It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maxine Waters says she's faced increased threats, cancels attending 2 events

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "declaring war," but it's certainly begging for violence. Put your political opinions aside for a moment and really think about it. What she told people is that when they see someone from the group they don't like, to form a crowd and "push back on them" and tell them they're not welcome "anywhere, anywhere."

Now think about that for real. Imagine you're walking down the street and you hear someone yell, "There he is! He's one of them!" (Or "she," if you're a woman.) And suddenly you're surrounded by a crowd. An angry crowd. Because people who're willing do do this must, by default, be angry or they'd feel no need to do it. So there you are, surrounded by an angry crowd yelling stuff at you.

How are you going to feel? Are you going to feel threatened? Are you going to feel like you might need to defend yourself?

Drop the political aspect of it, and imagine you're just minding your own business living your life and this actually happens to YOU. From out of nowhere a crowd forms around you yelling hateful things at you [insert your own non-political hateful things here] and telling you you're not welcome. Anywhere. Are you not likely to react? Surrounded by a group of threatening people, you're just going to stand there?

If you have nerves of steel you might. But scared people often freak out. And people who feel threatened often try to defend themselves. And angry crowds often react violently to people trying to defend themselves from an angry crowd.

What happens when you do?

Well first of all you get your ass beat. You might even end up dead. We might end up with a riot. Or you might be armed and someone ends up dead or wounded.

However you look at it, Waters' words are directly encouraging people to create situations which are extremely likely to end in violence on one or both sides.

Sticks and stones will break your bones, and words might not...but angry crowds are certainly likely to.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
a reply to: TheRedneck

I couldnt have summarized it better myself, well done sir.

Shes a long the line of. Jesse Jackson,Louis Farrakhan, and Al Sharpton

She has done nothing for black people and ZERO for the country , which given her position, is suppose to be above everything. She took an oath for that!

She is guilty of sedition!

Sedition:

conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.

Okay, if you want to use that literal definition, then the prisons should be filled with people from both sides of the aisle.

Calling for violence against anyone is wrong. My Mama and Daddy taught me that two wrongs never make a right. It's a really simple concept. Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

I don't like Maxine and don't know of much good she's done but I can say the same of most of the politicians who have been in the system for decades. Both sides.

The reason for politics is to have citizens bring about a civil society. Screeching at people isn't the way to bring that about. It just seems like a massive number of people are suffering from damage to their frontal cortex that has caused them to lose the ability to control their impulses. This infantile behavior seems to have infected the media as well. The problem with this is that with a four or five year-old an adult can step in and make them stop and make up. Sadly, when people are adults only in a chronological sense, it never ends up in a good way. Instead of admitting that both sides were wrong they can go to the internet and "defend" their side and pretend that their "side" has the moral high ground.

It seems to me that both sides have bad cases of political derangement and that small, vocal, minority is giving both sides a bad rep.

Perhaps it is time to turn off the tv and computer for a few hours and take a walk. Resist the impulse to act like a monkey flinging fecal matter because someone said something incredibly stupid. While you are taking that walk ask yourself what positive things you've done to make your world a better place.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Amen to that. Like Gryphon66 says, resist the actions of the extreme ends against the majority middle. Better yet, don't give them the time of day.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yet the POTUS gets numerous threats daily against him and his family and just keeps on trucking. This woman is garbage in high heels.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I don't really agree with what Waters suggested, I don't believe she ever suggested that liberals physically assault members of the trump administration or his supporters... she most certainly didn't suggest that shoot or lynch anyone! as far as "attacking" president trump...

It certainly sounded to me like she was suggesting violence. Imagine how you would feel if you couldn't even stop to get a tank of gas without being surrounded by an angry mob? I know I would be arming myself to the teeth, because all it takes is one of those in the angry mob to decide they want to "fix" their problem for me to suddenly find myself in a life-or-death situation. Maxine Waters incited violence.

conservatives were pretty danged vocal when it came to opposing obama and his policies...
were they "attacking" president obama? should they have gotten threats of being shot or lynched till they ceased "attacking " him?

I was pretty vocal about opposing Obama's actions. That is not the issue. There is a world of difference between openly stating one's opposition to policies and intentionally targeting individuals in order to prevent them from the ability to go about their daily lives. We're not talking about people protesting the treatment of children at the border any more... that may be their driving force, but their actions are denying someone the ability to just have dinner.

Opposition to a policy is freedom of speech. Opposition to someone existing is not.

we now have toddlers being ordered to appear in immigration courts alone to explain why they should get asylum.

Firstly, we have had this happening since at least 2010.

Secondly, what else do we do? Their parents are in detention for violating the laws passed by Congress during the last few decades, and the decisions of Federal courts prevent us from holding them while their parents are in detention. We usually have no way to contact next of kin. If we do contact next of kin, they are often in Mexico, where we are apparently not supposed to send the kids. Do we just not enforce the laws and let the parents go? Do we stick the kids in detention indefinitely as well? We would not have this problem if the parents did not cross the border illegally with their children in tow.

Thirdly, we don't even know these kids are the children of the parents! We know that the parents claim to be such, but we also know that we have already apprehended people with children falsely claiming to be their parents, instead attempting to traffic them for malicious purposes. We also know that we really have no idea who either the parents or the children are, so we cannot easily verify. if we do not verify, are we not guilty of handing children over to predators?

There is much, much more to this issue that just "kids in cages."

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: riiver
Exactly!

I have faced exactly the situation you described. Surrounded by crowd of ignorant people frothing at the mouth and calling me vile names as well as "Republican." I was running for office on an independent ticket but these poor, ignorant people hadn't even bothered to notice that I had no affiliation with, nor had I ever had an affiliation with the Republican party. I, like my running mate, was what some folks call a "recovering Democrat."

Fortunately for me there was a cop standing nearby. When the mob ignored my invitation to sit down and talk about things over a cup of coffee, he recognized that they were heading into mob mentality and broke it up by explaining to them that if it was their desire to spend some time in jail for breach of the peace he could accommodate them.

The people who taught me to be a political activist were non-violent people. I was taught to sit down and talk with the people who were disagreeing, to try to find areas of agreement first and work from there. Always keeping in mind that our purpose was to build a better society for all.

There are always going to be people out there who will call others vile names and spew hatred. If you're a woman. If you look white. If you're skinny. If you support the right to defend yourself. Yeah, I'm a white-looking skinny hippy chick who believes I have the right to defend myself from people who seek to do me harm. I'll be glad to sit and discuss my political differences with anyone who wants to act like an adult. I believe that is the way civilized citizens behave.

Am I perfect? No. No. No. Not at all. I have succumbed to stupid too many to count in my life but I have learned to step away rather than screech and call names. Hatred is some heavy baggage to be carrying around and it never leads to joy or happiness.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Death threats don’t phase anyone here because she “deserves” it? Really? You wanna see her hung up with all the Strange Fruit of lynchings-past??

I have been a vocal critic of Mad Maxine's statements, and yet I stated clearly in my first post in this thread that I did not support any threats against her. I do support prosecution for inciting a riot at least. There are people on both sides of the political divide that deserve such. Mad Maxine is just the latest and most blatant example.

Everything is not R or D. The people throwing folk out of restaurants for existing are in the wrong and the police should have been called on them and every one should have spent the night in jail for disturbing the peace. The one exception is the owner of the Red Hen... her business, her prerogative, but if her business suffers it's on her. I know I wouldn't go to any restaurant that threw patrons out over political issues, whether those ejected patrons were on my side or the opposing side of an issue; I want to have a reasonable expectation I will be able to eat peacefully when I get there. The other patrons in both cases? That's a crime. Go to jail; go directly to jail; do not pass go; do not collect $200.

Maxine Waters called for even worse crimes against people for the unforgivable sin of disagreeing with her on a complex issue. She wants them harassed in department stores and gas stations, in addition to restaurants. That's her words, not mine.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Okay, if you want to use that literal definition, then the prisons should be filled with people from both sides of the aisle.

ABSOLUTELY!

The law is the law. If someone doesn't like the law, they can lobby to change it. Well, unless the person in question is a member of Congress... then THEY GET TO HELP MAKE THE LAWS.

That should lead to a higher standard in itself, and R or D doesn't matter. In the least.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

You reap what you sow...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I’m glad you don’t support violence against her.

I missed the part where Waters called for people to be lynched? Can you link that for me?? You said “even worse crimes.” Did she want them burned at the stake?

I disagree with harassment, so we agree on that. Should Trump tone down his bullying? I think he should. But that’s me. Nothing but ugly is coming from it, though the people do cheer him on. Especially when he riles em up with the F word and says other rather uncivil things. And when he forceably rips toddlers from their parents and then loses them “ in the system.”

Trump is an abuser. Be loyal or be abused. I guess we don’t all see him the same way though.

My God.

Maxine is an easy target for Trump. His attacks on her feed his base. And her attacks on Trump and his administration feed hers. Welcome to the ThunderDome.

edit on 29-6-2018 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

who is this woman? you guys/gals make her seem like a fraggin super star... I've never heard of her until I read jibberish news from here.. frackin strange indeed....
edit on 29-6-2018 by MarlbBlack because: (no reason given)
editedcuz i suck as bad as this chic, or whatever she is... lizard..
edit on 29-6-2018 by MarlbBlack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   

First off, thank you for the song. I haven't heard Tina belt that mass of emotion out in far too long. There is enough truth in those lyrics to bury Donald Trump's ego... if people would only listen beyond the beat.

I’m glad you don’t support violence against her.

I don't support violence against anyone. I support justice, and compassionate justice where indicated.

I missed the part where Waters called for people to be lynched? Can you link that for me?? You said “even worse crimes.” Did she want them burned at the stake?

If I am running a store in a rough section of town, and a big dude with a serious Italian accent walks in and demands my "insurance payment," and I ask for what and he replies, "because you don't want your little store to be in an accident. It would be a shame if a fire broke out"... well, he didn't say he would burn my place down if I didn't pay, but he certainly intended that message to be understood.

In the same vein, all Maxine asked for overtly was continual harassment... her words: harassment. Harassment is illegal, normally a misdemeanor but can rise to a felony. But the implication in that was clear to me: do whatever you have to do to make Trump's cabinet quit out of fear. That certainly includes lynching and yes, even burning at the stake. She was creating an unruly mob and giving them marching orders. Just because she didn't specify what type of violence to use does not mean she did not intend for violence to be used. She certainly did.

And she has celebrated violence before, even up to the point of celebrating the beating of a helpless bystander in the head with a concrete block until he suffered irreversible brain damage. Read back through the thread for specifics, or simply google "Reginald Denny Maxine Waters."

I disagree with harassment, so we agree on that. Should Trump tone down his bullying? I think he should. But that’s me. Nothing but ugly is coming from it, though the people do cheer him on.

Trump's tweets are definitely unusual in politics, and I will admit he does toe the line quite often with them. However, I have not yet heard him tell a group of supporters to go out and harass a group of people to the point of running them out of any public place they are found in.

I have heard him encourage people to go out and vote for specific candidates, and against specific candidates. I have heard him proclaim that someone's actions were improper, using admittedly a more common tongue than politicians normally employ. I even heard what I consider the worst statement he ever made: telling supporters at a rally if they beat up the disrupters, he would pay for their legal costs. I think that, while later characterized as "joking around," was definitely out of line, but not to the point that Waters was in this instance.

Trump's ire was against people who were already using violence to disrupt a private gathering. Waters ire was against people who were politically disagreeing with her non-violently. Trump never told anyone to do anything violent outside the area where the disrupters were already instigating violence; Waters specified for her followers to go out and harass people wherever they could be found.

Yeah, I think his tweets could use some timing down... but I also do not see them as anywhere close to as blatant and as dangerous as Waters' words.

Especially when he riles em up with the F word and says other rather uncivil things. And when he forceably rips toddlers from their parents and then loses them “ in the system.”

That is a false narrative, on several fronts. Firstly, all of the policies in effect under the Trump administration have been in effect at least since 2010, some longer. The only exception is that Trump is keeping a campaign promise by actually enforcing present immigration law which was passed by Congress... during Maxine Waters tenure. She gets at least as much of the blame as Trump does, as do the rest of the Congressional officials.

Secondly, the conditions have been greatly exaggerated. These children are being housed as well as they possibly can be, given the huge numbers that are being dragged across the border in knowing violation of the law. The "tin foil sheets" they were said to be sleeping under are actually high-tech metallized reflective blankets; they work by reflecting heat instead of slowing it's transmission and are quite effective... effective enough to be used by the US military. The 'cages' are simply temporary housing that only exists in as hurried a state of construction because of the massive influx of those needing some housing. Chain link is one of the fastest barriers that can be built. The only other realistic option would be to just turn them loose to survive on their own, and I hope you are not for that.

Thirdly, Trump has already signed an Executive Order requiring the Border Patrol and ICE to take whatever actions are possible to prevent separating children from the adults assumed to be parents... and on that note, we have no proof these children were taken from their parents. Neither has any ID. For all we know, these kids were kidnapped and are being trafficked; we know for a fact a substantial number of child traffickers with children in tow, claiming to be parents, have already been apprehended at the border.

Fourthly, as a member of the US Senate, Maxine Waters can introduce a bill to force whatever change she thinks is appropriate. True, the Republicans can block it easily enough, but she hasn't even introduced it! If she is that riled up, why not at least try to introduce a solution, her actual job as Senator, rather than incite violence? Donald Trump, by virtue of the EO mentioned above, has done much much more to help the situation that she has, and it's her job!

Fifthly, what parent does not realize that they do not get to keep their children with them if they go to jail? Isn't that sort of a given? Where are these US prisons with day care built in? Detention is a type of temporary low-security prison for asylum seekers who have broken the law in their attempt to seek asylum until their case can be heard.

Sixthly, these parents, at least many of them, just got through traveling all the way across Mexico - the long way - in order to seek asylum here? If they were fleeing persecution in their own country, would it not make more sense to seek asylum in Mexico? They never even tried. They also marched right past US Embassies where they could have requested asylum legally and been granted protection if their request held any merit until it could be heard by an immigration judge, without the risk of being separated from their children.

I could go on, but you should by now get the point: if you expect to debate me, your fake rhetoric does not help your argument.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

That's gonna happen when you threaten over half the nation with violence, and then try to convince your party to join you in the violence. What did she expect? I personally think that-she should have a visit from the FBI, because she's using her public image as as a weapon to try to get people hurt...and the tax payers are paying for that...the very tax payers that she wants to see get hurt, and all over racism.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Ahh, hypocrisy, the cornerstone of any society.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Thank you for the reply.

Here is my main point. Take this paragraph and switch it over to Trump calling for harassment. He constantly calls the Press the Enemy of the People. He does the mafia bit “what a nice little girl. Shame if someone took her away from you at the border” all the freaking time!!!

If I am running a store in a rough section of town, and a big dude with a serious Italian accent walks in and demands my "insurance payment," and I ask for what and he replies, "because you don't want your little store to be in an accident. It would be a shame if a fire broke out"... well, he didn't say he would burn my place down if I didn't pay, but he certainly intended that message to be understood. In the same vein, all Maxine asked for overtly was continual harassment... her words: harassment. Harassment is illegal, normally a misdemeanor but can rise to a felony. But the implication in that was clear to me: do whatever you have to do to make Trump's cabinet quit out of fear. That certainly includes lynching and yes, even burning at the stake. She was creating an unruly mob and giving them marching orders. Just because she didn't specify what type of violence to use does not mean she did not intend for violence to be used. She certainly did. And she has celebrated violence before, even up to the point of celebrating the beating of a helpless bystander in the head with a concrete block until he suffered irreversible brain damage. Read back through the thread for specifics, or simply google "Reginald Denny Maxine Waters."

Now lest you think I’m merely doing a whatabouism, let’s see what she said:

From The Guardian:

Not so, says Maxine Waters of California. Over the weekend the Democratic congresswoman told a crowd: “If you see anybody from that cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd, and you push back on them!” Trump retorted on Twitter that Waters is “an extraordinarily low IQ person” and wrote threateningly: “Be careful what you wish for Max!”

And why did she say this? It is a call to harass them, yes, and as such it is wrong. However, the context was a specific issue, the removal of kids from their parents at the border, an act that is injurious to the kids, all somTrump would have a bargaining chip for his Wall, and a deterrent to asylum seekers. It’s nuts.

You may disagree with that interpretation of events, but IF that is how Waters perceived it, if she was imagining parents and children terrorized by Trumps border policy, then one can understand a bit more WHY she said what she said, however unwise it may be. There are parents working with lawyers to recover their children. There are children begging to call their parents on video. You can say there is no proof, but have you simply brushed aside the evidence for your own sense of not wanting someone you voted for to be doing something that in our guts as humans we know to be wrong?

Back to Trump....

Trump, on the other hand, to my ears, comes off as pure mafia on a regular basis and in the quote above.

This is where the right and left tend to disagree the most - one side says he’s a petty rich-boy thug and con artist with a compassionless brutality that borders on malignancy, and the other says he’s Making America Great Again so shut up and Eff your Feelings. Granted there are more shades to it than that, but generally speaking it feels that way to me.

If Trump, in the eyes of the Left, is a tyrannical bully, then standing up to the bully is a bad thing? THAT is how the left frames Waters words, though again, I think hers is the wrong approach. As to the normal process of government, it is completely lopsided in favor of the GOP. But even some of them couldn’t stomach the border policy. So finally Trump sort of changed it, but only in that families are detained together indefinitely now. Kids are going in to represent themselves in court without advocates. The cluster* continues.

Anyway. Agree to disagree, but if you are pointing out specks in Waters’ eyes, you might also want to notice the giant plank in Trump’s eye at the same time.

Fake rhetoric is in the eye of the beholder.

edit on 30-6-2018 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Ironic how dems are in favor of disruptive behavior and then against it again.

edit on 30-6-2018 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Here is my main point. Take this paragraph and switch it over to Trump calling for harassment. He constantly calls the Press the Enemy of the People. He does the mafia bit “what a nice little girl. Shame if someone took her away from you at the border” all the freaking time!!!

But Trump never called for harassment; that is my main point. He has called out the media for falsehoods, yes, but why is that wrong? Are we to demand falsehoods form the media now? Beginning with the moment he became a front-runner, the media has hounded Trump with rumors, insinuations, and false assumptions to the point of being easily quantifiable. Every statement he made was taken out of context, twisted, and turned into some evil intent. For a single example among many, when Trump was endorsed by David Duke, he initially acted somewhat confused over a remote link and them made a generic statement about appreciating support. When confronted, he explained that he was unable to hear exactly who had endorsed him, a reasonable statement in lieu of his actions when initially told about it. He then denounced Duke's support strongly, and went on to publicly denounce him again, not once, but twice again, in the following days.

The media spun this to say that Trump was sympathetic toward the KKK because he didn't denounce Duke. He did, thrice! Yet that was not mentioned. Hillary Clinton has a longtime relationship with KKK Grand Wizard William Quigg, and is a close friend of once KKK Grand Wizard Robert Byrd. She has never denounced either of them, but also was never called out i the media for her associations.

That is false news. It cannot be seen any other way by anyone with an open mind. And it is only one example of thousands. I see nothing wrong with calling someone out for falsely reporting a story as truth.

Now lest you think I’m merely doing a whatabouism, let’s see what she said:

“If you see anybody from that cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd, and you push back on them!”

Yes, that is one part of what she said. "Create a crowd"... in other words, threaten and overwhelm them... "and push back"... in other words, resort to physical action. And she said this in response to the situation at the border - a situation she is in the unique position of remedying as a US Senator and which Trump is not in such a situation since he is not a legislator.

Maxine Waters, in her role as US Senator, helped create the very situation she now blames on Donald Trump and calls for violence over.

You may disagree with that interpretation of events, but IF that is how Waters perceived it, if she was imagining parents and children terrorized by Trumps border policy, then one can understand a bit more WHY she said what she said, however unwise it may be.

I certainly disagree, and I have explained my reasoning many, many times in this and related threads.

I will also state that, as a US Senator, it is uniquely dangerous for Waters to react the way she did, to the extend she did, on a feeling. Feelings are not reality, and she is charged with a solemn duty to enact the laws of the USA. Instead, she is reneging on that solemn duty and instead instigating unlawfulness. That is simply unacceptable. Period. She has abrogated her responsibility to the citizens of her district and of the entire country.

If Trump, in the eyes of the Left, is a tyrannical bully, then standing up to the bully is a bad thing?

Again with the feelings. Feelings are not facts. Are we to be a nation of law and order, or one of feelings and knee-jerk reactions?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

This is a classic case of reaping and sowing. Karma is real.

But seriously what the hell did she expect after basically calling out for harassment and bullying?

Had Trump called out for something similar; I can tell you this much, all hell would have broken loose from both sides. So because she is a lefty she is supposed to get away with it?

Sorry, no special treatment for her or people who think like her.

The other person who tried to do something similar in history was Adolf Hitler and his brownshirts.

Ultimately the real nazi's are those repeating Hitlers Tactics. (It's not name calling, it's simple facts through comparison in both ideology and in actions.)

We all reap what we sow. And Maxine is certainly reaping hers. She only has herself to blame.
edit on th2018000000Saturdayth000000Sat, 30 Jun 2018 14:00:01 -0500fAmerica/ChicagoSat, 30 Jun 2018 14:00:01 -0500 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Sadly, when she decides to retire it's with all the amenities most of us would love to have.
Pension, health care, etc. for life.

I appreciate she has served for the public for a long time. But I would prefer she gets the same benefits we all get.

You call what she does a service to the public? I call it a disservice.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Every public figure gets threats. She's playing the victim because she's received a lot of backlash for being the scum she is.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join