It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HOLY BLOWOUTs, Batman!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

So was the wife screaming the whole time or was it a white knuckle episode for her ? Good to hear you had enough automatic reaction rather then a stop and think moment . oh and that you survived

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

No, she just screamed the once. Well, I don't know really, she might have been screaming the whole time, but I didn't hear it. I was totally focused on trying to drive, and it was deafening anyway. In fact, my ears are still kind of ringing. I'm not kidding when I say it sounded like a BOMB went off! I don't think I've ever heard anything quite so loud (and I shoot guns too!) Just rocked our world when that tire blew. Probably would have killed someone if they were standing nearby.

It was a 10-ply load range 'E' truck tire, inflated to 80psi, that blew.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

It was a 10-ply load range 'E' truck tire, inflated to 80psi, that blew.
So you don't really have anyway of figuring out what the failure was because of the lack of evidence left over . I have had front blow and then go flat so with a bit of warning , kind of . But they never cause the damage you described other then the truck getting a bit squirreley for a bit . Have you checked the tire manufacture to see if maybe there were a bad batch come off the line ?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

There wasn't enough left of the tire for any forensics really, it was chunks and pieces all over the place. Plus, it was on the freeway and by that point traffic was backed up all over the place, some stopped. And the tire beat the snot out of the truck as I was slowing down which further destroyed what was left of the tire (and my truck).

I did think about that though, but there wasn't enough of it left.

When I got back I called my tire guy and he said there are no recalls on the tire, so it wasn't that.

It was about 106F outside yesterday, so I'm thinking the tire just got hot and blew. The roadway surface was probably about 150-160F. Normally a tire will blow if it's underinflated, but I checked the pressure before I left and it was good. I don't know, maybe I holed it on something along the way and it was leaking, but that puppy went off like someone threw a hand grenade under my truck!

ETA...just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about; my hood latch was bound up when I tried to open the hood (had to pry it open with a big screw driver). No debris made it up that high, so the only thing which could have done that was the air pressure from the blast and the concussion.

edit on 6/30/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Yea tires can have a mind of their own sometimes . I once ran from Winnipeg to Truro with a flat on a inside trailer tire and the sucker never even broke the bead ...

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

HOLY BLOWOUTs, Batman!!

I clicked so fast than sonic boom

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Some pretty slick drivin' there cowboy. Glad everyone is okay. Sorry about the truck.

I know what you mean about the sound of the blow-out. We were coming home from a vacation up north back a few years ago and were on the multi-lane interstate that circles Cincinnati when a tire on a semi that was directly beside my passenger seat blew out. Like you, I thought at least someone had fired a shotgun. Debris was smacking the car and I was happy that my window wasn't all the way down because if it had been that piece of tire that just smacked the window with tremendous force would have smacked me up side the head.

And yeah, I know about those jello knees that follow the adrenaline.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Yeah, I'd say!! You're lucky it didn't break the window. I was talking with a truck driver the other day who was bemoaning the use of retreads on trucks and was telling me about another driver he knew that had one blow out and the tread smashed through the windshield of a car behind him, badly injuring one of the occupants.

I know with mine, if someone would have been next to me when the tire blew, it would have taken out their windows. Debris flew everywhere.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Great story! Glad you made it through without injury and was able to keep the sunny side up and the dirty side down.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join