It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP, Harlan Ellison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Personally, I thought this happened years ago but it has been less than 24 hours.

What can be said about such a prolific author? He has provided sci-fi fans with such entertainment. My fave, being a Trekkie, is, of course, City on the Edge of Forever.

Here is quote from the announcement below...

For a brief time I was here, and for a brief time, I mattered.

–HE, 1934-2018.

He passed in his sleep at 84.

eta: He also did editorial work and made a couple sci-fi collections which is where I think I first ran across not just him but also Philip K. Dick. Dangerous Visions, I think. I remember reading it as a kid and finding all these different tales by people with names like H.E., Niven, Asimov (??), Dick, and Zelazny. Names I would go off and read their individual works. Then there was the battle over the Terminator movie!

Oh Mr. Ellison, you will matter for long after I am gone!

Laredo Morning Times (lmtonline.com) - Harlan Ellison, ‘Twilight Zone’ and ‘Star Trek’ Writer, Dies at 84.
edit on 29-6-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: add quote

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I had met Harlan back in the early 90's thru a friend of mine, who was doing some writing on Babylon 5. This man had a wit like a razor, with a twisted sense of humor, which I loved. Sadly, I only had a chance to talk to him on a hand-full of occasions. You will be missed Harlan. R.I.P.

Py
edit on 6/29/2018 by pyguy because: English Hard

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
"A Boy and his Dog" --best story ever!

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: pyguy

That is awesome! Glad you could meet the guy in person!

For me, it was the name, mostly. I knew I was about to be questioned, poked, and stretched a bit when facing one of his tales. The Outer Limits, Bablylon 5, Star Trek, and probably a couple Twilight Zones, I still find the stories, the questions, and the pacing, spot on!

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Shatterday from the rebooted Twilight Zone.Great stuff.Also Mind Fields with Yacek Yerka(sp?).He will be missed.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle
Shatterday from the rebooted Twilight Zone.Great stuff.

I love that episode!

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
One of my favorite authors of all time.
I loved his prologues, which were often longer than the actual story.
'The Beast Who Shouted Love At the Heart of the World' was my first Ellison read.
I was immediately addicted.
See you in some surreal Vallhalla you brilliant codger.
Thank you for your work.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I met Mr. Ellison once at a party for one of my profs, Jack Williamson. What a night!!

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
"I have no mouth and I must scream."
One version of Hell.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Right there with Le Guin , Asimov, Clark , Bradbury , Niven , Heinlein and others
And the one line that I quote most often

"You do not have a right to your opinion. You have the right to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant"
Harlan Ellison

Much time spent in the summer months when I was young reading the greats of sci-fi while others of my age went out and played. Just the mention of that one name brings back beloved memories

RIP Harlan . Now , go find those other worlds.
One journey has to end before the next begins...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
RIP Sir, may James Doohan keep your wessel at warp speed.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Sir, you continue to amaze me!

Two degrees of separation is cool, right??

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
theportalist.com...

This Says It All In My Most humble Opinion.

And Do Not Forget Ellison Wonderland !
edit on 30-6-2018 by bluemooone2 because: Added stuff

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison

“The only thing worth writing about is people. People. Human beings. Men and women whose individuality must be created, line by line, insight by insight. If you do not do it, the story is a failure. [...] There is no nobler chore in the universe than holding up the mirror of reality and turning it slightly, so we have a new and different perception of the commonplace, the everyday, the 'normal', the obvious. People are reflected in the glass. The fantasy situation into which you thrust them is the mirror itself. And what we are shown should illuminate and alter our perception of the world around us. Failing that, you have failed totally.”
― Harlan Ellison

“You must never be afraid to go there.”
― Harlan Ellison

“Writing is the hardest work in the world. I have been a bricklayer and a truck driver, and I tell you – as if you haven't been told a million times already – that writing is harder. Lonelier. And nobler and more enriching. ”
― Harlan Ellison

“I don't know how you perceive my mission as a writer, but for me it is not a responsibility to reaffirm your concretized myths and provincial prejudices. It is not my job to lull you with a false sense of the rightness of the universe. This wonderful and terrible occupation of recreating the world in a different way, each time fresh and strange, is an act of revolutionary guerrilla warfare. I stir the soup. I inconvenience you. I make your nose run and your eyeballs water.”
― Harlan Ellison

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Thank you for the new signature

join