It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Susan Collins Signals she will support Trump SCOTUS pick

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Susan Collins spokesman said she,

will not apply an ideological litmus test to the nominee.

freebeacon.com...
That was what the dems were hoping for.

She has already supported all his picks except one.

Of the 25 names Trump has listed as potential nominees to the Court, Collins has supported all of the candidates nominated to a court during her time in the Senate except one, Judge William Pryor of the Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit.

Jeff Flake Flakes, Says He Won’t Block Trump’s Supreme Court Pick

nymag.com...

LIsa Murkowski = dems last hope

Sorry If this is in the wrong forum.
Mods please move if you could thanks
edit on 29-6-2018 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

Susan Collins said she
Source?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Thanks for this late-breaking news on a slow Friday. Didn't President Trump meet with Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, along with a few Democrats, last night?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Sorry I forgot the link but added it to the OP.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It would seem so

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a tweet that Trump met with Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, as well as GOP Sens. Susan Collins (Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (Alaska). “Tonight President Trump met with Senators Grassley, Collins, Murkowski, Manchin, Donnelly, and Heitkamp to discuss the Supreme Court vacancy. The President’s team also talked with more than a dozen other Senators today as part of ongoing outreach to get views and advice from both sides of the aisle on this important nomination," Sanders said in a separate statement.

thehill.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The full quote from your source:

"When Senator Collins evaluates judges, she always looks at their judicial temperament; qualifications; experience; and respect for precedent, the rule of law, and the Constitution," Collins spokeswoman Annie Clark told the Portland Press Herald.

Here's what Collins herself has said:

Just hours after Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy announced his retirement on Wednesday, Republican Sen. Susan Collins said that she sees Roe v. Wade, the landmark case that legalized abortion across the U.S., as "settled law."

"I view Roe v. Wade as being settled law," she said. "It's clearly precedent. I always look for judges who respect precedent."

www.cbsnews.com...

Interesting, right? She sees Roe v Wade as settled law. Precedent. Things that she looks for in a judge.
edit on 6/29/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Doesn't look like Murkowski is going to break ranks either,

But: Murkowski also said that Roe v. Wade wasn't going to make or break her vote: “It’s not as if those are the only matters that come before the Supreme Court.”

www.washingtonpost.com... ect=on&utm_term=.f151a6912260

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
President Trump will name his pick on Monday July 9th, before leaving to Europe, where he will meet with other leaders, including Vladimir Putin in a mini-summit.

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said Friday he will nominate a new Supreme Court justice on July 9, and that his list of five to seven finalists includes two women.
Source: www.usatoday.com...

(And maybe fire Rod Rosenstein on July 9th too.)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

to clarify,

Collins to judge Trump’s Supreme Court pick without ‘litmus tests’ such as Roe v. Wade support Her spokeswoman says Maine's Republican senator believes the landmark abortion ruling is settled law, and she won't use the issue to disqualify a candidate to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy.

www.pressherald.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

to clarify,

To clarify, that is the headline of the article. Neither Collins or her spokesperson said that.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
As long as it's an honest judge who can rule without bias, it should be be no problem.

But I agree that roe v wade is settled law. I don't see a reason for it to be revisited by the SCOTUS.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Her spokeswoman says Maine's Republican senator believes the landmark abortion ruling is settled law, and she won't use the issue to disqualify a candidate to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy.

www.pressherald.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

That's the subtitle of the article. That's not what her spokeswoman said.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
President Trump said this afternoon on Fox Business that he did not ask candidate Neil Gorsuch about his views on Roe-vs-Wade, and he will not ask the candidates he's interviewing next week, either.
edit on 6/29/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

But I agree that roe v wade is settled law. I don't see a reason for it to be revisited by the SCOTUS.
Trump wants it overturned. He said that he would nominate judges which would do it. It's his litmus test.

But none of his nominees will answer a direct question about it. Watch.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
How stupid is this? Pro-Abortionists are sending COAT HANGERS to Susan Collins.
www.motherjones.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

It was stated more clearly in this article,

Sen. Susan Collins of Maine will not apply an ideological litmus test to the next Supreme Court nominee, her spokeswoman said Thursday. Collins’ position, which is consistent with her past practice on high court nominees, means she won’t factor a nominee’s support for the landmark abortion-rights ruling of Roe v. Wade into her confirmation decision.

www.pressherald.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
As long as it's an honest judge who can rule without bias, it should be be no problem.

Unless another case is brought before them and they have to revisit it.

List of overruled United States Supreme Court decisions

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

So, he lied in the debate?

WALLACE: But what I'm asking you, sir, is, do you want to see the court overturn—you just said you want to see the court protect the Second Amendment. Do you want to see the court overturn Roe v. Wade?

TRUMP: Well, if we put another two or perhaps three justice on, that's really what's going to be—that will happen. And that'll happen automatically, in my opinion, because I am putting pro-life justices on the court. I will say this: It will go back to the states, and the states will then make a determination.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

That's the same article.

<<   2  3 >>

join