It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schumer Introduces Marijuana Freedom and Opportunity Act

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

I think its funny that legal even means anything with this issue. Oklahoma just passed legal. I hope it does not disrupt the stable 20yr supply we have had on hand. hahaha

Our government is not some God, its just other peoples opinion of how we should act. Like the dems, gov has over played their hand.

i obeyed my parents because i respected them, not because they said so.
edit on 28-6-2018 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: projectvxn

I suspect many may not support this because Democrat.

Trump has even Indicated he was supportive of such legislation.

That's Washington for you.....All they can agree about it Pot.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

We're talking Schumer here.

He will destroy it's passing if he can. He's a pure political animal and I doubt he cares about this in the first place. Both parties use that technique to kill Bills by introducing a conflicting one. I would not break out the champagne yet. Both Bills are likely dead now.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Trump has stated he'd support something like the bi-partisan Bill to make it a States issue. This Bill is a scam I'm sure. Bipartisan is not in Schumer's vocabulary. His only goal is obstruction at any cost. He won't support States Rights, ever. Not his bag, man.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

a lot of African Americans who got their lives destroyed over pot are going to be furious...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Incentive sealing and Expungement programs: The legislation authorizes grant programs to encourage state and local governments to administer, adopt, or enhance expungement or sealing programs for marijuana possession convictions. The bill provides $100 million over five years to the DOJ to carry out this purpose.

They put some provisions in this bill for funding for states to work on this.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I disagree, it can be a very effecient crop for the amount of resources that can be produced and speed of growth, which could be a reason it gets stomped out. Its will start like a craft industry until certain companies get big enough or large corporation realise they are missing out.

Good for you Chuck, hopefully they are finally taking note that eventually they have to give in to some of the demands of the American people.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Yes, we are talking about Chuck Schumer long-term political animal. Let's face it, legalizing pot is a hot-button issue whose time has probably come. The leadership seems to have coordinated on this one, and it's smart. Even if they lose one, they win. No, they don't probably give a shot about what Americans want, need or have a right to ... but they do crave power.

This is probably the smartest thing I've seen the Dems do in a decade. IMO.
edit on 28-6-2018 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Schumer Introduces Marijuana Freedom and Opportunity Act

Wonder how that would look on a normal job application ?
Bet Chuck E. wouldn't get that job.
Too many respectable folks left in the country.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

"I'd love to be proven wrong... But hemp seems to only be a cash crop of a long gone era."

You only need to look north, hemp is a billion dollar industry in Canada. Maybe the ball is rolling in the US with Canada having legal MJ coast to coast on Oct. 17 .

edit on 28-6-2018 by Grayarea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Kind of like the 70's with the hippies and stoners all saying"Vote for Brown" he will legalize pot!,and look where that got us,the liberals are real good at 3 card monty

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   
( I do not care if its legalized or not)

But this is political theater, his part has a weak platform, has members openly calling for the harassment of federal officials of the opposing party and their families.

The democrats desperately need good press to try and gain some independent voters so they can make up ground.

I will believe this gesture when its voted on and passed, until them... pure theater.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Did Trump sign that?

It's the current Farm Bill.

If he hasn't, he will.

Decriminalizing hemp is a huge issue with the Agricultural sector.

Tons of money to be made there domestically.

the house version of the farm bill doesnt have the hemp in it. so the two versions have to come together. not sure how that works.

From there it will end up in a conference with the House version and lawmakers from the two chambers will have to work out a compromise.

The final deal will probably exclude the House changes to SNAP. Despite his earlier threat, Trump is unlikely to veto a bill that is critical to the struggling farming community that has also been hit hard by recent retaliatory tariffs on agriculture exports.

McConnell will likely get his wish of legalizing hemp production, which has become an important industry in his home state of Kentucky.

McConnell, a member of the Agriculture Committee, authored a bill to decriminalize hemp and the language is now included in the farm bill. For the past few years, Kentucky farmers and a few other states had been permitted to grow hemp for industrial purposes under a special federal program. Hemp is used for protein powder, health products and clothing, among others.

“Federal law has mostly prohibited our own farmers from getting in on the action,” McConnell said.

Senate farm bill vote sets up clash with house
edit on 29-6-2018 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Did Trump sign that?

Decriminalizing hemp is a huge issue with the Agricultural sector.

Tons of money to be made there domestically.

How so?

Firstly, the US are a little late to the party when it comes to legalizing hemp... Secondly, the majority of countries that have already re-legalized hemp production, aren't exactly making a killing from it.

I'd love to be proven wrong... But hemp seems to only be a cash crop of a long gone era.

What a crock, hemp has so many uses, not only that but it out performs many items that are used instead of it , it's fast growing , environmentally friendly and a great source of nutrition.... Cash crop of a long gone era my ass...

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

a lot of African Americans who got their lives destroyed over pot are going to be furious...

Come on now race has very little to do with anything anyone can get screwed by the ridiculous criminalization of a practically harmless plant.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Honestly I commend him. He's probably just trying to save himself but at least it's something good.

I would love to see a group of politicians jump on board and use this as the November platforms.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Good ol' Shumey!

Maybe its for Auntie Maxxine's attitude problem

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

If it kills the Bill that will pass, I think that's their goal. So they can lie and say look at us we tried, when in fact they had the exact opposite intention. Voters don't look deep enough to see how they are manipulated. That bi-partisan Bill has a real chance, this one does not and no way will it do anything other than kill both.

The only thing in Schumers head right now is how can we lie, cheat or manipulate people to keep voting for us. He's another Harry Reid. Not sure why the Dem's stay with people like that. Trump is a mess, but people like Schumer are plain old fashioned shysters. Both parties are full of them.

I'd hope the other Bill does pass and States Rights are upheld in a way it will get signed.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Typical politician, push their back to the wall and they will finally keep a promise.

Schumer pulled his support from a similar act earlier in the month, after President Trump endorsed it. Could we see a repeat?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join