It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maxine Waters says she's faced increased threats, cancels attending 2 events

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I think it is the look over here game. I know it is fun to make fun of politicians being dumb, but hey they did make it to D.C. they can't be that dumb. Something else is in the works I think.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

You were the one touting her credentials and that's all you could come up with?

I guess I asked for this. So here you go:

Wikipedia: Maxine Waters

Waters was born in 1938 in St. Louis, Missouri, the daughter of Remus Carr and Velma Lee (née Moore). The fifth out of thirteen children, Waters was raised by her single mother once her father left the family when Maxine was two.
My mother is from this era, and I have heard many stories of the horrors of having to raise a family as a single mother during this time period. My mother was the oldest of 12 children and was pressed into service as a surrogate mother at an early age.

She's been in politics for over 45 years, serving in several leadership positions including the Democratic Caucus Chair for the California Assembly, the Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus and Ranking Member of the House Financial Services Committee. While a member of the California Assembly, she was one of the earliest politicians in the country to advocate for financial divestment in South Africa because of their Apartheid policies.

After the 1992 Rodney King uprising, Ms. Waters made the point:

In her view, the violence was "a spontaneous reaction to a lot of injustice."
While I may not agree with some of the other statements she made at the time, this is a valid point. And one that continues to resonate even now.

On July 29, 1994, Waters came to public attention when she repeatedly interrupted a speech by Peter King (R-NY).
That's a pretty gutsy move for a relatively novice member of congress to get in an altercation with such a senior member. And the fact that she was a woman was icing on the cake. In July 2017, Maxine waters continued to show her strength of character when she went head-to-head with Steven Mnuchin during a House Financial Services Committee meeting, as he continued to evade her questions.

As a conspiracy website, I'm sure some ATS members would appreciate her position on the interference of the CIA in domestic matters:

Following a 1996 San Jose Mercury News article alleging the complicity of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in the Los Angeles crack epidemic of the 1980s, Waters called for an investigation.
Following these post-publication investigations, Waters read into the Congressional Record a memorandum of understanding in which former President Ronald Reagan's CIA director rejected any duty by the CIA to report illegal narcotics trafficking to the Department of Justice.

Waters voted against the Iraq War Resolution, the 2002 resolution that funded and granted Congressional approval to possible military action against the regime of Saddam Hussein.
You may remember that this was not a popular position to have so soon after the 911 terror attacks. Once again this shows where she stuck to her principles rather than caving to the popular opinion represented by her party.

And finally, while it probably doesn't mean much to you, for an African American to reach such a lofty position in government and maintain that position for several decades is an achievement in itself. Many in the black community remember a time when it was essentially illegal for them to vote at all, and to see one of their own with actual political power still instills in them a sense of pride.

Hopefully this brief synopsis shows why I think her career has merit and I consider it honorable. But, like just about every politician, she has faced her share of scandal.

As I've said several times, I don't like her involvement in this harassment campaign. It taints an otherwise effective career by her falling into the partisan divisionist trap built to keep otherwise rational people from coming together on real solutions.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: highvein
I think it is the look over here game. I know it is fun to make fun of politicians being dumb, but hey they did make it to D.C. they can't be that dumb. Something else is in the works I think.

Desperate "Custer's Last Stand" Jealous Democrati PR firms.

⚖💥Sun💥Burn💥⚖

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It's actually depressing how all this has gone. For years we all took for granted that they were looking out for us. An outsider comes along and they are impaling themselves on the proverbial sword in endless attacks just because he is an outsider and in the end, they are exposing themselves as the farse our governing body has been for many years. It isn't partisan look at the early retirements on both sides its just the Dems are wallowing in denial and self-pity and defication. The gig is up new blood is needed and lobbyest need to be put in their place. The legislator is an embarrassment to both sides of the aisle.

Term limits for the legislator and the supreme court is needed.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

There is plenty to look up about her and her district. They have actually done a lot of good. She may be old and “dumb” but you can be all that and smart as well.
BTW I am sorry for the educated part. I did not mean for that to be an insult.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

There is plenty to look up about her and her district. They have actually done a lot of good. She may be old and “dumb” but you can be all that and smart as well.
BTW I am sorry for the educated part. I did not mean for that to be an insult.

Yet you have not named one..
At least the member I had originally responded to (not you) named 1
Which I immediately shot down.

I have free will to think and reason for myself
You can do it too . I did.
Just remove that yoke (yolk ?) that the Libs have around your neck , and go for it.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I do have the brain power to freely think for myself. I could give you some great examples but a fast google of the 43rd district of Cali will give you all you need.
I am not here to be a teacher that part is on you.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Yet you have not named one.. At least the member I had originally responded to (not you) named 1 Which I immediately shot down.

That was me. My post indicating that she had shown support for medical marijuana was based on a quick lookup of a topic that has rather widespread support on ATS. It was a kind of half-serious and half-humorous response that didn't take a lot of time.

I wrote a more detailed perspective in a response to Pavil.

You might want to look at that. Ms. Waters is a seasoned politician that knows how to effectively function in the legislature. She's not as pure as the driven snow, but she's no dummy either.

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I'm not trying to slam you, but for 45 years in politics, you haven't proven she's done anything of lasting impact to America.

Here, take a look at something like this:Gov Track Maxine Waters

And Here:Report Card Maxine Waters

This will give you a better overview of her Political career more so than her Wiki Page.

Take a look......its nothing spectacular.

Also look at the opensecrets page:Opensecrets Maxine Waters

And her whole voting history here at Vote Smart

She's not any great Legislative Representative. If you like her that's fine. But her record is a mediocre one at best.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   

for an African American to reach such a lofty position in government and maintain that position for several decades is an achievement in itself.

and there it is, THe race card...........give me a break.

Ms. Waters is a seasoned politician that knows how to effectively function in the legislature. She's not as pure as the driven snow, but she's no dummy either.

The fact shes calling for open sedition, proves shes a dummy

And she only knows ho wto function in the legislature as long as she can pull strings for special interest groups, incite BS, and curry favor by instigating her base.

Come on man.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

mediocre?

Hell shes done nothing but create division.

And the poster wants to pull the race card, she has done nothing but hold her own people down and make victims of them.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Forgive me for butting in, but your post disturbs me. You claim to be listing Maxine's accomplishments, but how exactly is being born to a large black family with a single mother an accomplishment? This confuses me, because I seriously do not remember making any form of request concerning who I wanted my parents to be, nor where I wanted to be born. If I didn't, then neither did Maxine Waters.

Attaining a position in government, even holding a position in government for 45 years is also not much of an accomplishment in itself. More of an accomplishment would be actually doing something as an elected official. Y0ou gave two examples of her interrupting and badgering others as a Senator. I ask you, how is bullying considered an accomplishment?

In the LA riots in 1992, I believe, I don't think I can ever forget one of those other statements you alluded to without including. Remember that Reginald Denny was guilty of nothing more than driving a truck through the area and having white skin. Yet, he was stopped, pulled from his truck, and repeatedly bashed in the head with a concrete block for these "crimes" by a group of men following a fellow named Damien Williams. Damien was convicted and sent to jail, but his accomplices were not... and Maxine Waters was overjoyed at the lack of justice.

She went on to make a statement concerning the riots, that they were “a rebellion, and in ways understandable.”

I'm sorry; I do not consider violence against innocents "understandable" in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

Maxine Waters is an angry, vindictive, malicious woman who exhibits joy when others perform violent acts, and her latest tirade is as close to sedition as I can imagine any statement being. She is the cause of what racism exists in America today, and a poor role model for anyone who might desire to someday live in a peaceful world. Her greatest achievement is being an angry black woman who hates everyone who disagrees with her and believes that violence is an acceptable means to demonstrate that anger.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I couldnt have summarized it better myself, well done sir.

Shes a long the line of. Jesse Jackson,Louis Farrakhan, and Al Sharpton

She has done nothing for black people and ZERO for the country , which given her position, is suppose to be above everything. She took an oath for that!

She is guilty of sedition!

Sedition:

conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.

edit on 29-6-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   
All part of the plan I am sure, she (or someone in her camp) had to know threats would be the response to her openly calling for the harassment of trump officials and their families.

Now she will play the victim card for all she is worth, and I don't doubt MSNBC and CNN and the rest will give her ample coverage to paint anyone with a slight lean right as worse than Hitler.

I would have rather nobody harassed or threatened her, then it just makes the left look crazy... but it was to much to hope that the rights crazy would shut up for a bit.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley
Hopefully this brief synopsis shows why I think her career has merit and I consider it honorable. But, like just about every politician, she has faced her share of scandal.

Quite honestly, out of your long post that tries to paint her political career as something grand, there is nothing I've read there that even comes close to a worthy accomplishment or achievement.

Really? Disturbed a speech and was against the war on Iraq?...

She always was a pathetic excuse for a politician (which is already LOW), only now she exposed herself to people like you who apparently were at awe with her political career of nothingness.

She's not as pure as the driven snow, but she's no dummy either.

Oh yes, yes she is.
edit on 29-6-2018 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
No one should cheer this on, or even express indifference

We are better than this, America

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

and there it is, THe race card...........give me a break.

You can disregard that aspect of her character if you wish. I'm not pushing it down your throat.

However, for those of us who are familiar with the history of racism, and the notion of having pride in one's "people," this is a notable accomplishment.

Since it has no meaning for you, I suggest you ignore it. Others may see it differently.

This is the paragraph in its entirety:

And finally, while it probably doesn't mean much to you, for an African American to reach such a lofty position in government and maintain that position for several decades is an achievement in itself. Many in the black community remember a time when it was essentially illegal for them to vote at all, and to see one of their own with actual political power still instills in them a sense of pride.

The fact shes calling for open sedition, proves shes a dummy
What she's called for is harassment; and, as I've said, I don't approve of that behavior for any partisan. However, I know of no statement that she has made that rises to the level of "sedition."

And she only knows ho wto function in the legislature as long as she can pull strings for special interest groups, incite BS, and curry favor by instigating her base.
How does that differ from any other politician?

-dex

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

So basically it has dwindled down to "she is black"?...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

IT is not and has not been that time, weve had a black president, and many black representatives in our gov, from her time to current.

Period.

What she's called for is harassment; and, as I've said, I don't approve of that behavior for any partisan. However, I know of no statement that she has made that rises to the level of "sedition."

She didnt just call for harassment she said she would assassinate the president if she needed to.

Even at that , calling for harassment is NOT acceptable from anyone, ESPECIALLY from a person of her position of government! Both of these statements are seditious, perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the term. ( not like i didnt post it)

How does that differ from any other politician?

The others arent calling for harassment and physical harm to heads of state, or people that support them.

Educate yourself

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join