It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are American people so hung up on women having abortions ?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Just stay away from me and my personal rights.

Remember that.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I have no intentions of going anywhere near you, thanks. The lack of empathy is way too strong for me.

"I had both a spontaneous abortion and an elective one. I see no difference."

And that statement, right there, sums this entire issue up.

You simply don't care. Spontaneous ones happen, we had them. The difference between the two is pretty straight forward.

1. Spontaneous happens and is very heart wrenching to the couple.

2. Elective ones were an informed choice made to kill another human.

Just the fact that I have to point that out is ASTOUNDING.

I'm really glad I don't know you in person.

Fred..

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: fredrodgers1960

I would constantly wonder who it was that I DECIDED to kill.

Highly emotive words ......

You cannot kill what cannot live independently.

A woman's psyche is such that she would kill for what she already has

and sees no point on dwelling on what ifs, maybe's fantasy and dreams .......

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: fredrodgers1960

That's subjective. There's as many different pregnancies and circumstances as there are people on Earth. It's not a basic black and white topic. Why no empathy for those in the grey area?

Spontaneous ones aren't automatically heart wrenching for a couple, most occur in the first three weeks after fertilisation and a woman isn't pregnant until week four (zygote makes it to uterus). In these cases it would be visible or detectable so the couple wouldn't even know it ever happened. General advice is not to tell people/gets hopes up until four month mark where miscarriage would be unlikely.

As development goes on survival and complexity increases exponentially. For me personally as a foetus matures and takes on more human characteristics. I see no difference in spontaneous or elective until week 18, and acceptable for medical/ex certs until week 24 when it starts to develop capacity to live outside the mother (around week 29).

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I have no intentions of going anywhere near you, thanks. The lack of empathy is way too strong for me.

"I had both a spontaneous abortion and an elective one. I see no difference."

And that statement, right there, sums this entire issue up.

You simply don't care. Spontaneous ones happen, we had them. The difference between the two is pretty straight forward.

1. Spontaneous happens and is very heart wrenching to the couple.

2. Elective ones were an informed choice made to kill another human.

Just the fact that I have to point that out is ASTOUNDING.

I'm really glad I don't know you in person.

Fred..

Procreation is not a "gift" -- it's simply a biological process.

Any idiot can procreate (excluding those physically unable to)

Man has evolved in the knowledge not to have irresponsible breeding.

I celebrate each individual who has taken this responsibility on to them self and made the decision to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

They are to be commended.

edit on 1-7-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It's 100% human as you say. Glad you agree. As far as viable people in comas aren't viable they can't live on their own. Ok to kill them?

it's not an adequate comparison, comatose patients are often moved from hospital to nursing home, and maybe sometimes back home. you cant really do that with a fetus, can you?
also, if one of the caretakers of that comatose patient is sick and can't care for the patient, an alternative caretaker can be brought in easily to provide the care. doesn't matter how sick a mother is, she's it!!! even if the fetus is the cause of her illness.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Women that were young and impressionable were very influenced by the rhetoric of the late 60's and early 70's regarding the feminist movement. It was called the Women's Lib movement and Helen Reddy was singing "I Am Woman" (hear me roar). Helen Gurley Brown and Cosmopolitan Magazine encouraged women to be more sexually liberated and "let it all hang out". Girls ate it up.

It became very unfashionable for married women to stay home. If you didn't work outside the home, you were made to feel like an unenlightened prude. Put those kids in day care and get out there in the man's world!

The word 'housewife' became something to be scorned. (Later, our time, it turned into "stay-at-home mom"....and that suddenly became okay. Go figure.)

Girls were "inspired". The Pill was becoming more mainstream and women were burning their bras, among other things.

When the abortion issue went to the Supreme Court, there was no way in hell that train was going to be stopped.

Something was gained, but a whole lot was lost.

But, those women of that generation that were vulnerable to social manipulation and counter culture rhetoric, maintained that mindset. They are in their late 60's and 70's now and aborting an emerging life doesn't mean that much to them. It was the way their generation thought and you can't teach old dogs new tricks.

I think abortion is on the decline. I think one day, we will look back on that period of time and be appalled that we actually passed such a law (Roe v Wade). We will be as appalled at the practice of abortion as we now are at the thought we were allowed to own slaves. It will be repulsive and abhorrent to even consider.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Women that were young and impressionable were very influenced by the rhetoric of the late 60's and early 70's regarding the feminist movement. It was called the Women's Lib movement and Helen Reddy was singing "I Am Woman" (hear me roar). Helen Gurley Brown and Cosmopolitan Magazine encouraged women to be more sexually liberated and "let it all hang out". Girls ate it up.

It became very unfashionable for married women to stay home. If you didn't work outside the home, you were made to feel like an unenlightened prude. Put those kids in day care and get out there in the man's world!

The word 'housewife' became something to be scorned. (Later, our time, it turned into "stay-at-home mom"....and that suddenly became okay. Go figure.)

Girls were "inspired". The Pill was becoming more mainstream and women were burning their bras, among other things.

When the abortion issue went to the Supreme Court, there was no way in hell that train was going to be stopped.

Something was gained, but a whole lot was lost.

But, those women of that generation that were vulnerable to social manipulation and counter culture rhetoric, maintained that mindset. They are in their late 60's and 70's now and aborting an emerging life doesn't mean that much to them. It was the way their generation thought and you can't teach old dogs new tricks.

I think abortion is on the decline. I think one day, we will look back on that period of time and be appalled that we actually passed such a law (Roe v Wade). We will be as appalled at the practice of abortion as we now are at the thought we were allowed to own slaves. It will be repulsive and abhorrent to even consider.

I agree on all points. I have been told that "my ancestors owned slaves" which to me is appalling. None of my known ancestors ever owned another person, even the thought makes my blood curl.

I just simply can't get why anyone would even remotely want to kill a child.

Fred..

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

"They are to be commended. "

CONGRATS!! You just ended the life of another human, AWESOME, HIGH FIVE!! WOOHOO!!!

Said no moral person on this or any other planet.

Fred..

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I just simply can't get why anyone would even remotely want to kill a child.

I can't either, Fred, but it is probably best not to judge the ole gals that did it and still have that mindset. They are/were a product of some heavy duty social influences and social engineering of those times. Best to let those old dogs lie.

edit on 1-7-2018 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I grew up in the 60's and 70's... my mom worked, we had a canning factory that was mostly manned by women, young and old along with the summer help that was mostly high school kids. there were plenty of women working!!! just about all my teachers until high school were women, as were the store clerks at the local drugstores, the waitresses in the restaurants, the lady sitting in the ticket booth at the local cinema.

and guess what, there were not day care centers to drop the kids off back then... they didn't come till later. I was the youngest child, I was shifted around like the sack of unwanted potatoes no one wanted to deal with and often my siblings just weren't gonna deal with me and I ended up spending the night either with my father while he worked or with my mom while she worked. other families had extended family members close by that they relied on.
but, there were plenty of women working..

if anything, I think you are describing the views of those that were living way past the other side of the tracks that I was living on. you know, the ones living in the mansions with their maids and servants, and nannies caring for their kids. for many, at least around my circle of friends, there was never a question of weather mom should be working or staying at home.

edit on 1-7-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

"They are to be commended. "

CONGRATS!! You just ended the life of another human, AWESOME, HIGH FIVE!! WOOHOO!!!

Said no moral person on this or any other planet.

Fred..

Exactly how many unwanted kids have you put your money where you mouth is and adopted?

Before you belittle, take stock of how you're helping those people straddling the abortion line out. Have you ever done anything other than spout off? No? Then instead of getting s#ty about abortions, MAN UP AND ADOPT THE EXISTING UNWANTED ONES. You know, that "lead by example" thing. You cannot tell people to birth kids they don't want if you're not willing to take them yourselves. All that makes you is a loudmouth hypocrite no one will give a second glance at.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

My wife had 7 miscarriages before we finally had our daughter. Each of those was as tragic as the next.

I'm going to get a little harsh here, and maybe it'll make you rethink your stance. Maybe not. But it should make you at least consider being in the wrong for many reasons.

One would think after 7 miscarriages that you'd get the hint that biologicals weren't a wise choice to pursue, especially looking at the preemie claim. Why did you not bother to adopt? There's plenty of kids out there waiting for families that want kids but can't have them.
Instead, you chose to effectively create 7 hopeless kids who never saw the light of day. But that's OK, and abortion isn't? I find that mindset to be very callous, serial miscarriage couples are just as rife for criticism from the pro-life crowd as anyone else is based on irresponsible procreating. You knew something was wrong with one of you that kept killing your offspring, and you kept going at it anyway. To me, there's little to no difference between a choice abortion, and winging ANOTHER pregnancy knowing the odds are none.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Trump said he's not asking that question. Try again?

Trump is a known serial liar.

Besides, Gorsuch actually wrote a paper on Roe V Wade, so Trump didn't have to ask. Most judges who consider themselves Supreme Court material write papers on controversial legal decisions. I have no doubt that whoever Trump nominates will have a known opinion on the subject, so that Trump won't have to "ask" during his interview.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Sookiechacha

That's arbitrary wording, not science. Science says that fetus is a human life, it's not debatable. It's a fact.

It's a gestating "human" life. But it isn't a person yet.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic
Unless male pregnancies (an oxymoron) have become reality, your title could be simplified.

Anyway, I'm pro-choice. As a male, I simply do not see how I have the right to decide about pregnancies for people who people can have them. I cannot get into the feminine mind. This is not a decision of a moment; it can have life-long repercussions. Who am I to tell feminine kind what they can and cannot do with their own bodies, when they have to wear the emotional and physical consequences, and I don't?

PS: this is not only an American issue. Please, expand your horizons a little, ok? There are women all over the world who get pregnant when they don't want to.

95% of the world's population are not Americans!

edit on 1/7/18 by JustMike because: Coding error in last line.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

its more probable that politicians do this to rally their base

True, plus unwanted children are more likely to be uneducated and can be manipulated into voting for stupid things which is what conservatives want.

Like the rest of my post said both sides do this....or do you not think the left uses the hollow threat of Roe vs Wade being repealed to rally its equally stupid and manipulated base.

why do I have to get health insurance? for example isn't it my body my choice?

I want less government involvement, on this issue at the very least it should be decided in the medical field and not some political football.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

The how many have you adopted argument.

In 1964 when I graduated high school I had planned on joining the Navy, then going on to college to get a double degree in nursing & education -- so, I could join the Peace Corp -- and help children around the world.

LIVING CHILDREN is not a new platform for me.

But, because of a physical condition, I could not do that.

I actually married a man who was adopted, planned in having 4 children. 2 biological & 2 adopted.

However, turned out my husband was jealous of his own children -- he did not want to share me.

I chose my LIVING CHIILDREN over all else. Terminating a pregnancy at the same time I filed for divorce.

Got any more questions?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I grew up in the 50s when gender roles were still forced by society.

It sucked.

Men gained just as much freedom from the Women's Rights movement.

I was a stay at home mom, by the way.

And NO -- there was no stigma or insults toward me for making that choice.

Extreme sensationalizing -- does not present a valid argument.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
a reply to: Nyiah

The how many have you adopted argument.

In 1964 when I graduated high school I had planned on joining the Navy, then going on to college to get a double degree in nursing & education -- so, I could join the Peace Corp -- and help children around the world.

LIVING CHILDREN is not a new platform for me.

But, because of a physical condition, I could not do that.

I actually married a man who was adopted, planned in having 4 children. 2 biological & 2 adopted.

However, turned out my husband was jealous of his own children -- he did not want to share me.

I chose my LIVING CHIILDREN over all else. Terminating a pregnancy at the same time I filed for divorce.

Got any more questions?

It wasn't directed at you (pretty sure you know that) but thanks for sharing some of your background. Helping existing kids is a dedication you've always been very vocal about on here, and frankly, I can't understand why people don't give a s# about the impoverished, abused, unwanted, etc kids that already exist in favor of one that isn't wanted in the first place and would just join those ranks and keep it a growing underbelly of neglect & abandonment.

I pose the question to the pro-lifers because they don't appear to be particularly pro-life if they can't commit to helping those already in a living hell before demanding more be born. That's just being pro-growing population at that rate.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join