It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are American people so hung up on women having abortions ?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
For those arguing that a fetus isn't a life because it's incapable of surviving on its own, I'd like to point out that a newborn baby that has been brought to full term is also incapable of surviving on its own. Does that mean it should be legal to kill infants too?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: neutronflux

Is a woman's body her property or not?

So women are now property?

Our bodies are the fundamental thing we own, man or woman.

Next?

You are the one that poorly equated self control/rule to property. I don’t think of my body as property? Any more poorly worded arguments?

LOL ... you haven't read John Locke I take it? No matter.

Now you got to use a man to justify my body is not property, but human?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No you're making another strawman argument - I never claimed you cani't be human in a uterus, why make it up? Stages of pregnancy go from human embryo, prenatal human, human foetus before reaching

'Life vs Alive' is all to do with CNS -eggs are alive, sperm are alive but people don't get prosecuted for murder. 26 weeks of gestation the internationally recognized point of becoming a human being.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov... How is basing it on foetal devlopment emotional? It's based on the logic that it's universally accepted that our intellect separates humans from animals, CNS is required to feel and to have what can be considered a brain, it's the move to the third trimester.

From 26-28 weeks onwards a foetus is seen as having enough of the basic building blocks of life to be classed as 'a moral person' in medical ethics/law. It's the first possible point of sentience or feeling, having any capacity to suffer during abortion or be aware of it's own existence. Having it a month before this period eliminates any possibility of undue harm caused.
edit on 1-7-2018 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: bastion

So your definition is now you can't be a human inside a uterus? Why not?

How is it alive but not life?

Your arguments are emotional, zero logic.

It is a potential life the same way an egg is a potential chicken/hen.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

I'm all for birth control. Confusing the two is a logical fallacy. Birth control is legal and available.

^^^^^ So is abortion

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

a reply to: AboveBoard

I seem to recall another life involved you're forgetting. I believe the 2 should discuss the abortion but ultimately it is the woman's body and her choice. But there is a term for ending a human life without just cause, maybe you can help remember what that's called.

I personally would never have an abortion. With my second son (unplanned), I was offered one due to him having an extreme heart malformation that would require multiple open-heart surgeries for a palliative (non-cure) and temporary solution that may or may not last until adulthood.

Our first son had just been diagnosed with autism and we were already overwhelmed. We chose to give him a chance and in spite of the ridiculous amount of medical costs and the horrors of the surgeries, we are very glad we did. I love him to infinity. Now I have to fight people who want to make pre-existing conditions a healthcare nightmare again, and who are actively trying to destroy his future.

So don’t you dare lecture me on the value of human life.

The point is, we CHOSE to go through an ordeal that not everyone is capable of managing. It’s taken years off my life to manage the care of my kids. Not every one can. This level of stress destroys families and lives and finances.

Your BELIEF that “human life begins at conception” should not destroy the lives of those women who do not have that belief. Science says otherwise and the legal standard is “viability” - when the child becomes separately “alive” from the mother.

And arguments against abortion from the right would have a lot more power if they didn’t already make it such a damn freaking battle to care for those kids once they are born.

I respect your right to choose for yourself how you interpret reality. I just don’t respect your desire to force your reality on everyone else.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

The first one has nothing to do with a fetus being a parsite. The second one is written by a correspondent, with none of the linked studies saying a fetus is a parasite. The last Two are abstracts. Maybe you should give them a read.

The placenta is an organ, not a parasite. There are no mammalian parasites.

edit on 1-7-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

At least we can be honest about that ... as the fundamental issue here is certainly not concern for life.

Sorry, it is for me.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Next?

You are the one that poorly equated self control/rule to property. I don’t think of my body as property? Any more poorly worded arguments?

LOL.

Yes, your "human" body is your property, if that is an important distinction ... I had assumed we were all humans here, I guess.

MY bad.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Most of us are not .But a few loud mouth bible thumpers are and the democrats want an adversary to make themselves Look like they fighting the good fight so they clash with the bible thumpers all the while not daring to say crap about the. CAtholic church whose main reason for being antiabortion is to be fruit full and multiply so you can give us your hard earned dollars so we can make the Vatican great again.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
During the Vietnam War, many soldiers got their girlfriends knocked up. Result, abortions. And this is Buddha country. Here in Asia, one goes to the hospital and has an abortion. No one really gives a flying shte. Why are Americans so hung up on others peoples personal lives. Crazy I tell ya.

As a man who cannot father a child, I think it's abhorrent to kill an unborn child. I'd give anything to be a father, and yet women just go and kill them if they wish. Imagine if I got a once in a lifetime shot at it, and then the woman just decides....nope! Too bad! Where's MY rights in that? My feelings don't matter?

Plus it takes away any personal responsibility. Sex is a gamble in many ways, pregnancy is but one of them. Use protection, do what you have to to prevent the conception of a child. It shouldn't be an afterthought.

Yes, in cases of rape, incest or physical harm to the mother I think there should be exceptions. However I knew a friend in the past who was a child of rape, and his mother decided that it wasn't his fault, and he was a great kid. She was in fact proud she raised him to NOT be like his father.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

As a man who cannot father a child, I think it's abhorrent to kill an unborn child. I'd give anything to be a father, and yet women just go and kill them if they wish.

Your personal problem.

I will not be a "Hand Maiden" for you.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Thanks for confirming the second part of that quote that you left out.

I thought the left was all about feelings. Obviously just not straight male's.

Hand Maiden....give me a break. I only have relations with women I'm in a committed relationship with, you call them hand maidens? I call them partners. Lovers. Friends.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

There is no belief, it's scientific fact.

Is the fetus alive?
What species is it?
Is it a separate unique organism?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Which has nothing to do with my post. Maybe you can show the relevance.

Fun fact, I have never advocated for abortion to be illegal, enjoy your logical fallacies.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No you're making another strawman argument - I never claimed you cani't be human in a uterus, why make it up?

Sorry, you did, I quoted you. You said the difference was the human was not inside the uterus. I'm glad you agree your argument is invalid.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Its a staple arguing point in American politics. Its used to provoke ppl since it brings up points on morality, religion, human choice, ethics, human rights and so on. Usually when some agenda is not getting completed the way its intended to ppl deflect the emphasis on to a subject that pisses everyone off.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Next?

LOL.

Yes, your "human" body is your property, if that is an important distinction ... I had assumed we were all humans here, I guess.

MY bad.

This argument will go on forever. IMO, once you know you are carrying an emerging life, your body is no longer just yours. But, I say tuh-may-toe and you say two-mah-toe....and the argument goes on and on. Meantime, millions of lives get snuffed out. Those that care hurt and speak out, and those that don't make excuses, and some ride the fence under the Choice banner. And life goes on....well, some life.

edit on 1-7-2018 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

What is the difference between murder and abortion?

TIME.

Fred..

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I support ALL LIVING CHILDREN.

I support EVERY LIVING CHILD on this planet is cared for, loved, sheltered, fed, educated, etc, etc, etc.

One asylum seeking mom says she fled with her 14 year old daughter - - when a local gang knocked on her door demanding her daughter as a Sex Slave.

LIVING CHILDREN

Where are all those anti-abortion supporters - - when it comes to how the kids are being treated at the border? Crickets Chirping.

'Pro-Life,’ Pro-Family Groups Are MIA On Family Separations At The Border

WASHINGTON ― Conservative groups that promote themselves as “pro-life” and “pro-family” are quietly supporting the Trump administration policy of separating immigrant children from their parents at the border, or refusing to weigh in at all. www.huffingtonpost.com...

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join