It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maxine Waters says she's faced increased threats, cancels attending 2 events

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1337Kph

originally posted by: DexterRiley

So basically it has dwindled down to "she is black"?...

Long winded as it is, that seems to be his premise

"Shes black so , no matter what she says or does its ok"

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Forgive me for butting in, but your post disturbs me. You claim to be listing Maxine's accomplishments, but how exactly is being born to a large black family with a single mother an accomplishment? This confuses me, because I seriously do not remember making any form of request concerning who I wanted my parents to be, nor where I wanted to be born. If I didn't, then neither did Maxine Waters.
My point in listing that as being an achievement was to show her humble beginnings. There may be other members of Congress who arose from such a poor family. However, I am somewhat familiar with this specific family situation. So, I think I have a unique perspective on how much of an achievement it is for her to become a national politician.

I ask you, how is bullying considered an accomplishment?
That's a loaded question in our current political environment.

As far as your other criticisms, I acknowledge her imperfections. However, my goal was to show that her career was honorable. Given today's climate, just showing that she was never arrested and prosecuted for a crime may be enough to demonstrate a politician's honorableness.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
a reply to: DexterRiley

I'm not trying to slam you, but for 45 years in politics, you haven't proven she's done anything of lasting impact to America.

Here, take a look at something like this:Gov Track Maxine Waters

And Here:Report Card Maxine Waters

This will give you a better overview of her Political career more so than her Wiki Page.

Take a look......its nothing spectacular.

Also look at the opensecrets page:Opensecrets Maxine Waters

And her whole voting history here at Vote Smart

She's not any great Legislative Representative. If you like her that's fine. But her record is a mediocre one at best.

I don't really like or dislike her. I'm just trying to show that she has accomplished a few positive things. I never said she was a standout. However, for the most part, I think she served honorably.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

Educate yourself

Ok. Provide me with some links to your assertions and I'll examine them to see if I believe they are seditious. If so, I'll admit my mistake.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 1337Kph

I presented my opinion. I've defended it as best I could.

If that's your assessment of my argument, then so be it. There's not much more that I can add.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   

I presented my opinion. I've defended it as best I could.

If that's your assessment of my argument, then so be it. There's not much more that I can add.

-dex

Dont feel bad. I don't think there are many people who can make a steaming pile of poo look honorable.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   

However, for those of us who are familiar with the history of racism, and the notion of having pride in one's "people," this is a notable accomplishment.

I'm sorry... I grew up in the 1960s in ALA-freakin'-BAMA! I think I am somewhat familiar with the "history of racism," thank you very much.

I remember hearing Martin Luther King, Jr. I remember hearing about his death. I was very young, but I still knew something massive had happened, and thankfully I was old enough to remember the great man.

I remember George C. Wallace standing on the school steps in his infamous attempt to thwart progress.

Not during my time, but you ever hear of the Scottsboro Boys? I live not far from where it supposedly happened. I CAN TAKE YOU TO THE EXACT SPOT!

I distinctly remember going to school with both races. I remember parents railing against it... on both sides! It was supposed to be a disaster, but guess what? We got along just fine. I called a few black boys "friend"... as did several of my white friends.

You need to understand something... you are not the sole authority on the "history of racism." To claim you are is insulting to me, and I would say to quite a few others who have had the experience of living through that history. We survived it, and we don't want to go back. So put your goalposts back where you first found them: being black is not in itself an achievement... being a good person is an achievement, and the color of someone's skin means absolutely, positively, unconditionally nothing.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry

originally posted by: 1337Kph

So basically it has dwindled down to "she is black"?...

Long winded as it is, that seems to be his premise

"Shes black so , no matter what she says or does its ok"

I'm not going to start getting into ad hominem attacks here. However, nowhere in anything I have posted can you draw that conclusion. I'm used to a bit more factual debate than this and clearly you are unable to dedicate a sufficient amount of time to understanding my points to provide an informed rebuttal.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Holly #%$$, I do not ever remember seeing you get that worked up about something. Racism really bothers you as it does me. Thank you for being straight up about it. It is absolutely disgusting and has no place in my home.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

I'm not going to start getting into ad hominem attacks here. However, nowhere in anything I have posted can you draw that conclusion. I'm used to a bit more factual debate than this and clearly you are unable to dedicate a sufficient amount of time to understanding my points to provide an informed rebuttal.

-dex

Ok now you sound like a freshman on his first day. The post of yours that listed her multiple "achievements" and "honorable" career, barely mentioned anything note worthy and the basis of it seemed to be around her being black.

So yeah.
edit on 29-6-2018 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
a reply to: pavil

mediocre?

Hell shes done nothing but create division.

And the poster wants to pull the race card, she has done nothing but hold her own people down and make victims of them.

I was being generous to Dexter in an effort to get him to dive in deep to my links. The links spell out her record.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It is so sad that she was forced to cancel any of her events. I know her followers were very disappointed not being able to meet with her.

Both of them.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

You need to understand something... you are not the sole authority on the "history of racism." To claim you are is insulting to me, and I would say to quite a few others who have had the experience of living through that history.
I never said that I was the sole authority on anything. I apologize if I came across that way. I am merely relating my point of view.

We survived it, and we don't want to go back.
Neither do I. However, it happened. And it is a part of all of us. It's a sorry part of our history, however those hardships and accomplishments have a lasting impact. Some of those who experienced it firsthand have a different perspective and I'm trying to capture that sentiment in my argument.

So put your goalposts back where you first found them: being black is not in itself an achievement...
I never said it was.

being a good person is an achievement, and the color of someone's skin means absolutely, positively, unconditionally nothing.
Well, the color of someone's skin may be important to that person. Feeling a certain solidarity with one's ethnic group is not unusual. And it is the right of the members of that group to hold that belief.

To claim you are is insulting to me
Definitely no insult intended. We've had some good discussions in the past and I hope that we can continue to agree to disagree.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Yes, it does bother me... a lot. I have absolutely no use for anyone who tries to pre-judge someone based on something as silly as the shade of skin tone. It's no different than the color of hair. It means nothing, but I have seen actual racism in my life, and I despise it!

The thing is, I consider racism as more than just a politically-charged term. I remember a day when someone could be beaten severely, even killed, for being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong color of their skin. I have known old black men who were wise beyond their years, young black men who were kind and good-hearted, and black women who were so sweet I'd be afraid if I saw them walking in the rain. And I have seen many of them being unfairly subjected to the evil we call racism.

I have also seen my own culture denigrated for something it is not... and that is its own form of racism.

Yeah... struck a nerve. Thanks for understanding.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Ok. I have done my best to present a positive portrait of Maxine Waters. Clearly she has many flaws, and I'm not going to defend every stupid thing she has done.

I have not at any point indicated that her actions with respect to her current harassment campaign are acceptable. In fact, I have gone out of my way to specifically denounce that behavior.

I'm outnumbered here. And my points are being taken out of context. So I'm through with this debate.

You all have a good time bashing Maxine.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Frankly, she was idiotic.

That said, all those threatening her are equally idiotic.

This is what i don't understand with all the left versus right stuff in the US. It doesn't matter which way it goes, but take her as an example. When she calls for attacks on Trumps staff, etc, she gets rightly lambasted by the right (and some ATS posters). But when it is coming back her way, it is somehow ok?

Come on people, that sort of thing is not OK all round.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Of she had such a poor family how did she become a millionaire? I know congressman dont make millions either. HER YEARLY SALARY IS 170000.00 Where did all her wealth come from i wonder. The other thing i never got is she kept her first husbands name even after re marrying. I always thought that was strange.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Of she had such a poor family how did she become a millionaire? I know congressman dont make millions either. HER YEARLY SALARY IS 170000.00 Where did all her wealth come from i wonder. The other thing i never got is she kept her first husbands name even after re marrying. I always thought that was strange.

I think most all of the members of Congress are millionaires. If I'm not mistaken, Bernie Sanders is one of the few that's not.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   

I never said that I was the sole authority on anything. I apologize if I came across that way. I am merely relating my point of view.

I'll accept that apology. I hope you can see where it was taken the way it was. You did come across as condescending.

Neither do I. However, it happened. And it is a part of all of us. It's a sorry part of our history, however those hardships and accomplishments have a lasting impact.

The length of that lasting impact, I believe, is a function of how much people try to embellish and correct the errors made, even after they have been corrected. The more we try to place black folk in some sort of "helpless" class where just being born is a notable achievement, the more we dehumanize them. Skin color has no bearing whatsoever on potential, and should not be used to adjust expectations.

Maxine Waters is one of those who have decided that skin color determines potential, and therefore is an excuse for bad behavior. Jesse Jackson is another. Al Sharpton is another. Fredricka Wilson is taking it to a whole new level. And it's wrong.

I never said it was.

Go back and re-read what you posted with an open mind. You certainly insinuated such, intentional or not.

Well, the color of someone's skin may be important to that person. Feeling a certain solidarity with one's ethnic group is not unusual. And it is the right of the members of that group to hold that belief.

It certainly is important, and everyone should be able to have pride in their own culture. I take pride in mine, to the apparently eternal dismay of some who would prefer my culture be wiped from history like a bad smudge.

I have been in some black friends' houses. I typically see photos of MLK, Malcolm X, etc. I thought they were very appropriate. If you walk into mine, you will see family photos, religious symbols, and paintings of nature... my culture. Strangely enough, when left to ourselves without the race-baiters' input, we seem to get along pretty good just by respecting each others' culture.

Definitely no insult intended. We've had some good discussions in the past and I hope that we can continue to agree to disagree.

Yes, we can continue... 90% of communication is non-verbal, and 90% of nonverbal communication is inflective... so the Internet becomes a quite impersonal and easily misunderstood medium at times. One of the reasons I resist texting in favor of speaking as much as practical.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Hey man I don’t want you to stop debating. I actually believe you are very good at it and would love to see that continue.
I do not believe you are a racist but with zero context a certain comment could be taken the wrong way. Not your fault just a lack of context thanks to keyboards.
Maxine has done some great work in her days and is a fierce opponent to those that want to battle her. She is a strong woman and has battled as best as many could even hope of doing. Now she may be a little crazy these days but damnit she earned everything she has.
I may not like her but she will always have my gratitude. Hands down

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join