It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are American people so hung up on women having abortions ?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If God didn't want that life to enter the Earth realm, he wouldn't have put him/her here.

If a girl got pregnant and would die because of it unless she has an abortion , you would just say, "that's what god wanted," and let her die?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

If God didn't want that life to enter the Earth realm, he wouldn't have put him/her here.

If a girl got pregnant and would die because of it unless she has an abortion , you would just say, "that's what god wanted," and let her die?

I'm not aware of anyone who doesn't think that the life of the mother is not a valid reason for an abortion. That represents a small percentage of reasons why women get abortions, though.

The main reasons people have problems with abortions are:

* We don't want government funding through tax dollars
* It has been used as birth control/convenience
* It kills an innocent life
* It is often presented as the best method of dealing with an unwanted pregnancy
* It is often presented as a 'cure' for unwanted traits or gender
* Lately certain people have presented it as 'health care' which creates a perception that pregnancy is a sickness/disease

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

* Lately certain people have presented it as 'health care' which creates a perception that pregnancy is a sickness/disease

It's a condition that effects the health and well being of the woman.

I'm not aware of anyone who doesn't think that the life of the mother is not a valid reason for an abortion.

The quality of life after pregnancy is also part of "life".

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
I've noticed that people who say abortion is "no big deal" were never aborted.

What do you remember from before you were born?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

The argument I was referring to is the one that says, "if you get pregnant it's because god wanted you to therefore abortion must be evil."

So did god want that girl to die or is abortion (murder) good sometimes?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
We should abort everyone.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Some of us consider the unborn child an individual.

Those of us that do not believe that a bunch of un-feeling , un-thinking cells is a child do not deserve to be called murderers.

Might as well say that every girl who has a period and every man that masturbates is a murderer.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If all life is important, why do we justify war? It's still murdering innocent people who don't share the same ideology as we do. What about the killing of innocent civilians which we justify as collateral damage?

What about euthanasia? What's so bad about giving a person a peaceful death so they don't have to die in pain? We have no problem putting our pets out of pain and misery. Anyone who has had to watch a loved one lay in bed for months dying a painful death can relate to this. What's so inhumane about aborting a fetus that will have a lifetime of physical or mental hardships? What about all the early 1 or 2 week abortions that would have brought a child into a world to a single parent or to parents who can't afford to raise a child? Would we have enough families to adopt these children? Do we kill the mother giving birth and leave the spouse and living children motherless if the unborn child's life is a danger to it's mother?

Isn't this government getting involved in our personal lives? Shouldn't this be between the mother and her maker?

I don't think this is a clear black and white issue.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Speedtek
As Carlin put it, most people against abortion are people you would not want to f***k in the first place.

That is an astute observation, considering those who are against abortion are largely against adopting those unwanted kids they didn't want aborted to begin with. Which is morally deficient of them, IMO.

If one is to argue that everything fertilized should come to fruition, they should be more than willing to take on the mantle of raising what someone else does not want. And if they deign to say it's "not their job", I retort that yes, it in fact is. If you want the fertilized egg to come to fruition when the unwilling mom does not, you're effectively stepping up to adopt it months in advance. If this is rather unsavory, then it's time to reevaluate how important your pro-life opinion truly is to you. If you want to control what others are able to do or not do, then you MUST be prepared to handle the consequences of that.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

see the post above from burdman. why if someone kills a pregnant woman and her unborn child or just does something to her that causes the unborn child to die do they get charged with infanticide?

Because the woman not having had an abortion is therefor pregnant by choice

She has chosen to nurture a zygote for nine months at some cost to herself

ie. refraining from alcohol and certain foods for that time suffering backache,

swollen feet, sickness sleeplessness, bodily discomfort etc. and finally the birth

which many times is more difficult than what nature intended.

She has chosen to deliver an eventual human being....

Therefor the man being charged is killing what she has been nurturing into having

the capability of having a full life.
edit on 30-6-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

When does the fertilized egg become a human being? Which day?

The day it is capable of surviving outside of the woman's body ..... which is

currently between 26 and 27 weeks.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

I'm not aware of anyone who doesn't think that the life of the mother is not a valid reason for an abortion. That represents a small percentage of reasons why women get abortions, though.

The main reasons people have problems with abortions are:

* We don't want government funding through tax dollars
* It has been used as birth control/convenience
* It kills an innocent life
* It is often presented as the best method of dealing with an unwanted pregnancy
* It is often presented as a 'cure' for unwanted traits or gender

19% can't afford a baby right now

Do you suppose there is a way to reduce that?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

And how many "human beings" did you kill with jerking off?

Millions?
Billions?
Trillions?

Any educated guess?

You think a spermatozoa grows into a human?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: musicismagic

Because they're in a state of flux where morals are aligned to their faith, and paradox's abound because the breeding ground for life is subjective....

If single cells count as life then masturbation is mass murder - every sperm is sacred... ETA: Scientifically speaking a fetus/placenta is a parasite, it secretes phosphocholine to block proteins and protect it from being rejected by the host body (different genotype, a breakdown in this process causes pre eclampsia and miscarriage. Nematode worms use the process to stay alive in the host.

Agreed it's moral and subjective, what I don't understand is why people can't keep that choice between themselves and their significant other and feel they're entitled to remove the freedom/choice from others.

Hah, you just reminded me of the s#fits people had while I was knocked up and explaining the parasitic symbiosis foundation of pregnancy. Technically, most pregnancies that go well I think would be considered Commensalism symbiosis (one gains, the other neither benefits/gains nor suffers/loses anything) But the mere fact that a bunch of really dumb, ignorant people couldn't give 2 craps less about the process and all they heard was "parasite" out of it, and flipped their lids because "babies aren't parasites!!"...well, no wonder people can't so much as talk about reproductive choices. They can't even talk about what reproduction IS to the body without losing their minds.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: bastion

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Because they're in a state of flux where morals are aligned to their faith, and paradox's abound because the breeding ground for life is subjective....

If single cells count as life then masturbation is mass murder - every sperm is sacred... ETA: Scientifically speaking a fetus/placenta is a parasite, it secretes phosphocholine to block proteins and protect it from being rejected by the host body (different genotype, a breakdown in this process causes pre eclampsia and miscarriage. Nematode worms use the process to stay alive in the host.

Agreed it's moral and subjective, what I don't understand is why people can't keep that choice between themselves and their significant other and feel they're entitled to remove the freedom/choice from others.

Hah, you just reminded me of the s#fits people had while I was knocked up and explaining the parasitic symbiosis foundation of pregnancy. Technically, most pregnancies that go well I think would be considered Commensalism symbiosis (one gains, the other neither benefits/gains nor suffers/loses anything) But the mere fact that a bunch of really dumb, ignorant people couldn't give 2 craps less about the process and all they heard was "parasite" out of it, and flipped their lids because "babies aren't parasites!!"...well, no wonder people can't so much as talk about reproductive choices. They can't even talk about what reproduction IS to the body without losing their minds.

Parasites are of a different species than their host, so even for analogy purposes, the parasite talk is pseudoscience.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Some of us consider the unborn child an individual.

Those of us that do not believe that a bunch of un-feeling , un-thinking cells is a child do not deserve to be called murderers.

Might as well say that every girl who has a period and every man that masturbates is a murderer.

I suggest reading about haploid cells before commenting next time.

Educate yourself.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Because too many people want to stick their noses into the lives of other people and control what they do.

Also because too many people care about the lives of an unborn fetus and it's supposed rights.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Link me a per reviewed paper that proves that a few cells are the same as a child.

edit on 30-6-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Mandatory retroactive abortion to the 120th trimester?

Well, it's a hell of a platform anyway.

I dislike abortion, personally, but don't feel the need to tell other people what to do with their lives or bodies. While I respect a woman's right to choose, I claim my own as well, which is why I stopped dating a woman who told me she had aborted my child to hurt me. It later proved to be a BS story, but we still went separate ways. Her choice/my choice.

I don't believe for a second that human life begins at conception, but if you are going to abort, you should do it within the first trimester, where possible (health of the mother seems like a reasonable exclusion here).

I don't believe for a second that the will of God can be circumvented by abortion. If a child is meant to be here, it will get here eventually. Such a thing is impossible to prove, of course, as is everything about God and faith.

I find pro-life people who are also pro-death penalty a nuisance. I feel that way about everyone who doesn't bother to read widely before spouting their "opinion." (See also: the innocence project).

I find pro-war nationalists (from any country, but especially my own) far more threatening than I find abortion, but hypocrites abound and YMMV.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

originally posted by: watchitburn
And for all you right wing zealots, think of it this way. Every abortion is one less Democrat vote down the road.

You're actually investing in America's future when you support abortion.

Your lack of empathy is showing...
Put yourself in these shoes.
You get your girlfriend pregnant.
She wants an abortion.
You don't.
Guess who ultimately decides the babies fate.
Not you the male. Because that would be oppressive and wrong.
**** 3rd wave feminism...

Wow.

I guess you’ve never physically been pregnant. It’s a major deal. It’s not simply “oppressive “ to a woman, it’s enslavement and ultimate control over a woman and her body by a man if he is the “decider.”

So do you really think the man should decide? Do you think the man should control his girlfriend’s body and force her to give birth after 9 months of massive physical changes and risks?

I’m just curious. Is that what you meant? It kind of sounds like that’s what you meant, but I won’t put words in your mouth.

edit on 30-6-2018 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join