It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Research Lab is talking a 'stealthy' tanker

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is obviously second hand and given the source, take with large grain of salt. After all, concepts are developed and thrown around so often that you'd swear the Pentagon is a breeding ground for catholic rabbits...but very, very, very few of those idea bunnies make it into the real world. Most are just more work by the Power Point Rangers. Even so, this isn't the first time we've heard the KC-Z might be something stealthy.

Behold! The latest iteration! The AFRL's Advanced Aerial Refueling concept.

And that's pretty much it.

Rogoway et al go on ALOT about a model and, as I said, very few concepts make it into the real world. He states he's heard chatter there is a joint tanker/SOF transport being considered, if not developed. I'd look at that with a huge grain of salt. I do think there might be a need for a stealthy transport. I do think - if it were possible! - that a stealthy tanker would be great. OTOH...not so sure how you get the boon or drogue to be...stealthy. And combining the two? erm...joint thing rarely go well.

Chew and ponder.

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

The boom has been the issue since the idea was first brought up a number of years ago. It's easy to hide it when it's stowed, but not so much when extended. They've tried a few things that seem to work reasonably well.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Its like a B2 and B1 mated with the Tacit Blue

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

And those things remain undisclosed. damnit.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: nepatitan

It most likely will be a blended wing design in the end. Not as inherently stealthy as a flying wing, but reduced RCS, and more room for cargo and fuel.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Here I was hoping for a cranked kite...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

That thing would be huge for a 200,000 pound offload fuel load.
edit on 6/29/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The boom has been the issue since the idea was first brought up a number of years ago. It's easy to hide it when it's stowed, but not so much when extended. They've tried a few things that seem to work reasonably well.

A stealth tanker that’s a novel concept I would think the boom it’s self wouldn’t be hard to cowl with a stealthier shape and RAM but the control services for it would be a tricker deal. Would a Naval drogue type setup have a lower RCS? Seems like it would but that doesn’t do much good seeing except for the Navy and Corps flyboys....

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

You might be able to reduce the signature of a drogue quite a bit, but it would only work for smaller aircraft.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

You might be able to reduce the signature of a drogue quite a bit, but it would only work for smaller aircraft.

Well pie in the Sky thoughts but a small carrier borne tanker UAV would make a nice toy for the toolbox eh?
ETA- After looking at the model it looks like that was a rush job for whoever made the model the finish on its pretty bad me thinks they need to start 3D printing there models if they’re not gonna take any pride in there work

edit on 6/29/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

That's what Stingray is supposed to be, not that I expect it to meet what they want it to do.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It's hideous.

They need someone from Sukhoi to pretty it up.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

That's what Stingray is supposed to be, not that I expect it to meet what they want it to do.

You Sir are a buzzkill I thought I had me a slick lil’ idea and marketing plan worked up in my mind.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   

It flying. Wow. See my post from last year. That is the exact plane I was seeing! Awesome.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: bryan2006
I don't post or reply much on here, but if someone can find the link to the post I had going last... Actually I think almost two years ago now.? That is exactly what I saw multiple times flying in Alaska and I had other friends see it too. It is also very quiet.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Probably have to use chines like the SR71. At best they could deflect the radar signal or absorb it. Unless they try and use that new-fangled invisible shield rings

physicsworld.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Chines are used for airflow adjustment, usually to improve stability, not RCS reduction. They're actually bad for signal reduction because they're usually at or near right angles.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Probe and drogue systems are not good for transferring large amounts of fuel quickly. That's why the Air Force uses the boom system.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Probe and drogue systems are not good for transferring large amounts of fuel quickly. That's why the Air Force uses the boom system.

The boom can offload quicker but I thought this became more or less a draw when you have 2-3 drogues and can service them all at once. Fuel transfer speed isn’t going to be as big a factor if they get the stealthy tanker worked out as both the tanker and receiving craft would be less vulnerable during refueling by being harder to detect at range so they can take more time.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Two or three drogues means two or three aircraft, not multiple connections to one aircraft. Interestingly, when ground refueling, if you plug in multiple trucks to an aircraft, it slows the fuel intake way down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join