It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hunter: Russia's Claimed new Heavy (stealthy?) UAV supposed to start testing in 2019

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Until they make brain bleach, I don't want to see you try.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Until they make brain bleach, I don't want to see you try.

I’m sure you’ve seen worse sir, ever been to Berkeley? That place always gave me the skeeves, freaks and geeks a plenty!

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

No, and I plan to keep it that way. There are places even I won't go, even on a bet.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

No, and I plan to keep it that way. There are places even I won't go, even on a bet.

Smart man I was drug there as a kid more times than I’d like to admit have never gone on my own volition.
edit on 7/12/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I've been past the exit for it and that's way too close for my liking.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Russia’s new heavy unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Okhotnik (Hunter), performed its first ground run on the runway of the aviation plant in Novosibirsk earlier this month, a Russian aircraft industry source has told TASS.

"The trial model of the Okhotnik UAV made its first run on the runway of the Novosibirsk Aircraft Production Plant, gathering the speed of 200 kmph in line with the program of trials. The takeoff was not performed," the source said. "Okhotnik performed taxi, ground run, acceleration and stoppage at the end of the runway in fully automated mode."

www.ruaviation.com...

Reading the article, it doesn't sound like the Russians are super confident in the drone. They won't go from taxi runs to first flight, but to doing 'hops' where the rone very briefly takes off and then lands. Is that more common than I think?

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It's not uncommon. Look how many UAV projects have had stability issues related only to the FCS or interface. Loses at the beginning of a program are pretty common. I know we lose dozens every year and those are proven platforms, not prototypes.
You take a short hop, gain some altitude over a long runway, make sure she's stable and grab/verify a few data points and put her back down.
So conservative, yes-- in a way, definitely. Just like you typically don't retract gear on the first few flights. It's one less thing to go wrong while you're collecting data, and with only one or two prototypes, the loss of one can severely hamper your program.
Or conversely you can say they are pushing the program faster than the simulations and testing can validate. In that sense, they are being aggressive and speeding up the program, a la Musk.
They were supposed to do glide testing last month. So presumably they are comfortable enough with those results to move on with the automated powered flight portion. Maybe they are tweaking the FCS based on what they found, and want to take it slow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join