It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstellar Object 'Oumuamua' is 'Unexpectedly' Speeding Up

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
A tumbling, elongated "stick" venting gasses or whatever can hardly explain propulsion. Ever see Newton's third law in effect when the stick comes off your bottle rocket?.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Fricking aliens. They have the audacity to come to OUR solar system, float through without saying hello (although maybe Trumps threats to aliens put them off....still they could have dropped in for tea in London). Then they leave......b.stards.

On a serious note : Aliens absolutely would do "something" even it means avoiding human contact. We would see something "exploratory" like a landing on Mars or an asteroid, at the very least a few orbits to take a photo!

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
Fricking aliens. They have the audacity to come to OUR solar system, float through without saying hello (although maybe Trumps threats to aliens put them off....still they could have dropped in for tea in London). Then they leave......b.stards.

On a serious note : Aliens absolutely would do "something" even it means avoiding human contact. We would see something "exploratory" like a landing on Mars or an asteroid, at the very least a few orbits to take a photo!

yes they stick out ther butts to moon us all and say HA HA!!

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Interesting

IF! .... Oumuamua perhaps some kind of Probe... going across the Galaxy has something that NASA observers cant detect , some Acceleration or Deceleration type of Propulsion System , and its a Possible Modified Piece of Rock ( half a mile Long ) from Destroyed Moon ,Planet, acting as a Probe ..

I would Assume from at least a Type II Civilization..

It reminds me of the Alien Star Ship that Supposedly on the Back Side of the Moon AKA Apollo 20 Mission a Hoax or Not...

The big Question why would a probe be Ballistic like a Missile , well if it had enough Energy source too do a Entry of Planet or Moon .and Exit out , it would be Best too be that Shape right ? ..

We Have extra ordinary Mini Moons aka Captured Asteroids orbiting Mars Phobos and Deimos . which look Very unusual , and has some oddities on its surface and in Conspiracy Land.. they are Modified Rock Star Ships ..lol .

Most likely Phobos and Deimos are parts of a Once Planet hypothetical Planet Called Phaeton that had exploded 500,000 years ago which cause the Asteroid belt ..

well Thankfully this Now Claimed comet Oumuamua was not a Whale probe ! LOL

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Did think it was a ship of some sort when first hearing about it but why come so far only to fly by and then head back home?? Unless they're going to scan the Earth to see what's here?

I don't know what to make of it.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Oooyomama gonna whap y'all upside yo' head, jus' soon as she get here!

At least NASA came up with a goofy name, which fits perfectly with the comedy comet story.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: 727Sky

On coast to coast they were talking about the thing speeding up after it passed Saturn.
That would make sense, since it was getting closer to the Sun at the time.

Phage is probably correct as speed is a relative concept in some ways or our astrophysics kinda sucks.
Speed is relative. But the thing is, in physics, the term acceleration doesn't mean speeding up. It means a change in velocity. Any change. It means "speeding up", it means "slowing down", it means changing direction. It means a force is being exerted on an object. In this case that force is causing (caused) the object to not slow down quite as much as it should of, had there been no force but the gravity of the Sun acting upon it.

Should of? No educated man writes SHOULD OF. What’s going on here? Who are you, really?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Any chance it’s being “pulled” faster? Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz

Do yourself a favor, stop using the ridiculous kardashev or whatever civilization rating system. It's a not particularly funny joke that pretty directly contradicts everything we know so far about actual civilization and technological advancement!

Seriously, it's pure weapons grade derp of the highest order and when otherwise smart people try to sound smarter by using this ridiculous scale... They just look stupid.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm no astrophysicist but my understanding of comets is that they're "dirty snowballs" formed from left over bits from the formation of the solar system. This thing supposedly came from outside the solar system.

It also showed no evidence of outgassing when it did pass close to the sun, which is what comets do. Now it may be accelerating due to outgassing even though it's moving further away from the sun and is getting colder, which shouldn't happen if we go by the models of known comets.

Maybe these guys don't know as much about the universe as they think they know

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAiIsLying

It looks to me like the acceleration (which, in lay terms is actually a deceleration) started happening at a bit over 1 au from the Sun. So, not all that far and that puppy was moving fast.

I can visualize a pocket of volatile material beneath the inert surface of the object (comet). I can understand how the heat from perihelion could take a while to penetrate to it.

But I never said it isn't an alien probe. Not once.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I think it's a kinetic round fired in an ancient interstellar war. You watch Battlestar Galactica? They fired off millions of those puppies and most of them missed. Those things fly forever.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Cool.
I thought they were ballistic. Do they exhibit acceleration after launch?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Visions of the first Formic War books...

At least I really hope not, very interesting stuff, I hope they continue to observe and report on it.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: gortex

Did think it was a ship of some sort when first hearing about it but why come so far only to fly by and then head back home?? Unless they're going to scan the Earth to see what's here?

I don't know what to make of it.

On their way somewhere not interested in stopping somewhere else, slingshot maneuver around our sun gives the speed toward their objective.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The old series they were laser type weapons, but the new series were pretty much gattling cannons. They had missiles as well, which were the ballistics.

Just read the wikipedia entry on them to make sure I wasn't delusional and they make mention of something called a "kinetic energy weapon". I have no idea what that means

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   

I have no idea what that means

It means a weapon whose destructive capabilities are based on kinetic energy. Something heavy going fast. Rods of god, that sort of thing.

Like a bullet. Only bigger and faster.

edit on 7/2/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I love this topic.

The weird part of this object is
"observations of ‘Oumuamua show that the interstellar object is not following the well-understood laws of celestial mechanics, which suggests another force is altering its movement through space.”
Split all the hairs you want but basically this thing is not conforming to our known laws of physics correct?
I was looking at pictures of it's path through our solar system and it looks so odd to me where it entered and as it passed our Sun it began to change it's acceleration and took like a 90 degree turn! Weird.
We had it all wrong, It just had to re-energize and as soon as it was topped off it was outta here!! "Boosters engaged and ready to jump to hyper drive captin"
Safe space travel to you guys please visit again

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
On coast to coast they were talking about the thing speeding up after it passed Saturn... Bill Burns was interviewed.. I was wondering if someone would take the time to post...

Phage is probably correct as speed is a relative concept in some ways or our astrophysics kinda sucks.

Just a foot note... There have been no actual pictures of the object and everything you see picture wise is an artist conception based upon the light reflective properties observed when it was closer in... Something I did not know personally. Everything I have read says it was tumbling; spin it to keep you feet on the inside surface... I guess they do not have artificial gravity in that case... Primitives !! We should broadcast Star Trek or Star Wars at them and scare them off..

I don’t think there’s any indication that it’s spinning. We haven’t directly seen it. Apparently all the simulations show spinning only because that’s how people imagined it.

I bet it’s flying straight without turning.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: EternalSolace

acceleration and decelleration are two different things.

Never took a physics class? Not even high school?
Deceleration is not really a thing. In physics. It's a change in vectors. Acceleration.

C'mon, next you're going to tell me there's centripetal force but not centrifugal force!!!

Madness I tell you!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join