It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Research Lab is talking a 'stealthy' tanker

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: BigDave-AR
Refueling more than one aircraft at a time works with smaller aircraft. It doesn't work with large aircraft like a B-1.

I wasn’t arguing that probe and drogue is they way to go, they both have there merits and downfalls. That being said you don’t gain a whole hell of a lot from a stealth tanker with the mainstay more legacy bombers like the B-52 and B-1B as there going to show out like a sore thumb behind a stealth tanker, defeating the point. Now B-2s and B-21s yeah it’s great but with the distribution of the bomber fleet now there are not enough of them to really make it worth it since they’re both very high endurance platforms to start with. Me thinks this is much more relevant for the the F-22 and F-35s I could be looking at it from the wrong angle but that’s my thinking on the matter anyway...

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

edit on 7/1/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Did my ignorance break the mighty Zaph?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Nope. Doing too many things at once and replied to something with something that was already said.
edit on 7/1/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It was my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, that there wouldn't be refueling over hostile air anyhow. The stealth would just allow for the positioning of tankers, unbeknownst to the enemy, around its territory. It's pretty easy to see where the hurt is coming from when you can find the tanker air bridge. And attack it. During this most recent Syrian strike the entire Mediterranean light up with tanker transponders the afternoon before the engagement. I'm under the impression, this is what the Air Force would like to avoid with the KC-X.

If the boom compromises the aircraft's stealth that's okay. We'd never refuel in range of anything anyhow. The stealth simply allows us perform better set pieces.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: aholic

They can't say what they will and won't do, until they know what they're working with. The current plan is to use them around the airspace, but if the design proves to be LO enough, that can change to anything from moving farther and farther in as defenses are knocked down, to going in right behind the strike guys.
edit on 7/2/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

They can't say what they will and won't do, until they know what they're working with. The current plan is to use them around the airspace, but if the design proves to be LO enough, that can change to anything from moving farther and farther in as defenses are knocked down, to going in right behind the strike guys.

That makes sense. Now about fueling the big bombers, do you think they would be servicing the the Bones and BUFFs? Or would this be mainly a platform for refueling other LO platforms such as the F-22s, F-35s, B-2, and B-21s? It seems like they would want to give priority to LO platforms and then if they happen to be in the area and a non LO platform needs fuel, or am I off base?

Hey Zaph if you want to start a tutoring program for us mere mortals I for one would be glad to pay.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

The heavies will take on enough fuel and be releasing weapons with enough range they won't cross into hostile air most of the time. The JASSM-ER has an almost 700 mile range IIRC. I'm too lazy to look up the exact figure right now, but they can release it well clear of hostile air. In a China situation, they can refuel near Guam or Japan, get to their release points, and back to the tanker without an intermediate refueling.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   

The heavies will take on enough fuel and be releasing weapons with enough range they won't cross into hostile air most of the time. The JASSM-ER has an almost 700 mile range IIRC. I'm too lazy to look up the exact figure right now, but they can release it well clear of hostile air. In a China situation, they can refuel near Guam or Japan, get to their release points, and back to the tanker without an intermediate refueling.

I wasn’t even thinking stand off weapons, I’m gonna chock that one up to lack of sleep, if sir approves...

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

You have a PM. Click on the letter icon on the upper right corner of the page, please.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Like hooking a fire hose up to a garden hose..

Your only as fast as your slowest part.

Etc...

Seems like this release is a bit behind the times, some interesting shapes in there

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join