It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico gravitates to firebrand AMLO (Lopez Obrador) with shades of Chavez for El Presidente

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
That's: Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador for El Presidente and Chavez, as in HUGO Chavez. Wasn't Hugo on the USA bad boy list?

For whatever reason the link may not connect:

www.independent.co.uk... 5866.html

If the link doesn't work then cut and paste the title into your browser as follows:

Weary of violence and corruption, Mexican voters gravitate to populist firebrand with shades of Chavez

Victory for AMLO, who heads his own ragtag National Regeneration Movement, or Morena, would spell an abrupt, potentially shocking, reordering of Mexico’s political landscape. The magnitude of it will depend on which AMLO ends up wearing the presidential sash. Some expect a more moderate and pragmatic leader to emerge, far different from the out-with-the-elite firebrand of the campaign trail. Others see a populist authoritarian with statist economic tendencies who might do to Mexico what Hugo Chavez did to his once-prosperous Venezuela. Those with most to lose from a sharp shift to the left may harbour the deepest fears. In the smarter neighbourhoods of Mexico City, like Polanco, there’s chatter of fleeing the country if he wins. “I still sleep at night,” one young man says, “because I have an American passport.” His nervous laughter leaves the comment somewhere between a joke and a threat. Anecdotes are exchanged of young, rich Mexicans spending small fortunes on visas to allow them to bolt overseas.

edit on 29-6-2018 by Jake56 because: link broken

edit on 29-6-2018 by Jake56 because: link malfunction

edit on 29-6-2018 by Jake56 because: typo

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Jake56

From what I have been reading, Obrador could well transform Mexico into another failed state like Venezuela.

And the reaction of the wealthy and educated is quite informative. They are positioning to leave Mexico. I know quite a few who have been repositioning their investments into the US, Spain and Italy. So what will be left? Starving poor who will flood into the US.

How many of these failed states can the world endure?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

FIVE Tanks!!!!!!!!!! and Muchas gracias

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I hope hes good but I agree with you based on my reading. Who did Hitler appeal to and whom did he destroy, same with Hugo. This guy is following that playbook but it could be a psyop to get elected by the poor and the down and out yet be even keeled. Or he could be YIKES

Build the wall Donald. Its insurance.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I agree with your sentiment. But I don't really think a wall will do much good. I live along the border and truthfully the problem isn't the Mexican people, its the Mexican government and its failure to get control of the drug gangs, all of which is caused by the failed war on drugs. But I digress. The immigration problem is from Central America; migrants fleeing poverty and gang warfare. What would really help with the immigration problem as far as Mexican citizens is concerned, the real solution is a workable, viable guest worker program accompanied with strict enforcement on US businesses and employers of E-Verify. The problem most all US Americans don't get is that because of the failed immigration laws, there are countless Mexican's who would like to return to Mexico, but can't for fear of not being able to return to their jobs and/or families residing in the US. They're trapped here.

With a guest worker program, they could move freely back and forth and their numbers would be dependent upon job availability in the US.

Yea, I know..........my ideas aren't particularly popular with a lot of folks. But as Reagan noted when asked about illegal immigrants, he said, "You see Illegal Immigrants, I see willing workers". The US can't prosper unless the GDP and main street business interests are moving "up and to the right". Problem is.......demographics. The Boomers are shuffling off to retirement; the US is at FULL EMPLOYMENT and jobs are going begging, particularly in the trades and building industries. (which is why housing is so very damned expensive).

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
And liberals want a completely open border with this country? We surely live in interesting times.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
After looking at the article and seeing the postings the following can be stated:

The first thing to note, is that no matter what the US should not get involved, and ultimately should stay out of it and watch. We need to understand that much of what we are seeing in the rise of this candidate that is there and worrying people, part is the response of the people of Mexico towards the USA. Face it neither country has been good neighbors towards the other. And this was stated to have happened about 28 years ago, when the politicians were looking at Mexico with fear and worry about its state and how it would affect the USA.

Here is a quote, from a prominent Republican: what it is stirring up of the possibility of trouble below the border and we could have a very hostile and strange neighbor on our border.

We are slowly creating monsters that we can not deal with and now one is growing from a former friendly neighbor.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

From what I have been reading, Obrador could well transform Mexico into another failed state like Venezuela.

And the reaction of the wealthy and educated is quite informative. They are positioning to leave Mexico. I know quite a few who have been repositioning their investments into the US, Spain and Italy. So what will be left? Starving poor who will flood into the US.

How many of these failed states can the world endure?

What I see and fear is another blood bath as happened during the Calderón Presidency.

Link

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

That would indeed be tragic!

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Well written and I really don't want a wall either. Lets cut to the chase. This is ongoing because of those in charge on both sides, especially the US. When something keeps going on for several decades its not about cops and robbers. Yes, its about a deep state, unelected and running the show. God help us all.

edit on 29-6-2018 by Jake56 because: typo

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
If you want to know what's going on in Mexico politics check a real expert like: Alfredo Jalife he's in FB

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

I will, thanks and God bless your country. Great people and I will use Google Translator to interpret his articles.

Thanks
edit on 29-6-2018 by Jake56 because: added

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

every time a leader tries to even the playing field the rich and educated take their ball and leave, leaving behind a nation of people stuck in the corruption and poverty. this is why i fear a barry sanders presidency here. he would raise taxes so high that our rich would flee in droves.

top topics

join