It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maxine Waters says she's faced increased threats, cancels attending 2 events

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
H.Res.962 - Condemning and censuring Maxine Waters, Representative of California's 43d Congressional District.

(1) the House of Representatives censures and condemns Maxine Waters for conduct that condones public violence and incites public discord, and is not befitting an elected Member of the House of Representatives; and

(2) it is the sense of the House of Representatives that Maxine Waters, Representative of California’s 43d Congressional District, should—

(A) issue a formal apology to the members of the Trump administration and all public officials for endangering their lives and sowing seeds of discord;

(B) issue a public statement that physical violence and harassment is not an appropriate reaction for members of the public to express disagreement with their elected officials; and

(C) immediately resign from office to allow an individual more befitting of the respect of the people of the United States to represent California’s 43d Congressional District.

Referred to House Ethics 06/25/2018

Dear God, can you IMAGINE the drama that will ensue if this actually happens? She'll be screaming "racism" to high heaven. She'll be calling on her supporters to attack even more people. And she will flatly refuse to resign. Instead of owning up to what she said--I mean seriously, she's already denied what she said, even though it's right there on film--she'll paint herself as the poor mistreated victim of the mean old Republican congress.

As an aside--how often has something like this happened before? Do we have any past history to look at and have an idea where things may go?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: riiver

VERY good question. Wikipedia is my friend.

In the entire history of the United States Congress, 20 Members have been expelled: 15 from the Senate and 5 from the House of Representatives (of those, 1 member's expulsion, William K. Sebastian of Arkansas, was posthumously reversed). 19 of the 20 expulsions involved a member of the Democratic Party. Censure has been a much more common form of disciplinary action in Congress over the years, as it requires a much lower threshold of votes to impose.

The great majority of those expelled — 17 members — were removed from office for their support of the Confederacy in the immediate aftermath of secession. In 1861, after the Civil War had broken out, 11 Senators (including former Vice President and Kentucky Senator John C. Breckinridge) and three Representatives were expelled for supporting the Confederacy. In 1862, three more Representatives were expelled for supporting the Confederate States (John Bullock Clark and John William Reid of Missouri as well as Henry Cornelius Burnett of Kentucky).

There have only been three other expulsions. In 1797, Senator William Blount of Tennessee was expelled for treason, with charges centering on a plan to incite the Creek and Cherokee to aid the British in conquering the Spanish territory of West Florida. Blount remains the only Senator to be expelled for a reason other than supporting the Confederacy.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Thanks for the answer, and my apologies for not looking it up myself. I thought, since we have so many history buffs and people familiar with the ins-and-outs of the political process, that someone might know off the top of their head without having to look it up.

Since the quote above mainly talked about expulsion, I looked up "congressional censure discipline" and this is what I found:

Consequence of Censures. There is no specific disqualification or express consequence provided in the House Rules after a Member has been “censured.” The political ignominy of being formally and publically admonished and deprecated by one’s colleagues, however, has lead some Members of Congress who face a potential censure or other formal House discipline for certain misconduct to resign before any official recommendation or other action is taken.56 While there are no House Rules regarding the consequences of a “censure,” the two political parties in the House themselves have adopted their own internal party rules which in recent years have generally barred from the chairmanship of committees and subcommittees those Members who have been censured during that Congress.57 Political party rules of the parties in the House may be changed by the particular party caucus or conference itself according to its own rules.

and this:

Upon making a report recommending to the House a “censure” or a “reprimand,” the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct may also include in that report a recommendation for an additional action such as a fine, a restitution or payment of funds, or recommendations for the loss of seniority or privileges, when such actions are deemed appropriate.

(Source: Expulsion, Censure, Reprimand, and Fine: Legislative Discipline in the House of Representatives)

Basically, censure usually consists of sitting the offender down in a time-out chair and saying "bad girl!" (or boy) in front of the whole House. Big whoop
Though if they pass the second resolution Waters would be asked to issue a formal apology to Prez. Trump et al and a public statement disavowing violence. However, it doesn't look like the House really has any way to actually make her do that. Unless I'm missing something there in the source, she can just thumb her nose at them and continue to squawk about being a victim of the evil Republicans.

On the other hand, just acknowledging that this kind of behavior is wrong by making the gesture of censuring her is a good gesture, and surprises me in light of what the congresswoman from Kansas City got away with during election year (calling for Trump to be assassinated, in case anyone forgot).

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The old ho is a Plantation Democrat and many will be tired of her. The old school plantation followers will love her, just give them enough to survive and they are happy. Uncle Toms as they call them might be a political party.

But blacks have been dumped for the Latino vote SOOOOO???

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
What you dont know what your talking about shes a progressive. Some of her policies are not bad as far as economy and social issues. The problem is she went off the deep end dealing with Donald Trump. Her hostility started when he was elected and hasnt let up since.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Did Maxine report these threats? Because I haven't seen anything about her reporting anything or the person being arrested. Meanwhile, Rand Paul was recently threatened (again) and the person has already been arrested. Capitol police will go after these people.

Did she really get threatened, or did she just say she did?

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Did she really get threatened, or did she just say she did?

Excellent question!

And the only one that really matters at this point.

Why do clowns always seem surprised to find out there's a whole lot more to the circus than just their little act?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join