It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

uncomfortable situation at work. how would you have handled it?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Lol @ this:

originally posted by: slowisfast
Next time he rubs your shoulder, start rubbing his. Hard. With direct and intense eye contact.

I second this while telling him never to touch you again, and then immediately afterwards:

originally posted by: Nyiah
ignore him entirely.

Engaging at all can be misleading to people like this, even if he asks you how you are or something work related and you respond at all, it is you engaging with him and he could take it the wrong way.

I have come across a couple people like this in the work place- but in my experiences... they were literally mentally handicapped people. They could drive, they could work and perform basic tasks, but they were "slow." You wouldn't pick up on it unless you knew about their histories, too, or unless someone else let you in on the know. They're "harmless" some would say but they have no concept of boundaries and that can be dangerous imo.

Once you catch wind of this type of person the best thing to do is literally ignore them, even if it seems rude, even if they ask you the same question a thousand times over and over again in under thirty seconds (it's happened to me), do not engage eye contact, walk away. It's really the best route to take imo. I have seen other girls try their best to be polite and continue to engage only to have their personal space invaded over and over again (the smelling of the hair, even hugging from behind without asking - I witnessed this myself because this girl told him she couldn't hug him anymore so he had to sneak attack hug her and his constant attention made her feel super uncomfortable, and there was the weird touching of the hands, shoulders, backs, you name it).

You say it is not harassment, but in my book it is. Specially when you asked them not to and they continue to do it. And I am disgusted by people who shrugged it off saying "oh he's harmless." Because a person that doesn't understand boundaries is harmless, really?

On the other hand I have been harassed by non mentally handicapped folk too, and that was much different, much much different. I didn't win in those battles, not one of them. Not a good HR experience with that either but I'm betting since nobody cares about mentally slow folk then it'll be safe to say that your issue should be taken care of.

Lol, maybe I'm still a little bitter about my situation.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

If he brings it back to you after being reprimanded its terminable as retaliation.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: TinySickTears

If he brings it back to you after being reprimanded its terminable as retaliation.

im heading in now.
going to print the letter off and forward it to another email as well.

been all worked up about this all weekend

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
well it went ok so far. got myself worked up for nothing

i talked to the supervisor as soon as she got in and she said she would talk to him and she understands. after it happened she told me she did. did not say what was said. really dont care.
i asked if he seemed to get it and she said yes.

i saw the dude a couple times today and he just kept on going.

so we will see

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join