It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we are going to MAGA why are we promoting Foxconn and "warning" Harley?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm not a bike rider and don't have any ties to Harley.

I have question what is going on when we are promoting a Taiwanese company like it is the second coming of Christ, and were are giving Harley the big ol' boot.

Harley is an iconic American brand, the same can't be said about Foxconn. Just imagine if we gave American companies the tax breaks that we are giving Foxconn. They are literally robbing Americans of their land for this company. It is a disgrace!

How backward is it that American companies have to go overseas to do business and foreign companies are coming here because of the generous incentives!

edit on 29-6-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I'm not a bike rider and don't have any ties to Harley.

I have question what is going on when we are promoting a Taiwanese company like it is the second coming of Christ, and were are giving Harley the big ol' boot.

Harley is an iconic American brand, the same can't be said about Foxconn. Just imagine if we gave American companies the tax breaks that we are giving Foxconn. They are literally robbing Americans of their land for this company. It is a disgrace!

How backward is it that American companies have to go overseas to do business and foreign companies are coming here because of the generous incentives!

It is apparent you do not understand .
Because of the righting of the tariff situation , Harley was threatening to move their operations offshore .
Foxconn was denied doing business in the US due to CFIUS

Very much different situations

So , now you are informed.
Fulfilled my duties to ATS
I can feel at ease now.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Trump did not force Harley to do this, this is Harley's response to the EU tariff policy the created to get back at America for the Republicans not bowing down to them. Notice this, the people who benefit by us buying more from them than they buy from us are the ones complaining and raising up counter tariffs. There was a tariff already charged on Harleys by Germany before all of this, our country had no tariffs on most stuff coming from Germany. Germany's five percent before was reasonable, and on top of that, Germany doesn't sell that much steel to the US anyway. Our tariff would have been about the same as their tariff they charge for goods their people buy from America, now they boosted it to twenty five percent so they can rape America.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It probably has something to do with adding more jobs to the American job market. While Harley is threatening to ship it's jobs off shore, Foxconn (who supplies electronic equipment to major American companies) is bringing jobs here. I don't understand how they are "robbing Americans of their land" by paying them to be on that land. Genuinely confused at the problem with this.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Harley was threatening to move their operations offshore .

Actually, it seems that they actually are moving the production of bikes for the Euro market offshore.
Unless you think they were "threatening" the EU, since is their tariffs which Harley is responding to.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

I'm local to the area and hear stories that might night make it nationwide. When Foxconn wanted to build in Wisconsin they got a good portion of the land they wanted. There was a small portion that people were not wanting to sell, as these people just built brand new houses on that land. Those that held out were "will be subject to the use of eminent domain for road widening." When that didn't work, they were labeled "blighted". Isn't is interesting that land that was perfectly suitable to build a brand new house can be called "blighted" at the turn of a hat, or dollar in the pocket??? I'll call that robbing Americans of their land, I don't know what you call it.

www.jsonline.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Because Harley is shipping jobs OUT of the U.S. and Foxconn is bring jobs INTO the U.S. Easy enough for you to understand?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I'm local to the area and hear stories that might night make it nationwide. When Foxconn wanted to build in Wisconsin they got a good portion of the land they wanted. There was a small portion that people were not wanting to sell, as these people just built brand new houses on that land. Those that held out were "will be subject to the use of eminent domain for road widening." When that didn't work, they were labeled "blighted". Isn't is interesting that land that was perfectly suitable to build a brand new house can be called "blighted" at the turn of a hat, or dollar in the pocket??? I'll call that robbing Americans of their land, I don't know what you call it.

www.jsonline.com...

I'm not local to the area, and as there were no links or sources in your OP, I was not aware of that information.

Land seizure by imminent domain happens all the time, and it's a topic all on it's own. Are these people going to be financially compensated fairly for their properties?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Harley was threatening to move their operations offshore .

Actually, it seems that they actually are moving the production of bikes for the Euro market offshore.
Unless you think they were "threatening" the EU, since is their tariffs which Harley is responding to.

So , you agree with my assessment of the Harley "situation"
How about the comparison between the Foxconn and the Harley "situations" as stated by the OP ?
That was my point after all

edit on 6/29/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
For the record:

Milwaukee, April 1, 2014 — Harley-Davidson, Inc. (HOG) has announced agreement to be acquired by Japanese owned Kawasaki Motor Company LTD today, Tuesday, April 1, 2014 for an undisclosed sum

www.google.com...

Harley already has a number of plants outside of the US. They have produced bikes in manufacturing plants in Thailand, India, and Brazil and of course in the USA. Where do you think it cost less to make a Harley?

Not in Minnesota for sure. The bikes produced for the overseas market more than likely shipped from the overseas plants not from the US. And the tariffs would not have come into play for those sales but have provided Harley, a non American company a good exercise to move more operations out and reduce the bottom line.

edit on 6/29/2018 by DJMSN because: Addition

edit on 6/29/2018 by DJMSN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

No. I disagree. I don't think Harley was "threatening" anything. I think they are moving production of bikes for the Euro market.

As far as the OP goes, while somewhat overstated perhaps, it's accurate. The trade policies of the administration seem to be causing as much harm as good, if not more.

I'm all for direct foreign investment in the US. Seems odd though, a short while ago a lot of people were screaming about how China was "buying" the US. How they were going to call in all that debt they own and ruin us. Now it's all good.

edit on 6/29/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Most of the people that sold were fairly compensated at 140% however a small group, around 20% were not going to be fairly compensated because the land was declared blighted. What they were offering per acre was also not considered fair.

www.chicagotribune.com...

"Most homeowners in the area have agreed to sell their property or will be subject to eminent domain. But a dozen property owners filed a federal lawsuit in January, arguing that the village's use of eminent domain is unconstitutional because it's for private rather than public benefit.

They also say the offers for their properties are too low."

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

No. I disagree. I don't think Harley was "threatening" anything. I think they are moving production of bikes for the Euro market.

As far as the OP goes, while somewhat overstated perhaps, it's accurate. The trade policies of the administration seem to be causing as much harm as good, if not more.

No answer yet ?
Foxconn was restricted by CFIUS regulations for using electronic parts from China .

The "threat" from Harley is the cost of the tariffs of importing bikes from other foreign branches of Harley. Has absolutely zilch to do with the European branches of Harley Davidson doing business in any other countries . However , if those foreign branches export to the US , they would fall under the same tariffs as any other foreign corporation

Although , I do somewhat disagree with the tariffs laid on a US based country even for equipment manufactured outside
But , back to my point

There is absolutely no comparison between the two examples.

You still havent answered why you believe they should be the same
Just dancing around the subject again

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Do you even know what Foxconn is Op?
I hate to admit it but if I had a choice of what company operated in the US I'd pick the one that is profitable. Apple or Harley...
My vote is Apple.
Harley can stay if they can survive making overpriced garbage.
edit on 29-6-2018 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Foxconn was restricted by CFIUS regulations for using electronic parts from China .
And?

The "threat" from Harley is the cost of the tariffs of importing bikes from other foreign branches of Harley.
No. It's the cost of US built Harleys in Europe. The tariffs increase the price of a Harley in Europe by $2,200. Not good for sales.

I don't think that the US has motorcycle tariffs. In any case, I'm pretty sure they sell US made bikes in the US.

Maybe now an answer...
Answer to what?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

And?

The "threat" from Harley is the cost of the tariffs of importing bikes from other foreign branches of Harley.
No. It's the cost of US built Harleys in Europe.
I don't think that the US has motorcycle tariffs. In any case, I'm pretty sure they sell US made bikes in the US.

Maybe now an answer...
Answer to what?

How bout my original question , you so deftly are ignoring and dancing around.(of which I performed an adequate rebuttal)
Why do YOU feel that the two are the same issue with trade ? (appears as if the OP is not going to post a riposte)

Again (I hope for the last time) , Foxconn was restricted for using electronic parts from China

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Why do YOU feel that the two are the same issue with trade ?

That's not what you originally asked but perhaps you should read the post that you replied to here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You could even read my answer right there in the part you quoted. It starts with "As far as the OP goes..."

Again (I hope for the last time) , Foxconn was restricted for using electronic parts from China
That's fine. What does it have to do with direct foreign investment, which I said I'm in favor of?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
You have to break a few eggs to make real MAGA.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Why do YOU feel that the two are the same issue with trade ?

That's not what you originally asked but perhaps you should read the post that you replied to here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You could even read my answer right there in the part you quoted. It starts with "As far as the OP goes..."

That's fine. What does it have to do with direct foreign investment, which I said I'm in favor of?

Yeah I didnt ask . You are correct in that statement . I INFORMED.
You denied
So , I am still waiting. Yet , I know I will not get a relevant reply.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

You denied

I denied that Harley "threatened" anything. Yes. Because they didn't. They stated they are moving production of bikes for the European market out of the US. That is not a threat, it is a statement.

I know I will not get a relevant reply.
My replies have been quite relevant to your statements.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join