by identity politics in so far as we use personal definitions of certain characteristics (race, gender, religious or political belief) as generic categories to define ourselves or others.

We are all many qualities at once.

In terms of American political parties, it's really easy for me to see that they represent themselves and their own interests not the people or theirs.

I absolutely believe that people use their own definitions, and it's a big problem. When everyone means something different with the same word it's a major barrier to effective communication. I try not to do that. I'm sure I fail at times.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts or definitions.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think this is a interesting conversation about how we define the right and the left.

I personally think that language is very fluid and context dependent, definitions change over time and can even change depending on the context in which they are used. Thats kind of why a pet peeve of mine is when I see members quoting the dictionary rather than turning to legal or academic definitions. The world liberal is a excellent example of this, liberal means something very different in America than it does in the UK.

I actually think that a simple definition of left and right politics in the context of ATS quite often can simply be to say those who agree with Trump and his politics are on the right and the rest of us are on the left. Now I know thats a very simplistic way of looking at it but I think it remains true to some extent. I know of right leaning members who get called leftists because they disagree with Trump and his policies.

Quite a interesting conversation and I thin that honestly we will never have a agreed upon definition of terms like lift and right.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Well said.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

We don't need definitions of those terms I think ... we dont' need mindless generic categories to which we all attend and defend. That's a part of cultural programming, and we need to resist it and break away from it.

We need to take personal responsibility for our thoughts and actions, be able to clearly state what we believe and why, and accept that not everyone will believe the same things we do.

Anything else, in my opinion, is society-level "carrot and stick."

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

yeah I could kind of agree with you on that, I do think definitions help but I think its getting a bit silly they way the left and the right seem to have transformed into Team Trump or Team Never Trump.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Just wanted to say that damn...you are on mental fire lately.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Just wanted to say that damn...you are on mental fire lately.

Is he #woke?

I do find myself starring more of his posts than I used to.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

More than most. (IMO)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Aw, gwarsh guys.

Positive thoughts much appreciated.

Here's my thing. I'm sick to death of mere bickering. And it's not just the shallow-thinking mouth-breathers on both "sides" that are doing it ... it's also been those of us who know better, who are at least aware enough of ourselves to notice the cultural programming.

Now, you all know I like a good argument. I don't even mind getting down in the mud. LOL.

But Sweet Jesus ... the droning repetition of extremist media talking points had just about done me in.

Plus, I'm just frankly pissed that the f-ing PTB have refined their mass-mind-control techniques so thorougly that almost all of us are embedded in it whether we like it or not.

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The problem with this thread, and many on ATS, is that it confuses liberalism with the left.

They are two different things.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join