It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a preferred site to host documents and other non image files?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I'm sure this has probably been addressed before, I just don't recall what the answer is.

Occasionally I create PDF files and other content that I'd like to share with ATS. I'm planning on creating a thread in the near future that would definitely benefit from being able to share some supporting data and other experimental artifacts.

I could host the files myself. But, I'd rather not do that. Because I have access to all the server logs, I'll have access to information about other members that I really don't want. Not to mention that I believe this violates the T&C's of ATS.

Google Docs and Dropbox come to mind as possible venues. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

You could use google but Dropbox is a no. I could be wrong so just ask a mod. They would love to help you and may prefer you to another mod.
Heck even ask the one you were just talking to. He is a smart individual.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
Heck even ask the one you were just talking to. He is a smart individual.

I'm going to let him cool off a little bit first. I think he's about ready to rip me a new one right now.

You could use google but Dropbox is a no. I could be wrong so just ask a mod. They would love to help you and may prefer you to another mod.

I figured that asking the question publicly, in this forum, would allow anyone else with the same question to find the answer without having to contact a mod directly.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
Top 15 Most Popular File Sharing Websites May 2018

14 best free file hosting sites to store files online 2018

Thanks. But, I'm looking for something that may be a bit more standard for use with ATS. If such a standard exists at all.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

AHH your good man. I have purposely pissed off a few mods in my time and they always respond kindly. Just throw in an apology and you will be just fine.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Uploadfiles.ioseem to be a good and reliable host. I use it for work most of the time.

Not sure on how long it stays up there though.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Maybe I've pissed off all of them. Usually I would see a mod pop in and answer a board related question pretty quickly.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 1337Kph

Thanks for the link! The anonymity is a plus for the conspiracy minded folks on ATS.

Free users get 5GB of storage for 30 days.

$5.00 per month gets 10GB with no time limit.

I'll look into this a bit more tomorrow.

-dex

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

It looks like that site doesn't star downloads just by clicking on the link, so it doesn't go against the T&C.

And yes, using your own server would allow you to collect personal data, which is against point 15e.) ii) of the T&C.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Mega.nz offers free hosting and there's no way to get information about downloaders. Does this PDF link work?

WeTransfer offers 2gb of free file hosting. You could upload the files for the thread and delete them later on once the thread has lost its bloom.

As long as none of them automatically download it should be cool.

Here is a very, very useful site that is worth bookmarking. Virus Total is a site where anyone can paste a url and it'll tell you if the link is safe to look at or download from >>> Virus Total.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP
a reply to: Kandinsky

Thanks for the replies. So here is my understanding:

Hosting Service Requirements:
1. Provide anonymity for the downloader.
2. Does not initiate automatic download.

Are there other features that make one service more desirable than the other?

Recommended
Uploadfiles.io
Mega.nz

Does the auto download restriction also apply to pdf, doc, and text files?

I admit I haven't reviewed all of the offerings yet, but do these hosting services provide the ability for the downloader to browse around in a directory for current and historical data?

Regards
-dex

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 03:31 AM
link   

top topics

join